PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Defending corners
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Defending corners  (Read 4657 times)

taxi Phil

Defending corners
« on: November 26, 2012, 06:16:45 AM »

Why have we suddenly gone back to GH's old tactic of pulling EVERYBODY back at corners ?

Again on Saturday, even Reevesy was in the box, and clearances went straight back to Halifax possession. Downright stupidity, and absolute basics !

joe

Re: Defending corners
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »

When GH was questioned about this his reply was 'If its good enough for Man Utd,its good enough for Alty'.

bighairedmike

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 12:21:58 PM »

When Lee and Tolson held an open forum after one of the games last year (possibly Boston at home) this was discussed and the official reasoning seemed to be that the more bodies that were in the box made it more difficult for attacking players to move into better positions and get a run onto the ball. This was something that was discussed at length that evening.

whopper

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »

its a strange one for me its almost like we set up as a desperate team.

if you keep two players up stretching there full backs usually at least one cb goes up it leaves the opposition with a serious problem when the ball comes out, ideal for a useful counter attacking side like ourselves.

Attack can be the best form of defense and in our case i think it should be.

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »

if you keep two players up stretching there full backs usually at least one cb goes up it leaves the opposition with a serious problem when the ball comes out, ideal for a useful counter attacking side like ourselves.

I would tend to agree

I remember watching Germany play at Old Trafford in Euro 96.

Everytime the opposition won a corner two German wide players would go and stand just inside their own half on the half way line on opposite sides of the pitch.

The oppoistion were then forced to keep at least 3 defenders on the halfway line. Two (fullbacks) had to stay wide on each side with one covering the centre.

This regularly opened up acres of space and when the ball was played out invariably resulted in both full backs running back towards their own goal.   

Imagine Clee and Whatmore converging from both wings onto a long ball from either Coburn or defence...    Simples !!

Play offs here we come 

whopper

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »

I would tend to agree

I remember watching Germany play at Old Trafford in Euro 96.

Everytime the opposition won a corner two German wide players would go and stand just inside their own half on the half way line on opposite sides of the pitch.

The oppoistion were then forced to keep at least 3 defenders on the halfway line. Two (fullbacks) had to stay wide on each side with one covering the centre.

This regularly opened up acres of space and when the ball was played out invariably resulted in both full backs running back towards their own goal.    

Imagine Clee and Whatmore converging from both wings onto a long ball from either Coburn or defence...    Simples !!

Play offs here we come  
exactly, GH did not do this because we were a defensive part time  side regularly playing for a point against full time outfits,

Now we have the players to cause the problems but we just aren't using them correctly, ie watmore not starting and not countering from corners, epic fail sinott  >:(

RocketDan

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »

With regards to their second goal which did come from a corner, I thought we were rather unlucky.

Jake Moult was on the post and blocks the shot on the line. Unfortunately, the ball hits him on the chest the and ricochets 6 yards to Gareth Seddon who pounced. There really wasn't much we could do about it. It could have dropped anywhere but it didn't it dropped to their best striker - very unlucky on our part.

Jimmy

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:09:36 PM »

I'd have atleast one staying forward it also means less attacking you

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »

When Lee and Tolson held an open forum after one of the games last year (possibly Boston at home) this was discussed and the official reasoning seemed to be that the more bodies that were in the box made it more difficult for attacking players to move into better positions and get a run onto the ball. This was something that was discussed at length that evening.

Was it really necessary to bring all of our ten outfield players back into our penalty area to defend corners alongside Stuart Coburn when we played Hinckley United at Moss Lane recently though...?

I despair.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

MrB

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »

We don't need everyone back in box, why not leave a couple of lads ready for the counter attack. Seems daft not to, maybe we could pitch the extra goal in a game that we've needed recently. I'm with Taxi Phil...silly tactics that isn't needed.

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »

even against the full time teams, keeping 10 outfield players back means their 10 outfield players can attack....and the ball just keeps coming back......if we had 2 up the opposition would probably hold 3 back meaning we had a one man advantage defensively witha  chance to hold the ball up on the clearance, retain possesion and score on the counter......

in fact I may even set up an e-petition on facebook or something....

george

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 11:27:57 AM »

The Youth team have played this way since 1997-98 when I became Manager, Simple arithmetic, leave 2 up front, occuping 3 defenders & G.K. We have 9 defending V. 8 ATTACKING, 1 of whom is taking the corner. Clear the ball & the 2 up front, hold & mid-field come & support.

Hamilton

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »

The Youth team have played this way since 1997-98 when I became Manager, Simple arithmetic, leave 2 up front, occuping 3 defenders & G.K. We have 9 defending V. 8 ATTACKING, 1 of whom is taking the corner. Clear the ball & the 2 up front, hold & mid-field come & support.

Go tell 'em George!

VofD

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 12:04:47 PM »

Tell that to Sinnott  ??? ???

JDN

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 12:08:58 PM »

Sinnout......George in?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Defending corners