PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Forest Green
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forest Green  (Read 3851 times)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Forest Green
« on: October 27, 2010, 01:24:32 PM »

from BBC website
Forest Green's Lee Fowler admits to alcohol problem .
so please dont take the Pi** out of him when we play em.
Harold

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
Re: Forest Green
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:52:48 PM »

Talking of them,noticed they have gone back to full time (until this local backer pulls out again!!!)
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

bighairedmike

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:03:39 AM »

from BBC website

Didnt Hardiker (John?) also have an alcohol problem while he was at forest green? He got sent off against us at our gaff if i remember correctly. Must be summat in the *ahem* water...

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »

I know that I'm probably going to get heaps for this post but hey ho!
Alcoholism is an illness just in the same way as Cancer, Asthma and Chickenpox are and it is not a cause for hilarity
It takes some guts to admit that you have the affliction and even more to publicise it.
I hope that the more responsible supporters, wherever FGR might be playing respect these facts

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »

I know that I'm probably going to get heaps for this post but hey ho!
Alcoholism is an illness just in the same way as Cancer, Asthma and Chickenpox are and it is not a cause for hilarity
It takes some guts to admit that you have the affliction and even more to publicise it.
I hope that the more responsible supporters, wherever FGR might be playing respect these facts

Too bloody right you are. To equate alcoholism with cancer is ludicrous in the extreme. Cancer is often contracted through no action of the individual in question, unlike alcoholism. Cancer is often a killer and there is nothing the unfortunate sufferer can do to to rectify the situation, no change in lifestyle. Do you not think that if many cancer sufferers were told that all they had to do (however difficult) was to change an aspect of their lifestyle and they would be saved that they would leap at the opportunity? Cancer is beyond the control of the individual, alcoholism is not. Whatever the reasons for descending into addiction (and they may be many), it is still a choice to have that drink, snort that line, shoot that H. Addiction is selfish and inflicts pain on more than the sufferer.

Whilst I can have a certain amount of sympathy with some of those who have succumbed to addiction, equating it with cancer is simply ridiculous.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:13:08 AM by Uncle Globnasty »
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:45:30 AM »

I know that I'm probably going to get heaps for this post

Which is exactly the reason you posted it in the first place.
Come on Alty!

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 12:26:07 PM »

Just like Tevez is a striker in the same way as McCarthy, Johnson and Tunniclife
Bernard Taylors barmy army

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 12:40:51 PM »

Wrong Wrong Wrong on all fronts chaps

An addiction is an illness - it is not a choice - if it were a choice people would not succumb.

I have lost a number of family members to Cancer and two friends to the physical ramifications of Alcohol addiction. Maybe I'm being too PC and prissy about this but I feel strongly about it.

Rosie - I honestly thought that we were past the personal attacks, sniping and point scoring. Seemingly not which is very sad indeed!

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 12:44:23 PM »

Rosie - I honestly thought that we were past the personal attacks, sniping and point scoring. Seemingly not which is very sad indeed!

I'm not attacking you, "sniping" or "point scoring". You're a perfectly nice person and I've got no particular axe to grind with you.

However, you do seem to revel in making contraversial statements and drawing attention to yourself. This is an observation, not a personal attack.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:04:51 PM by ALTY 1981 »
Come on Alty!

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 12:47:17 PM »

An addiction is an illness - it is not a choice - if it were a choice people would not succumb.

Wrong.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 12:56:47 PM »

Research Indicates that Addiction is a mental illness

Most (over 99%)  addicts are born with addictive personalities and them becoming addicted to something or other is inevitable. The only 'moveable' in this is what they become addicted to.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »

from BBC website

Didnt Hardiker (John?) also have an alcohol problem while he was at forest green? He got sent off against us at our gaff if i remember correctly. Must be summat in the *ahem* water...
[/b]

Aye, the whisky!

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 01:03:50 PM »

Research Indicates that Addiction is a mental illness

Most (over 99%)  addicts are born with addictive personalities and them becoming addicted to something or other is inevitable. The only 'moveable' in this is what they become addicted to.
agreed but you miss my point, there are illnesses and there are illnesses, comparing alcohol addiction to cancer or chickenpox is daft, yes they are all illnesses as were the four strikers all strikers that I mentioned.  Alcohol addiction is an illness once it has started and even has a genetic basis for prepensity to be addicted however at some point there is choice involved, this is not the case with chickenpox (excepting the chickenpox parties that parents used to hold) or most cancers.  If you had said that alcohol addiction was like continuing to smoke and contracting lung cancer then fair enough.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »

I have lost a number of family members to Cancer and two friends to the physical ramifications of Alcohol addiction. Maybe I'm being too PC and prissy about this but I feel strongly about it.

Absolute and utter horsetrash. I have also lost relatives to both, it isn't a trump card.

You still choose to take that first drink, that first hit. You still choose to ignore the warnings, the advice. Addiction does not occur instantly, you are not born with it (although you could argue a genetic predisposition; studies are still ongoing). Addiction only occurs when the brain becomes used to the presence of the intoxicant in the system and can no longer function 'normally' without it (hence the withdrawal).

To overcome an addiction takes huge reserves of willpower, strength and determination (varying dependent upon the level of addiction), but it is far from impossible. Some fail, but that does not mean that it is not possible. No amount of willpower in the world is going to cure you of cancer.

I was not stating that it is not an illness, but comparing it with cancer is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:13:57 PM by Uncle Globnasty »
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Narcissist

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »

Sorry, but you could have simply said that alcoholism is an illness. Why make the cancer remark?

Its not comparable. i'll tell you from experience that you lose people to cancer, but for alcoholism or any mind altering addiction they lose you, if they have you to lose. Rosie was bang on the money, its not a personal axe to grind you just continue to come on here making ludicrous comments.

Its simply not comparable. When you start a post with 'I think im going to get slaughtered for this' or similar, its because you have already made a reasonable assessment of your own statement that its wreckless, argumentative and possibly upsetting. Forget everything ive said about you in the past and concentrate on this latest disagreement, cancer and alcoholism are not comparable. Both illnesses and that is where the comparables start and end.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Forest Green