PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Penalty
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Penalty  (Read 4344 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
The Penalty
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:32:16 PM »

Hi gang

First of all let me congratulate the team and management for a great result today. I saw one or two queries about the penalty, plus heard several people say why was it given as we walked out. Suspect one or two may not be sure, unless you were behind the goal, or behind Chris Senior. I was right behind the goal and had a clear view of the incident. First, for those fans unsure and also the Gateshead players, it was a stonewall penalty and the keeper was not the culprit. I thought the culprit was the red-headed centreback, no 6 I think. As Chris Senior went for the 50/50 ball with the keeper, his heel was clipped by the player as he went down with the keeper to try and keep the ball in play. I have to say it was pretty sneaky incident and was only viewable to the most eagle eyed ref. He did damn well to spot that as it happened so quickly, but as soon as he blew and pointed to the spot I knew exactly where he was coming from. It all happened so fast but that was a fabulous decision, and also the right one. To be honest I am not being biased here but that referee did not get much wrong on the night, but that was a great decision. It would have been easy to play a goal kick or corner or whatever it would have been, but to give the penalty at that stage in the game was brave, but he got it spot on.

Gatesheads players and fans can slag me off all they like but I believe they missed what I saw from my angle. Some other fans behind Chris Senior or to the left of the goal from the terracing may also have seen it.

Any body else wish to verify what I think I saw?

Who cares really, its about time WE had some luck

Steve from Sale

taxi Phil

Re: The Penalty
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:40:35 PM »

From my viewpoint, popular side, midway inside our half, it was absolutely nailed on. I suspect that those of us on that side had a better view of it the further away we were.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 07:48:57 AM »

I was stood in front of the kiosk at the Chequers end, very near to where the ref was, as it happens.
No doubt the defender impeded CS deliberately, my only fear was that the ref wouldn't see it, definitely the right decision.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:09:30 AM by chesteralty »

joe

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:49:41 AM »

Looked a nailed on pen from where i was in the Chequers corner of the Pop side. The ref seemed to give us quite alot of decisions last night to the annoyance of the Gateshead players but he definately got the penalty call correct.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 07:51:43 AM »

I was in the stand. It was a foul and therefor a penalty.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:58:58 AM »

Talk about what goes round, comes round

It was committed by the same player who yelled F Off on one occassion, when the fans behind the goal claimed an earlier penalty.

One of those occasions for a player when it suddenly goes quiet at the wrong time

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:07:55 AM »

I asked the guy next to me as I didn't see it, I thought he'd blown and Senior was going to get booked for the tackle on the keeper, referees never get credit but I thought he was a good one.

The keeper got what he deserved for turning and yelling after they went 2-1 up, prized first class clown, you could tell he was a kid.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:12:37 AM »

Football is an unpredictable game, and the young keeper learned a very hard lesson yesterday.

Never celebrate with a wind up against the home fans because it can come back and bite your ass. He was unfortunate that he had left his towel in the netting as he had to walk back face to face with the fans, when it was all over.

Justice done, but why could that not have happened to that Stafford/Macc keeper - Ryan somebody? Help me here!!

Jezza

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:21:21 AM »

I had actually walked round to the Golf Rd to be first in the bar at the end and from my view something was just wrong....it looked like senior had no chance to get the ball, the keeper and defender seemed to hesitate then senior seemed to be nailed on to nick it off the keeper but went down as the keeper dived on the ball...the ref was right up with play and blew immediatly.

I thought the ref got everything right last night, he was just very lax and allowed the gateshead players to cynically scythe down whichever alty player had just whizzed past (usually denham) time and time again.

I'm all for keepers having a bit of banter with the fans but this young guy was just gloating and making gestures behind his back at the chequers end....wonder if he'll do that at Luton or oxford?

Gateshead had a game plan very much like our own over the last few years and who can blame them?...and they possibly deserved a point (although they scored with their only two chances one of which was gifted from Stuart)...no ambition apart from to stop us playing......a few times we have got away with such tactics and pulled out a result....but more often than not how often were we suckered by a last minute goal against us.

markecky

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:44:03 AM »

I think the level of Gatesheads ambition was proved in the fact that I don;t think they had a corner.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 10:00:33 AM »

I think the level of Gatesheads ambition was proved in the fact that I don;t think they had a corner.

Can you blame them though ? There game plan was that of ours first (and sometimes now !) season up, sit back, soak it up away and if you gained something it was a bonus, and to be honest after 91 minutes they had got more than they bargained for in scoring 2 goals and 3 points dangling.

We've been there and done that

joe

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:33:58 PM »

Football is an unpredictable game, and the young keeper learned a very hard lesson yesterday.

Never celebrate with a wind up against the home fans because it can come back and bite your ass. He was unfortunate that he had left his towel in the netting as he had to walk back face to face with the fans, when it was all over.

Justice done, but why could that not have happened to that Stafford/Macc keeper - Ryan somebody? Help me here!!

That'll be Ryan Price aka Metal Mickey

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 01:36:35 PM »

It was a definate penalty, absolutely stonewall.

From the mausoleum you could see the angled pass Kearney(?) was about to make,as such I ahd my eye on Senior's run to see if he'd get there before the keeper. The defender then played "lazy man's football" (G. Heslop  ;) ) and decided to give what looked like a tug on Senior but others closer have said was just impeding him.

It was a penalty but many, many times they aren't given (the likes of Quinn, Creighton, Bentley etc are much cuter at these tricks and use their bodies to do this effectively). We were lucky in that the referee happened to be stood right near the centre half when he did it, I'm pretty certain if he'd have seen the ref he'd have just left Senior alone.

fwiw it looked like the keeper would've got there first and even if he hadn't Senior would've been way out of danger on the byline away from goal. Really poor decision making and possibly a reason why Gateshead seem to be constantly losing narrowly (they really did snatch defeat from the jaws of victory last night)

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 07:45:29 PM »

Even Gateshead admit it was a certain pen. Bodycheck / push by Curtis. They were obviously a bit unhappy with throwing the game away.

see www.gateshead-fc.com/report.php?i=1428

Hulme Robin

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:51:35 PM »

what a game

who needs united's 96 mins?

when you can have a 97th minute winner from the mighty ALTY
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Penalty