PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ian Craney Signs For Fleetwood Town
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ian Craney Signs For Fleetwood Town  (Read 4622 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 25, 2010, 03:06:58 PM »

Fleetwood Town have made a significant addition to their squad ahead of their first season in the Blue Square Bet Premier with the signing of Ian Craney.

The attacking midfielder has made 132 Football League starts as well as being part of Accrington Stanley’s victorious Conference-winning team in 2005-06. Ian has also scored 24 League and Cup goals for his four League clubs.

Liverpool-born Craney cannot wait for the season to start, having closely watched Town’s progress in the Conference North.

‘I’ve been following the promotion push all through the season. It’s been really exciting and I came on the last day of season to see them being promoted. I’ve been absolutely overwhelmed by the set-up and the ambition surrounding the club. Then I got talking to Micky Mellon and the rest is history!’

There are some familiar faces amongst Craney’s new team-mates:

‘I know some of the players, including Anthony Barry, Steve McNulty and Peter Cavanagh, and I went to school with Mike Taylor. I was also at Accrington and Huddersfield with ‘SOS’ (team physio, Ian Liversedge).’

Craney’s footballing journey has taken him around a number of north western clubs:

‘I was at Everton as kid then went to Runcorn before Mark Ward took me to Altrincham where I had 4 or 5 great seasons and did really well.’

Craney averaged one goal per 4 games at Moss Lane. In 2004, Accrington Stanley gave him the opportunity to go full-time which was a big decision to make:

‘I had a good job at the time but the chance to go full-time was a dream. I’m glad I did it because in my second season we won the Conference and went into the Football League.’

Since leaving Stanley in 2007, Craney has played for Swansea City, Huddersfield Town and, most recently, Morecambe. Craney signed at Christie Park for the 2009-10 season on loan from Huddersfield. After 16 League and two Cup appearances for the Shrimps, his season was cut short by injury. He believes that his experience will help the squad and looks forward to offering ‘desire and leadership, as well as skill and craft on the pitch.’

‘I’m a ball player and like getting the ball down and playing it around. I’ve played at a good standard and won this league before so know what it takes. Micky Mellon has produced a good little squad at Fleetwood and there’s a great chance of going up again. That’s what we should be aiming for, otherwise there’s no point in being in the league.’

Having witnessed the support of the Cod Army in the play-off final, Craney is eager to play in front of them:

‘I’ve been impressed by the Cod Army and didn’t expect a fan base like that in Conference North. I can’t wait to start. I shall be watching the World Cup and going away for a couple of weeks but want to be flying by the opening match on 14th August and be fully fit after a good pre-season.’

27-year old Craney clearly has the ambition and desire to become a key part of an ambitious set-up, as well as a crowd favourite.

The midfielder joins Town subject to a medical later this week and Micky Mellon welcomed his first signing of the summer.

“I’m delighted we have signed a player of such quality. Ian will, no doubt, help us compete in a very strong Conference National league next season.”

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Ian Craney Signs For Fleetwood Town
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »

He seems to have some genuine reasons for deciding to go there. However, at 27 I reckon he could have done a lot better than Fleetwood.

Come on Alty!

fuertes

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »

He seems to have some genuine reasons for deciding to go there. However, at 27 I reckon he could have done a lot better than Fleetwood.

If he had his heart set on the Northwest these lot were probably the best financial option by a long way.

They're really going sh*t or bust at this. It'll be interesting to see whether crowds hold up given Blackpool are now in the Premier League.

If they're 25/1 or longer I'm having a punt on them the day the odds are released. I'll find it hilarious if they fail, whilst if they do go up I'll be pleased to be a tad richer.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 04:11:05 PM »

If he had his heart set on the Northwest these lot were probably the best financial option by a long way.

I wouldn't disagree with that, I just meant he could have played at a higher level.

According to a post on Confguide from a Morecambe fan, he had serious fitness issues last season while he was there and then he got injured. It will be interesting to see if he is back to his best next season.

Come on Alty!

Dougals Dad

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:54:59 PM »

Are Fleetwad full time next season?

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 05:31:04 PM »

I think they've been full-time for a while haven't they?

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 05:46:53 PM »

Full Time!!

All players, wives, offspring and pets are to be flown out to South Africa for the final 2 weeks of the world cup, followed by a 3 week pre-season tour of the country (you can't beat altitude training you know). Then back home to entertain Chelsea and Barca for a couple more pre-seasons.

Full time and proud of it

Dougals Dad

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »

Full Time!!

All players, wives, offspring and pets are to be flown out to South Africa for the final 2 weeks of the world cup, followed by a 3 week pre-season tour of the country (you can't beat altitude training you know). Then back home to entertain Chelsea and Barca for a couple more pre-seasons.

is that a yes or a no?  ;)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 07:38:41 PM »

Somone said they are going "Sh*t or Bust"...........if that is the case then it is likely to be bust.

Darlington, Luton, York, Grimsby, Rushden, Mansfield and Wrexham all have serious ambitions too.

Then of course there are the pretenders to the crown in Cambridge, Kettering and Crawley (the team with the leagues smallest budget by far!)

Heres hoping it all ends in tears
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 07:59:38 PM »

Are Fleetwad full time next season?

They announced they were going full time after they won the playoffs.

Heres hoping it all ends in tears

I know what you mean, but it would be just typical if they "did an Accrington", pissing off everybody they come across and acting with no class but still achieving success.
Come on Alty!

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 08:48:05 PM »

Fleetwood Town are the new Grays Athletic.

VofD

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 09:43:09 PM »

IAN CRANEY = CASH,CASH,CASH. A  good football league player going to a first term NL Premier team, it WILL all end in tears. But then these days, most footballers are , basically, MERCENARIES.

markecky

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 10:24:38 PM »

IAN CRANEY = CASH,CASH,CASH. A  good football league player going to a first term NL Premier team, it WILL all end in tears. But then these days, most footballers are , basically, MERCENARIES.

Well said.

What a cringeworthy load of bollocks about the "Cod Army"...he simply went "how much...i wasn't on that at Swansea!" and "where do I sign"

I loved Ian Craney for what he did here but spare us the secret Fleetwood fan nonsense.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 10:44:43 PM »

Well said.

What a cringeworthy load of bollocks about the "Cod Army"...he simply went "how much...i wasn't on that at Swansea!" and "where do I sign"

I loved Ian Craney for what he did here but spare us the secret Fleetwood fan nonsense.

I reckoned there was something fishy about his statement!

taxi Phil

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 07:27:04 AM »

Cod Army ? Codswallop !
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team