News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Re Stewarding, Sterile Areas etc

Author Topic: Re Stewarding, Sterile Areas etc  (Read 3974 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:18:04 PM »

I have been advised by friends not to read the responses to my observations on the "brawling league" thread

So I will instead post on this one that I was not commenting on the actualities of the sterile area implemented for the Wrexham friendly, or tbh any other game.

I have my personal views as to whether this was appropriate or excessive but that was not really the issue I was trying to address, more that these decisions are not purely arbitrary but are largely based on intelligence recieved from Local Authorities,  Police Services and travelling stewards mixed in with experience and training and all of this undertaken on an entirely voluntary basis.

I apologise if any of my postings on this matter have caused offence or irritation, that was never my intention.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Re Stewarding, Sterile Areas etc
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:32:07 PM »

I dont think anybody disagrees with segregation in the right circumstances but to have 3/4 of one side of a ground penned off to fans is in my view a little excessive to say the least - Given the recent Wrexham friendly why on earth was a little common sense not used by Whoever is in ultimate charge that once they saw the small number of wrexham fans who actually turned up, could they not let the popular side supporters stand under the camera gantry as per normal

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:48:07 PM »

As we have seen on many, many away games; either stand without cover or pay to sit undercover. We should not be giving extra room to accommodate a couple of fans who dont.
In essence, by accommodating these supporters, it reduces to experience for too many home fans. Firstly, those who normally stand at the end of the Popular Side, secondly those who normally stand further down and are now much nearer to away supporters.
I simply do not see why, especially in the BSN, why we need to reduce the experience for so many home supporters. There seems to be many supporters who are not happy about this, and it is about time those who can make the decisions, to ensure all the home supporters can carry on enjoying the matches. The away end holds around 1400. Why carnt we partition part of this area off instead?
I am sure it is the volunteers best intentions to ensure Moss Lane is a safe and secure environment to watch a football game. However, having such a big sterile area is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »

I think the fans in general are slightly bemused by the fact that for some matches last season, we had segregation reaching from the away end all the way down to the middle of the popular side. This is fine in some circumstances. For example, when Wrexham brought 1000 with them a few seasons ago.

However, what I find strange is why we were doing it for games like Gainsborough? I get that there may have been local policing advice etc but this is overkill surely?
What's even weirder is why we do this now in the BSN but it was no problem for most of the time in the BSP. I'm sure we've stood right in the corner for games like York, Oxford and Millwall in the past. These are all teams with either large/notorious followings yet the original sterile area was deemed fine then by whichever local authorities/intelligence/stewards that investigated , so what's changed now??

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 07:28:24 AM »

Good example - Southport. Either you stand on the exposed end, or you sit in the stand. End of. If we need to segregate, similar arrangements are perfectly adequate.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:54:43 AM »

I have been advised by friends not to read the responses to my observations on the "brawling league thread"

Why would anyone advise you of that?  Can people not actually disagree about anything anymore? I'd read it if I were you, it contains some interesting observations, decent points and high praise for the clubs loyal volunteers.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:32:02 AM »

I think the fans in general are slightly bemused by the fact that for some matches last season, we had segregation reaching from the away end all the way down to the middle of the popular side. This is fine in some circumstances. For example, when Wrexham brought 1000 with them a few seasons ago.

However, what I find strange is why we were doing it for games like Gainsborough? I get that there may have been local policing advice etc but this is overkill surely?
What's even weirder is why we do this now in the BSN but it was no problem for most of the time in the BSP. I'm sure we've stood right in the corner for games like York, Oxford and Millwall in the past. These are all teams with either large/notorious followings yet the original sterile area was deemed fine then by whichever local authorities/intelligence/stewards that investigated , so what's changed now??

Exactly. Even against Northwich we've been allowed right in the corner.

