PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Turning point??
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Turning point??  (Read 9300 times)

GB Alty

Re: Turning point??
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2014, 10:44:39 AM »

Lee needs to be very careful.....had I travelled all that way yesterday (unfortunately work prevented me) I'd have been pi$$ed off at seeing the line up as I was when I got home from work logged on and saw the team and that we were 1-0 down.
I'm still fuming at the Trafford debacle which cost the club a cup run and money through a terrible team selection......easy to gesture and look clever when you're winning but you look a fool when (as at Trafford) the team loses meekly......
yes we are now comfortably in the play off positions with games in hand.....but there are many like me who look to poor performances and bad results that will at the end of the season have cost us a title this squad was perfectly capable of winning.....
Excellent post

markecky

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »

Lee needs to be very careful.....had I travelled all that way yesterday (unfortunately work prevented me) I'd have been pi$$ed off at seeing the line up as I was when I got home from work logged on and saw the team and that we were 1-0 down.
I'm still fuming at the Trafford debacle which cost the club a cup run and money through a terrible team selection......easy to gesture and look clever when you're winning but you look a fool when (as at Trafford) the team loses meekly......
yes we are now comfortably in the play off positions with games in hand.....but there are many like me who look to poor performances and bad results that will at the end of the season have cost us a title this squad was perfectly capable of winning.....

In case Chinese whispers take over it needs to be clarified that the managed reacted to shouts from people  ( and I was one of them I don't mind admitting ) that Reeves should have started after the equaliser, there was nothing after the second. You could see from his actions that he was frustrated by the teams actions at times and people on the terraces were frustrated as well.

There was no critiscm of individual players, the only shouts on that score were when twice no one was stood behind Perry when he was obviously going to flick Clee's long throws on.

I stand by my thoughts that he should not have changed a winning team and should start Reeves and Walshaw from now until the end of the season when fit.

However the result was a good one and we will need more like them to achieve anything from the season.  There was no lack of effort from the players and they deserve the credit for getting the win.

brian1925

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2014, 12:42:36 PM »

I'm sorry to labour the point, but it sounds like what some people are saying is it doesn't matter how poorly a player is playing, or how shot his confidence is, he should play becasue he has scored a shed load of goals for us in the past few seasons. Like others I really want Reevsey to do well and I was willing for the ball to go in for him against Workington last week, but I am pleased we have got a manager who selects his 11 based on form and confidence rather than sentiment. For the Harrogate game, I want Lee to take into account the opposition we are up against and select his starting line up accordingly.
Until my daughter was born last year, I too attended the majority of away games and I was as shocked as everybody else by the no show at Trafford in the Cup and was very critical of the manager in the aftermath, but we have won four on the trot, so maybe we should start to trust this guy.

markecky

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »

I'm sorry to labour the point, but it sounds like what some people are saying is it doesn't matter how poorly a player is playing, or how shot his confidence is, he should play becasue he has scored a shed load of goals for us in the past few seasons. Like others I really want Reevsey to do well and I was willing for the ball to go in for him against Workington last week, but I am pleased we have got a manager who selects his 11 based on form and confidence rather than sentiment. For the Harrogate game, I want Lee to take into account the opposition we are up against and select his starting line up accordingly.
Until my daughter was born last year, I too attended the majority of away games and I was as shocked as everybody else by the no show at Trafford in the Cup and was very critical of the manager in the aftermath, but we have won four on the trot, so maybe we should start to trust this guy.

That's your opinion mate and you're entitled to it.  To be honest I used to share it.  I do listen to others though and a few have pointed out that whilst Reeves goal haven't been as plentiful his work has probably created space for Walshaw to execute his exquisite finishes.

If Perry was the same standard as the other two then I would agree with you but he isn't.  I stress again that I'm no Perry hater, I think he has a useful part to play.

I just feel we are blessed with two of the leagues top two strikers that most managers would kill for. Other teams should dread playing us just for those two.  It can only be a plus when they see one on the bench.

A manager should always ( and I think will always ) play the team that he feels is right rather than what people think on a fans forum.  He will eventually sink or swim by those decisions.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2014, 03:50:36 PM »

Frankly, I can't see what all the fuss about. We've merely beaten a village team who operate on one of the lowest budgets in the league, lower perhaps than North Ferriby.

taxi Phil

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2014, 03:59:09 PM »

Frankly, I can't see what all the fuss about. We've merely beaten a village team who operate on one of the lowest budgets in the league, lower perhaps than North Ferriby.

If you believe the budget figure quoted by Brackley, you're surprisingly gullible. Stefan Moore hasn't gone there for three and six a week and a free Subscription to Beano.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »

"Surprisingly gullible"  :)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2014, 04:48:12 PM »

Whoooos
Full time and proud of it

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2014, 06:42:56 PM »

It's your fault for 'engaging in subtlety'.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2014, 06:54:11 PM »

Surely Lee can put an end to all this by stating in his programme notes why he starts perry instead of reeves
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Jenga

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »

A match is played over 90 minutes plus injury time.

We won and that is now 3 on the bounce.

Whether you think LS got the team selection right or not it worked.

I wasnt there so cant comment, but maybe just maybe the work of Kyle on the defenders tired them out to allow Reeves to score. Just maybe the plan worked? Had Reeves been on from the start maybe he would have ineffective against some strong defenders and maybe if Kyle came on he might not have had been able to get in to the positions Damien can.

I have critised LS before but perhaps we should applaud the team and maybe a management masterstroke of team selection.

I await the forum police and the critiscm. But as i say i am playing devils advocate here as i was not at the game.

taxi Phil

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2014, 08:13:12 PM »

Sorry....had my irony bypass switched on  ;)

Jimmy

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »

Surely Lee can put an end to all this by stating in his programme notes why he starts perry instead of reeves
probably not needed as we know he plays perry because he thinks he holds the ball up and he rates him

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2014, 08:55:43 PM »

I do think it would be a good idea if Lee gave fans the opportunity to ask questions and air their views constructively. Last time he was due to attend a Q & A session he never showed up and there hasn't been another one since. In my experience, these things can be a two way street, because it also enables the manager to clarify certain things to supporters which might otherwise be completely misunderstood. I can remember times in the past when I spoke to Bernard Taylor or Graham Heathcote about things after games and they can give you a whole different perspective on situations.
Come on Alty!

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2014, 09:08:27 PM »

A different perspective: we went 1-0 down at Hednestord after 87 mins.  We were 1-0 down against Bravkey after 83 mins.  We took 4 points from those games.  We played poorly against Colwyn Bay, Workington and Telford and took 7 points from these games.

The team is developing a steel backbone which was certainly not there a couple of seasons ago.  That has to be down in part to the manager and in part to greater cohesion and unity in the squad.  And at exactly the right time too.

This makes them worthy of our support.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Turning point??