PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lack of height in the back line
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lack of height in the back line  (Read 3948 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:40:53 AM »

Summed up in one cross....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za26QxZkR4c

Need welch in that back three, joseph is too small.  >:(

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of height in the back line
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:02:26 AM »

I agree with Hughesy, it was the first time I had seen Joseph, he talks and organises a lot but he isn’t tall enough. A fit Welch would be more commanding in the air and on the floor. I thought we did well last night, first half was scrappy from both teams but second half we came out and played some good footy. Reeves and Denham hassled all night and it was their persistent pressure that got us the goal. I liked the look of our forward line but we still need Dale in the forward line for his strength and height, good to have all these choices. Hopefully the likes of big john McAs - whatever his name was are gone for good. We need Crowell and Tom in mid though, Lawton looks fitter but never makes himself available for the ball, there were times when our full backs had no midfield option. Anthony and Robbie are ball winners and that’s it, we need to drop one and have a centre mid who can play so hopefully Crowell will be available on Sat. Definitely our best formation last night. Did anyone else notice how much we have taken in the pitch on the far side? tactical I reckon at an attempt to close down the opposition quicker when they play it out wide from the back.

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:11:36 AM »

Last minute goals are always extra special to celebrate but for me there was a certain sweet irony in Darlington fans celebrating a last minute equaliser against us.

2 last gasp goals are the difference between 1 point and 4....anything we got from our first two games we would have taken beforehand and there are signs we can beat a few of the big boys this season once the 'cote has taken hughsey's sage advice and tweaked a few deficiencies.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:23:46 AM »

Similar to Lutons first goal.

A back line of Smith, Robbie, Welchy and Matty is called for.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 11:51:15 AM »

Similar to Lutons first goal.

A back line of Smith, Robbie, Welchy and Matty is called for.

Smithy is of much more use in the middle of the back four.. He reads the game like a book and mops up the bits perfectly.
Having him on the flank would take away that ability

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »

Maybe when we're under pressure toward the end of a game (The period after Darlington's first goal being a prime example) we should go to four at the back and four in midfield thereby putting two banks of four in front of the opposition

Just a suggestion and not a criticism

Any views?

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 12:03:26 PM »

We still need two tall centre backs. Put Smithy in a  back three with Shaun and Matty as full backs then.
Defending headers is vitally important in this league as so many goals come from set pieces and crosses.

fuertes

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 12:29:48 PM »

We definitely have the players for 3-5-2. It was even better when Youngy was here as he could be left of the three. Still, Welch and Williams as the big fellas to go in and win the challenges, Smith as the extra man to mop things up. Doughty/Brown and Densmore are ideal wing-backs. Can play at the back or in midfield, so they're equipped to do anything required of them as wing-backs.

Clee left of a midfield three, Danylyk central running around/harrassing, Crowell right. Dale and Reeves up front.

Still, the Cote is right more often than not. I'm sure he'll shuffle things around as he sees fit.

jamestimperleyrobin

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 01:30:37 PM »

At times like this I would relish a 1 hour/ 1 hour 30 minutes training session on a Monday before a Tuesday evening game. On the bright side, 2-2 is a result I would have took before the game

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 01:46:24 PM »

At times like this I would relish a 1 hour/ 1 hour 30 minutes training session on a Monday before a Tuesday evening game.

Afetr a ahrd agem at Luton on Saturday? I'm glad you would, the players wouldn't.

jamestimperleyrobin

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 01:51:19 PM »

At times like this I would relish a 1 hour/ 1 hour 30 minutes training session on a Monday before a Tuesday evening game.

Afetr a ahrd agem at Luton on Saturday? I'm glad you would, the players wouldn't.

yeah well you don't play teams like Luton week in week out

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 01:57:33 PM »

a hard game against Luton that should read.

Even so, training the night before a game is not great, our lads looked knakered as it was toward the end last night.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 03:07:55 PM »

so joseph isnt up to it, like ellander, clee and johnson after they had signed, give the player a chance
Bernard Taylors barmy army

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 03:26:37 PM »

Are you suggesting we give him a chance to grow to the required height for the job?
How long do you think this process will take?

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 03:32:26 PM »

so joseph isnt up to it, like ellander, clee and johnson after they had signed, give the player a chance

I agree, he looked good in preseason and not seen enough of him yet, time will tell.

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team