News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty v Woking Trivia Questions

Author Topic: Alty v Woking Trivia Questions  (Read 2395 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: February 20, 2009, 06:05:10 PM »

Just to get you in the mood for Saturday's big match at Moss Lane....

(1) The first fixture between Woking and Altrincham was back in October 1992.
Who were the Robins' goalscorers in that 2-0 victory?

(2) Woking's debut at Moss Lane was in March 1993.
Who scored the only goal of the game?
(Incidentally, the great Tunna did play in this match but was not the goalscoring hero on this particular occasion....)

(3) 8th January 1994: Altrincham...0  Woking...2.   

Fill in the THREE gaps in the Alty team that day:

1. Collings
2. Cross
3. ?
4. France
5. R Green
6. Reid
7. ?
8. Harris
9. ?
10. Carmody
11. Terry.

(4) Who scored his first ever goal for the Robins in the 1-1 draw at Woking on 12th March 1994?

(5) Who was the Alty goalkeeper when the Robins beat Woking 2-0 at Moss Lane on 9th March 1996?

(6) Who scored Alty's goal in the 7-1 debacle at Woking on 30th November 1996?   

(7) Who scored Alty's goal in the 1-0 triumph at Woking on 19th February 2000?

The prize for anyone who answers all these questions correctly is either a signed copy of Ecky's forthcoming diet book or an autographed photograph (sepia) of George Heslop as a boyhood Altrincham supporter....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Alty v Woking Trivia Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 06:41:32 PM »

Total guess at Showler and McKenna

(Incidentally, the great Tunna did play in this match but was not the goalscoring hero on this particular occasion....)

Ricky Harris (again a guess)

Fill in the THREE gaps in the Alty team that day:

1. Collings
2. Cross
3. ? (Heesom)
4. France
5. R Green
6. Reid
7. ? (Sharratt, but wasnt he 11 at Terry 7 ?)
8. Harris
9. ? (Andy Green)
10. Carmody
11. Terry.

(4) Who scored his first ever goal for the Robins in the 1-1 draw at Woking on 12th March 1994?

Ermmmm Sharratt ?

(5) Who was the Alty goalkeeper when the Robins beat Woking 2-0 at Moss Lane on 9th March 1996?

The Ex Blackburn keeper... Dickins or the small coloured lad who was about 3 ft tall...

Neil Hardy ?

Landon..

All gueses  :)

The prize for anyone who answers all these questions correctly is either a signed copy of Ecky's forthcoming diet book or an autographed photograph (sepia) of George Heslop as a boyhood Altrincham supporter....

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »

Without looking at other answers or consulting any sort of preogrammes/reference materis

I know this one, Ricky Harris and Russell Green, perhaps in that order[/b]

Now, I thought I'd read that we'd never beaten Woking at Moss Lane (in which case I'd have said Scott Steele) but maybe that's only since we've been back in the conference so ooh 1993, seem to remember a couple of 1-0 wins, I'm going to go for a scouse lad called John Smith with an indirect free kick at the Golf Road end.

Fill in the THREE gaps in the Alty team that day: Now this was during Paul Rowlands tenure wasn't it so...

1. Collings
2. Cross
3. One of the Strange brothers or Mark Wright?
4. France
5. R Green
6. Reid
7. Dave Esdaille?
8. Harris
9. Gary Powell?
10. Carmody
11. Terry.

Again, think Rowlands had gone and been replaced by John KIng, won at Bath with a goal from Ricky Harris which marked the debut of Andy Green so I'll go for him

Most memories of this season have faded in the nightmare of the 1996-97 season. Now Paul Collings started the season but I couldn't be sure he finished it, hmm, Jerome John?

A Neill Hardy equaliser "We're back in this!"

Jason Gallagher

You love it when we play old conference foes don't you.

Edited twice by the way as I was trying to get my answers to stand out and can't work out Cult's colour coding scheme.  :D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:42:04 PM by Ballers »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 12:48:51 AM »

Without looking at other answers or consulting any sort of preogrammes/reference materis

I know this one, Ricky Harris and Russell Green, perhaps in that order[/b]

Now, I thought I'd read that we'd never beaten Woking at Moss Lane (in which case I'd have said Scott Steele) but maybe that's only since we've been back in the conference so ooh 1993, seem to remember a couple of 1-0 wins, I'm going to go for a scouse lad called John Smith with an indirect free kick at the Golf Road end.

Fill in the THREE gaps in the Alty team that day: Now this was during Paul Rowlands tenure wasn't it so...

1. Collings
2. Cross
3. One of the Strange brothers or Mark Wright?
4. France
5. R Green
6. Reid
7. Dave Esdaille?
8. Harris
9. Gary Powell?
10. Carmody
11. Terry.

Again, think Rowlands had gone and been replaced by John KIng, won at Bath with a goal from Ricky Harris which marked the debut of Andy Green so I'll go for him

Most memories of this season have faded in the nightmare of the 1996-97 season. Now Paul Collings started the season but I couldn't be sure he finished it, hmm, Jerome John?

