- 14 (46.7%)
Top Half
- 13 (43.3%)
Bottom Half
- 1 (3.3%)
Relegation Candidates
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Grimsby Town 2010-11  (Read 1584 times)

taxi Phil

Grimsby Town 2010-11
« on: July 26, 2010, 11:06:36 PM »

So just how big a club ARE the Mariners ? They've certainly got a long, if somewhat chequered, history. From being founder members of the old Second Division in 1892 along with Northwich Victoria, and some outfit called Ardwick who moved on to greater things under another name  (no, not "Elite Squad"), they celebrated the coming of the 20th. century with the championship and spent two seasons in the top flight.

However, an uninspiring spell followed and they failed to gain re-election at the end of the 1910-11 season (although Birmingham City actually finished bottom)  and lost their place to Huddersfield Town. The following season they were re-elected. Gainsborough Trinity, Glossop, and Bradford Park avenue were in the Division at the time - as were Chelsea.

In the first season after World War I they finished bottom, and found themselves in the new Third Division - which was a Southern league ! Their nearest "neighbours" were Northampton Town. There followed five seasons in the new Third North, and they won that division in 1925-6, and within three years had earned a second stint in the top flight.

Relegated after three seasons, they came back up for the third (and last) time as champions in 1933-4, achieving their best ever finish of 5th. the following season. This time they lasted 7 seasons either side of World War II, but finished a long way bottom in 1947-8, winning only 8 matches, and shipping 111 goals.

Since then, they've had a number of spells in the second tier, most recently between 1998 and 2003. Their slide since then has been rapid. Reaching the League 2 play-offs in 2005-6 damaged them financially, and they nearly came down last term. The inevitable was merely delayed alas.

How they fare in BSP will to some extent depend on attitude. They may take a little while to adjust, but I think they may have enough in the locker to sneak into the playoffs.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Grimsby Town 2010-11
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 11:25:20 PM »

I reckon they may give Luton a run for there money and could possibly sneak top spot if Luton hit a blip I still have a slight fancy for Luton to do it this time round but it should be interesting.

Jenga

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:27:50 PM »

I voted for relegation purely to annoy my work colleague who is a Mariners fan.

Probably mid table I think for them this year. They have cleared out the trash apparently and brought in some new blood, but will they knit together is the question.

jimmyhank

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 02:22:05 PM »

2nd.

jaka

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 04:25:37 PM »

8th

Heffer

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 12:43:52 AM »

Unknowns? should be around play offs, but you must be pissed if u think they could win it!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Grimsby Town 2010-11