PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Rumours re Solihull Moors
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rumours re Solihull Moors  (Read 4380 times)

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours re Solihull Moors
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2022, 11:53:01 PM »

If Sale & Salford City get their way at Barton, Salford Red Devils will end up at Moor Lane, tiny tiny stadium. Does anyone remember Trafford Borough at Alty ?

IIRC, for whatever reason, Blackpool Borough moved to Trafford, but it was quite short lived.

Anyone remember how the pitch coped with it?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2022, 11:48:04 AM »

If Sale & Salford City get their way at Barton, Salford Red Devils will end up at Moor Lane, tiny tiny stadium. Does anyone remember Trafford Borough at Alty ?

IIRC, for whatever reason, Blackpool Borough moved to Trafford, but it was quite short lived.

Not very well, as I recall.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2022, 12:19:30 PM »

Not very well, as I recall.

That was one of the gripes County fans had about Sale Sharks playing at Edgeley Park

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2022, 01:27:32 PM »

I remember hearing something about Graham Heathcote phoning up the Rugby League match referee and asking or demanding that  the RL match be postponed as we had an important game the following day, and he didn't want the pitch ruined. Both games actually went ahead.
I am not 100% sure, but think this may have been before the famous 4-1 win over Barnet in 1991. Was that on Easter Saturday? If so, there would have been rugby league on the Good Friday.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2022, 08:44:12 PM »

Drax trains now!

I'm sure  there was talk some years ago of building one or two new stations on the Skelton to Stockport stretch, including in Baguley to link up with the metrolink. I suppose it's one of those projects that has gone by the board, like the reopening of the Carrington line, or the Western airport link from Mobberley/Ashley.

If they got the station, and trains at least every half hour, Brooklands roundabout would be ok.

You are right. There was talk about a Baguley interchange with the Metrolink, along with some other stations, although I don't think it ever went beyond talk that it would be a good idea, which it is.

As for Solihull, Birmingham/Solihull Bees actually have their own ground at Portway nowadays out in the countryside south of  Birmingham, which they share with Midlands Hurricanes RL.

A passenger route going through near on ten miles of heavily populated area without an intermediary station is a nonsense, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was unique in England - though to be fair the line might have closed by now if it wasn't for the freight.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2022, 10:44:01 PM »

Drax trains now!

I'm sure  there was talk some years ago of building one or two new stations on the Skelton to Stockport stretch, including in Baguley to link up with the metrolink. I suppose it's one of those projects that has gone by the board, like the reopening of the Carrington line, or the Western airport link from Mobberley/Ashley.

If they got the station, and trains at least every half hour, Brooklands roundabout would be ok.

You are right. There was talk about a Baguley interchange with the Metrolink, along with some other stations, although I don't think it ever went beyond talk that it would be a good idea, which it is.

As for Solihull, Birmingham/Solihull Bees actually have their own ground at Portway nowadays out in the countryside south of  Birmingham, which they share with Midlands Hurricanes RL.

A passenger route going through near on ten miles of heavily populated area without an intermediary station is a nonsense, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was unique in England - though to be fair the line might have closed by now if it wasn't for the freight.

It feels like a bit like cheating somehow, but I could give you the HS1 line which carries domestic passenger services to Kent as well as international ones, and has a run of 17 miles between stations at Stratford International and Ebbsfleet International.  Lots of the places it passes through have  stations on other lines, but so do Baguley and Gatley in between Skelton and Edgeley junctions.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Rumours re Solihull Moors