A Neill Hardy equaliser "We're back in this!"

Jason Gallagher

You love it when we play old conference foes don't you.

Edited twice by the way as I was trying to get my answers to stand out and can't work out Cult's colour coding scheme.  :D

Ballers,

A truly noble effort.

(1) Correct.
Ricky Harris & Russell Green (not sure in which order though).
Russell Green hit a rare and brief rich vein of form at this juncture and scored in our next two fixtures, both of which were played at The Drill Field (but against different opposition - go on, explain that one!).

(2) Correct.
John Smith.
A full back who actually made Steve Aspinall look tall.....
Incidentally, we also beat Woking 2-0 at Moss Lane in March 1996.

(3) One out of three.
Dave Esdaille is correct.
The left full back was a Gerry Quinn signing.
The No. 9 is wonderfully obscure: 5 (+1 as sub) appearances and just the one goal to his name.
Any ideas now?

(4) Correct.
Andy Green.

(5) Correct again.
Jerome John.

(6) Yes, Niell Hardy was that man.
The headline above the match report in the Messenger simply read: Woe-King.
I never liked Clive Walker....

(7) Indeed, it was that perpetually sun-tanned favourite of Dennis Birch.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:50:45 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

joe

Alty v Woking trivia
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:59:09 AM »

Is the missing number 3 Mick Hayde? I also remember a striker from the Gerry Quinn days called Brian something that only played a handful of games so perhaps him at number 9.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 11:16:45 AM »

This is a bit shocking to say, but when I look back at some of the players we had in those days, it's no surprise we struggled now and again!
I can't believe how good I thought they were at the time ... it just goes to show how biased I am in favour of the Supers I suppose!  ::)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Alty v Woking trivia
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:02:37 PM »

Is the missing number 3 Mick Hayde? I also remember a striker from the Gerry Quinn days called Brian something that only played a handful of games so perhaps him at number 9.

Joe, good call about Mick Hayde mate, think I'm with you on that one. I liked Haydey he was a great lad, started off very moderately but did have a patch where he played really well for us at left back. Put his heart and soul  into it did Mickey Hayde.

I'm well pleased with that John Smith one.  :)

Russell Green scored in a 2-1 win over Vics and then when we drew 3-3 with Colwyn Bay at the Drill Field (was it a late equaliser?) in the FA Cup 3rd qualifying round. I spent most of that game heckling a young poser of a centre half with long girly hair who was an absolute collosus for Colwyn Bay - any guesses as to which future (recent) Alty player it was?

Hmm, the number 9 (God, this is difficult to resist rummaging about int he cellar through some old programmes). Was it someone we mentioned on here a while back, a midfielder called Robert WIlson who came and went around about that time?

It's good this, we haven't had a Gerry Quinn/Paul Rowlands era thread for ages.  :)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 12:34:43 PM »

joe,

Spot on.
Mick Hayde was indeed that man.
Didn't he eventually move to the Midlands in order to become a prison officer?
Rather ironic really, as I recall that he certainly took no prisoners when it came to his approach to tackling....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:38:37 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 12:45:21 PM »

Joe, good call about Mick Hayde mate, think I'm with you on that one. I liked Haydey he was a great lad, started off very moderately but did have a patch where he played really well for us at left back. Put his heart and soul  into it did Mickey Hayde.

I'm well pleased with that John Smith one.  :)

Russell Green scored in a 2-1 win over Vics and then when we drew 3-3 with Colwyn Bay at the Drill Field (was it a late equaliser?) in the FA Cup 3rd qualifying round. I spent most of that game heckling a young poser of a centre half with long girly hair who was an absolute collosus for Colwyn Bay - any guesses as to which future (recent) Alty player it was?

Hmm, the number 9 (God, this is difficult to resist rummaging about int he cellar through some old programmes). Was it someone we mentioned on here a while back, a midfielder called Robert WIlson who came and went around about that time?

It's good this, we haven't had a Gerry Quinn/Paul Rowlands era thread for ages.  :)

Ballers,

That centre half for Colwyn Bay back in 1992 was none other than our old friend, Darren Tinson.

As for the missing No. 9, all I will say is that he was signed from St Helens Town by Paul Rowlands.
Oh, and his surname begins with the letter 'P'....

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 01:04:07 PM »

Marvellous.

Steve Pennington, the man who single handedly imbued a generation of Alty fans with the sceptism that a 40 goal a season North West Counties League striker couldn't cut it in the conference!

joe

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 01:05:03 PM »

Good old Steve Pennington!  Thought he played more games than that which is why i didn't mention him earlier.

joe

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 01:16:15 PM »

joe,

Spot on.
Mick Hayde was indeed that man.
Didn't he eventually move to the Midlands in order to become a prison officer?
Rather ironic really, as I recall that he certainly took no prisoners when it came to his approach to tackling....

Think you're right about the prison officer thing. He went on to play for Moor Green and possibly had a spell at Worcester too.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team