PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Halifax Away Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Halifax Away Match Thread  (Read 14255 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Halifax Away Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2023, 12:46:08 PM »

Always good to have a moment of calm once we've all slept on it; the fact we're furious to come away from the Shay without three points, on New Years Day and on an absolute dog of a pitch, is testament to how far we've come. That said, there's nothing wrong with continuing to demand more - as I'm sure Parky does - and it's a nice position to be in that we're doing so well and yet there's still some very obvious areas of improvement.

Parky did get it wrong - he's not perfect, but the in-game management does seem to be his most glaring weakness of the lot, given we've been here before.

Chris Conn-Clarke was having a stinker from around 50-70; for the first equaliser, it wasn't too dissimilar to the Brad Jackson one at Torquay that he got absolutely slaughtered for. Although that's where the comparisons end; you leave CCC on the pitch for those moments of quality which are sadly well beyond Jackson's capability. He also looks to be carrying a bit too much weight in my opinion.

Halifax could end up in the playoffs - and they looked poor for large periods of both games because we made them look that way. I'm confident that the days of being 'Conferenced to Death' by outfits like Bromley are a thing of the past and that we can get back on track.

Ah, "dog of a pitch". Could Dinanga have been 100% sure that the ball would not hit a divot and deflect wide? That the defender running back wouldn't stop it? And was he really off-side? Did he even have time to think about all this, and is he perhaps a bit rusty with his relative lack of game time recently? Here's the video anyway. Stop it at about 5.33 and see what you think.

http://altyfans.co.uk/index.php?topic=26207.30

For all the points you mention, earlier in this same thread I mentioned that the game management from the touchline cheesed me off much more than the split second actions of Dinanga.

That said, all of your points would have been analysed by a better forward and the correct decision made. Alas, Dinanga is not one of those individuals. Could I be certain that Conor Jennings or Jordan Hulme would have acted differently? No, probably not - but then again, we need a better quality than all of them.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2023, 01:30:43 PM »

Having watched the disallowed goal live at the game then again on the highlights the ball is at least a third of the way on its journey to Dinanga when he runs past a static last defender.
 The liner (I refuse to give him the kudos of assistant referee) was obviously going to thrust his flag skyward at the defenders request as he had spent all afternoon delighting in being the centre of attention whilst being blissfully unaware of what he was flagging for. I think Jordan would have banged it in too as offside appeared not to be an issue. Ref should have got the liner to call ins and outs only and replaced his flag with a white hankie.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2023, 03:37:25 PM »

The ball was on the line when he riffled it in. He didn't not know it was going wide; it was going in. The  defenders were crestfallen in as soon as colcolugh hit it and sprung back to life on dinanga hitting it in to appeal.

He was onside, but it was purely selfish to take a goal off a teammate, whether he needs them for his goal bonus, to earn a start of continue his career.

He was onside, and the lineman, flagged, very late.
It's all my fault.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2023, 04:11:22 PM »

The ball was on the line when he riffled it in. He didn't not know it was going wide; it was going in. The  defenders were crestfallen in as soon as colcolugh hit it and sprung back to life on dinanga hitting it in to appeal.

He was onside, but it was purely selfish to take a goal off a teammate, whether he needs them for his goal bonus, to earn a start of continue his career.

Agreed. Stupid and selfish. Not a team man for me.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2023, 04:28:05 PM »

the warning signs have been there for a while sadly and I agree around the player element his reaction ( or lack of it ) to one the best goals scored in recent years is very odd to me . It's been noted elsewhere be great one level down . https://youtu.be/COiKU7rfrIY 8.50 onwards . He meanders over as a token getsture in my opinion
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 04:35:57 PM by wayno »
ParkINson's red and white army

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2023, 05:21:56 PM »

the warning signs have been there for a while sadly and I agree around the player element his reaction ( or lack of it ) to one the best goals scored in recent years is very odd to me . It's been noted elsewhere be great one level down . https://youtu.be/COiKU7rfrIY 8.50 onwards . He meanders over as a token getsture in my opinion

Ollie Byrne gets to CCC quicker than Dinanga.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2023, 05:26:16 PM »

Possibly the most surprising aspect of that controversial late incident at The Shay is that Dinanga didn't still somehow contrive to miss the target.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2023, 05:50:59 PM »

Possibly the most surprising aspect of that controversial late incident at The Shay is that Dinanga didn't still somehow contrive to miss the target.

