News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Non League Paper Report

Author Topic: Non League Paper Report  (Read 2520 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Non League Paper Report
« on: August 21, 2011, 12:47:31 PM »

Further to my post of yesterday regarding the NLP promising a spread on the Alty match, to be honest it was not that much bigger than their previous reports, though there were a couple of good photos. Not what I expected for £1.50, and also if you look at the league table page they also had a score down as a 2-1 win with us just sneaking the game in the 90th minute. A few pages earlier they reported that the game was a comfortable 3-0 win, as it was! At least that report was accurate. I understood we were 9th, but they had is as eleventh.

The BBC syndrome must be catching, pity we're not a Southern team.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Non League Paper Report
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »

On the occasions I buy the NLP, I buy it to read-up on the whole non-league scene.......I could not be that bothered how much coverage our club has - I can find out everything I need to know about Altrincham FC from the AFC Website and this forum, including match reports and opinions of supporters who watched the game (and those that didn't !!)

I don't buy if often, but when compared to the Angling News or Knitting World, I find £1.50 not too bad
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »

Further to my post of yesterday regarding the NLP promising a spread on the Alty match, to be honest it was not that much bigger than their previous reports, though there were a couple of good photos. Not what I expected for £1.50, and also if you look at the league table page they also had a score down as a 2-1 win with us just sneaking the game in the 90th minute. A few pages earlier they reported that the game was a comfortable 3-0 win, as it was! At least that report was accurate. I understood we were 9th, but they had is as eleventh.

John Edwards was briefed to do a 400 word report, compared with the normal 250 words.....therefore it was 60% more than usual.We don't normally get any photos so with two photos & a report that is 60% more than is typical, I think that they have technically delivered what they promised.

The scoreline fiasco is nothing to do with the NLP....I think that probably was caused by an error by the Press Association which was syndicated to BBC, Sky, NLP, etc.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:48:26 PM by Brian Flynn »

robins1978

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 02:55:39 PM »

John Edwards was briefed to do a 400 word report, compared with the normal 250 words.....therefore it was 60% more than usual.We don't normally get any photos so with two photos & a report that is 60% more than is typical, I think that they have technically delivered what they promised.

The scoreline fiasco is nothing to do with the NLP....I think that probably was caused by an error by the Press Association which was syndicated to BBC, Sky, NLP, etc.
To have 2 different scorelines of the same game  in two places of the same paper must be a fault with the papers editorial staff ?

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 04:06:42 PM »

The Phrase "Non League Football scores and Reports" and the BBC are synonymous with sh*te reporting so I fear it wont be last time they balls our scoreline or report up..

The Paul Calf Phrase "Bag of sh*te"  comes to mind where the BBC is concerned...

Dougals Dad

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »

I can get as much as I want on the non -league scene from the brilliant John Laidlar.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 06:01:04 PM »

To have 2 different scorelines of the same game  in two places of the same paper must be a fault with the papers editorial staff ?

Without doubt............they are as guilty as everyone else, who also got it wrong in the same way.

I was just pointing out that the source of the error was not the NLP.

Robin Reliant

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 05:09:54 PM »

I can get as much as I want on the non -league scene from the brilliant John Laidlar.
And so say all of us..

And the BBC website still has the result as 2..1  today,Monday, at5pm  Shame on them >:( >:( >:(

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 08:40:33 PM »

We run a football predicta at work.........involves all the teams supported by the 22 of us who play it each week eg Macc, Stockport, Liverpool, Tranmere, Wigan + others.

The guy who runs it and 'marks' the papers each Sunday night was horrified at 2pm today when I told him we won 3-0. He had already paid out £22 to a Swansea City supporting colleague.

He had given 3 points to those who had predicted 2-1 and just a single point to those who predicted the result, but had got the score 'wrong' at 3-0 ! He had to retrieve all the predictions from the waste paper basket and re-score all the papers. Luckily it did not matter.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Non League Paper Report