I'm sorry ATS, but "intelligence from local authorities, police etc". We're not City, Utd or even Stockport. We play against teams with about 20 away fans, and I don't understand why as Golfroader says we have had to change things in the last couple of years when we had virtually no problems at all before then.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »

The one good thing about all this is that this topic seems to be quite high on posters agenda just now and with a little bit of luck and common sense the decision makers at the football club may take this on board and review their segregation policy to be a little more flexible & sensible.

Come on Gents this is  Alty in the BSN were talking about here,  not the Ultra's at the San Siro ffs.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »

As I asked on the other thread, name one other non-league club (or even lower league club) with such draconian segregation.

markecky

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:45:56 AM »

I have been advised by friends not to read the responses to my observations on the "brawling league" thread

So I will instead post on this one that I was not commenting on the actualities of the sterile area implemented for the Wrexham friendly, or tbh any other game.

I have my personal views as to whether this was appropriate or excessive but that was not really the issue I was trying to address, more that these decisions are not purely arbitrary but are largely based on intelligence recieved from Local Authorities,  Police Services and travelling stewards mixed in with experience and training and all of this undertaken on an entirely voluntary basis.

I apologise if any of my postings on this matter have caused offence or irritation, that was never my intention.

I suggest (if you haven't read it already) that you do.  There is no personal abuse that I can see, just people strongly disagreeing with something that is affecting their matchday experience.  There is a bit of a debate at the end that Butty seems to deal with and give a refs side of.

Is there anything worse than people who post their opinions on public discussion forums and then can't deal with it when the public discuss them?

Everyone understands that their has to be segregation in some games.  As I have said, segregate them all for me ( not a view shared by everyone).  What peoiple are saying is why has the normal sterile area suddenly become not enough when there has only been one incident with some York teenagers in the last 30 years?

And why are we inonveniencing 300 loyal customers for the benefit of 40?

And people have offered oither suggestions and ways around it?

roytonmike

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 10:40:11 AM »

In BSN segregation, sterile areas and the like should surely be very much the exception rather than the rule. As far as I can see, there's a good case to be made for segregation v Chester & Halifax on the grounds of likely numbers of visiting supporters; possibly also v Stalybridge on similar grounds; Bradford PA is something of an open question, and there might be a case for leaving a decision re Droylsden until the relative importance of that game to either or both sides is clearer. On the face of it I can see no need to segregate other games, given that Gainsborough & Boston are in deepest December; neither Brackley nor Oxford City are likely to bring more than a busload (if that).
Can I offer a couple of thoughts as general principles -
(a) where segregation of standing supporters is deemed necessary the following should apply - visiting standing supporters should be allocated the open end and any 'sterile area' should comprise no more than that part of the Popular Side between the 'raised roof' section and the open end
(b) in general a policy of reciprocation should apply, i.e. unless a visiting club segregates us we should not normally segregate them. 

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 11:44:01 AM »

You should read it and try answering some of the issues/questions raised, it’s a ridiculous situation that has been handled badly by whoever makes the calls. There seems to be no explanation given as to why the home fans are treated as they are and the segregation is as it is.  Common sense says you move it along to the raised roof of the pop side for very rare large away attendances say over 1000 and reduce the size of the away terrace for other situations. There has been no real trouble in that corner, Alty dont have a hooligan problem, if away supporters are set on causing trouble they will try and get in the home end "Golf Rd" which is where the main efforts of the stewards /police should be concentrated.
All the stewards do a grand job and everyone it grateful, this is a policy issue not an attack on the stewards which should be looked at reviewed and addressed, simple as that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:46:00 AM by altrincham »

Jezza

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 01:27:21 PM »

I sent ATS an anonymous mail;

Dear ATS

Do not read any replies to your post about the sterile area where you accuse socrates of taking a cheap shot before pointing out he does not volunteer to steward....there is some reasoned debate and sensible arguments to which that you may find difficult not to play devil's advocate or try to win the argument by using longer words than everyone else.......and to make things worse that git Jezza then compares a ref to hitler and you know how that affects your blood pressure....

yours

'a friend'

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team