Made I larf!
(wish I could give you a Goodwin) 😊
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2023, 06:29:57 PM »

Made I larf!
(wish I could give you a Goodwin) 😊
bring back Peaks !! 😂😂

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2023, 06:30:27 PM »

Ollie Byrne gets to CCC quicker than Dinanga.
tickled me that

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2023, 09:47:31 PM »

Always good to have a moment of calm once we've all slept on it; the fact we're furious to come away from the Shay without three points, on New Years Day and on an absolute dog of a pitch, is testament to how far we've come. That said, there's nothing wrong with continuing to demand more - as I'm sure Parky does - and it's a nice position to be in that we're doing so well and yet there's still some very obvious areas of improvement.

Parky did get it wrong - he's not perfect, but the in-game management does seem to be his most glaring weakness of the lot, given we've been here before.

Chris Conn-Clarke was having a stinker from around 50-70; for the first equaliser, it wasn't too dissimilar to the Brad Jackson one at Torquay that he got absolutely slaughtered for. Although that's where the comparisons end; you leave CCC on the pitch for those moments of quality which are sadly well beyond Jackson's capability. He also looks to be carrying a bit too much weight in my opinion.

Halifax could end up in the playoffs - and they looked poor for large periods of both games because we made them look that way. I'm confident that the days of being 'Conferenced to Death' by outfits like Bromley are a thing of the past and that we can get back on track.

Ah, "dog of a pitch". Could Dinanga have been 100% sure that the ball would not hit a divot and deflect wide? That the defender running back wouldn't stop it? And was he really off-side? Did he even have time to think about all this, and is he perhaps a bit rusty with his relative lack of game time recently? Here's the video anyway. Stop it at about 5.33 and see what you think.

http://altyfans.co.uk/index.php?topic=26207.30

For all the points you mention, earlier in this same thread I mentioned that the game management from the touchline cheesed me off much more than the split second actions of Dinanga.

That said, all of your points would have been analysed by a better forward and the correct decision made. Alas, Dinanga is not one of those individuals. Could I be certain that Conor Jennings or Jordan Hulme would have acted differently? No, probably not - but then again, we need a better quality than all of them.

It looks like they're doing something about it anyway.

https://altrinchamfc.com/blogs/news/welcome-to-alty-michael-clegg-former-ashton-boss-is-robins-new-chief-scout

From what I remember, Atherton Collieries looked a decent enough side in that game going into their first season at NPL Premier. When you think that a few years back, they were the second team in Atherton (To Atherton Labernum Rovers, whatever a "labernum" is), it is remarkable what they achieved in getting to that level. After the inevitable rebuilding job his season, I hope that they can make a real go at getting a forward of the quality of Newby for a whole season in the next year or two. Before he left, we were looking like a team good enough to compete for a play-off, and the challenge now is to maintain that sort of quality over a whole season. FC Halifax have possibly managed it with former County man Warburton, and I assume they are not repeating the financial mistakes of the defunct Halifax Town, so hopefully we can manage it too.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2023, 09:56:05 PM »

The 'laburnum' comes from the laburnum playing fields where they originally played.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2023, 10:02:59 PM »

Ah yes, a bit like Bradford (Park Avenue) - who should really be called "Bradford (Park Avenue (Now Cemetery Road (Mind The Cricket Balls!)))F.C."!  :)

I suppose they haven't confirmed for certain what a "yeltz" is at Halesowen? Then again, my native Aberdeen couldn't say for certain why they were the "Dons", last I heard. And as for the Grapplers! The mists of time...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:08:36 PM by Hugh »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2023, 10:10:26 PM »

Yeltz comes from the local pronunciation of Yeltz own.
Dons is a diminutive of Aberdonian.

HTH 😉

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2023, 10:53:49 PM »

There was also a theory that it was related to Aberdeen (or one of their three predecessors (one of whom were involved in a record 36-0 scoreline I think)) being formed by teachers, as I understand. I'm not sure that it's even certain that Aberdeen is formed from a contraction of Don and Dee, the two rivers in that city. Apparently there was also more than one theory about the Yeltz, so I suppose what I really mean is can these other theories definitively be dismissed? And then there's the Grapplers. And what was Rigby Memorial School actually in memory of? And I think I read somewhere that Altrincham F.C. used to be called Broadheath Manchester - was this simply a mistake? Interesting stuff.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Halifax Away Match Thread