News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Rub of the Green

Author Topic: The Rub of the Green  (Read 1768 times)

taxi Phil

The Rub of the Green
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:41:22 PM »

Many teams over the years have been labelled "too good to go down" - and have then done so.

In many cases, there has been a distinct lack of good fortune come their way over the course of the season.

It was there to see with us today. I believe that when Robbie went off, the whole complexion of the game changed - I was sure we were going to win at that juncture. The penalty decision was dreadful. On one occasion their keeper totally mishandled a shot - it could have gone in, but went three feet the WRONG side of the post. I could go on.

The trouble is, I've got a horrible feeling we're going to see this pattern repeated over and over again. Then players' heads drop, and that awful losing mentality develops.

I DON'T BELIEVE THAT IT HAS YET ! Our next three games are all against opposition that we should have some chance of getting a result from. A win at Gateshead is possible if we go there with the right positive outlook. Eastbourne are not Barcelona - we can get at least a point there. Barrow at home - get out there and win it lads ! Seven points from those three, and we're back in the mix. 

joe

Re: The Rub of the Green
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:10:59 PM »

Many teams over the years have been labelled "too good to go down" - and have then done so.

In many cases, there has been a distinct lack of good fortune come their way over the course of the season.

It was there to see with us today. I believe that when Robbie went off, the whole complexion of the game changed - I was sure we were going to win at that juncture. The penalty decision was dreadful. On one occasion their keeper totally mishandled a shot - it could have gone in, but went three feet the WRONG side of the post. I could go on.

The trouble is, I've got a horrible feeling we're going to see this pattern repeated over and over again. Then players' heads drop, and that awful losing mentality develops.

I DON'T BELIEVE THAT IT HAS YET ! Our next three games are all against opposition that we should have some chance of getting a result from. A win at Gateshead is possible if we go there with the right positive outlook. Eastbourne are not Barcelona - we can get at least a point there. Barrow at home - get out there and win it lads ! Seven points from those three, and we're back in the mix. 

Good post! Gateshead shipped 5 yesterday and are not a good side so we must try and get three points there. Eastbourne look a half decent side judging by their start to the season and indeed came from behind yesterday to take a point with only 9 men including playing more than half the match with a midfielder in goal! I'd be delighted with a point there. Barrow should be our first home win.

markecky

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »

Gateshead fans were calling for the managers head on Saturday  :D

I agree with the above and I also feel that Gateshead will underestimate us just as we would them.  Yes we are struggling but we ain't as bad as 1 point from 7 games.

brian1925

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »

I have a strange feeling we'll win this one, which is indeed a strange feeling, given I have seen our last few games! James McCarthy had far too many chances against Kiddy not to score and I think he'll get a couple against Gateshead. There you go, 3-1 to us - with it being 0-0 at half time and with us conceding after 70 minutes of course.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »

With Clee back in (hopefully) I think this is the turnround game.

Liked the look of Hewson but he's another one playing catch-up with his match fitness.

McCarthy to score a brace, one from Reeves and we'll win  3-2.

As fans we need to keep the faith and hope this instills more belief in the players.

Full time and proud of it

andrewflynn

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 07:49:47 PM »

Gutted I wont be able to make it to Gateshead because, in theory, it will be a much better game than Eastbourne. Extremely winnable though, come on you Reds.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Rub of the Green