PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 stop the overnight travel...
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: stop the overnight travel...  (Read 3628 times)

dino

« on: March 07, 2009, 07:46:16 PM »

it makes very little difference to the overall performance of the team, and most certainly cannot be justified. The £1k saving /fortnight would be better in the playing budget.

baldrick

Re: stop the overnight travel...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 08:16:07 PM »

That sounds too obvious. I'm sure Graham considered it and decided against it for a good reason.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 08:35:14 PM »

I would guess that things like overnight stays are part of what helps us to tempt a higher calibre of player to go part time and join our club. I'm not saying we always reap the benefits on the pitch by any means, but I reckon this is the thinking behind it.
Come on Alty!

DAB @ ALTY

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:10:16 AM »

We are a part time club who needs all the money we can get our hands on,
in the last few days we have seen our vice chairman making pleas on this
forum to fans to support all the fund raising events organised by the club.
It is alot of those fans who cough up alot of money to support the team
on their travels,on which many the club seem fit to afford overnight hotel
bills.These overnighters don't show to be benifiting our results over recent
away trips,so why don't the club save themselves alot of money by stopping
lording the players in the hope that their response just might improve their
away performances.I would go along with these overnighters if the signs
were that our results were benefiting from them but from where I am
standing they don't seem to be & let's not forget it's not hotel bill's just for
the players to be met.

DAB @ ALTY

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:12:57 AM »

As an after thought,if these hotel expenses are being met by other
means,then all well & good but if not, then is it not surprising that
some fans may well feel aggrieved that these expensess are being
met using monies from their fund raising efforts.All that most fans
are bothered about are getting positive results & at the moment
they may see this as money being wasted which could be used in
other ways to the bebefit of the club.Yes ALTY have always said
they try to run the club on a professiona basis but I feel that in
some cases,players take advantages of that situation.
l

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:49:11 AM »

Right, let's put this one to bed straight away. Overnight stays are a necessary evil when it comes to preparing professionally for football matches, they aren't a jolly. They don't guarantee results but give you the best possible chance of one which is what we strive for. Knowing how I felt after a journey to Grays I wouldn't have expected the players to play after that.

It should also be pointed out that the club are aware of the cost, we don't have overnight stays to Kidderminster, Burton etc and I'm pretty sure the players would prefer to be at home with their families on Friday nights.

Yesterday was probably the last one bar Lewes we'll need this season unless we do one at Cambridge on the last day, which we may not do.

Incidentally the overnights stays this season have been

Woking WON 2-1
Eastbourne LOST 0-1
Stevenage LOST 0-3
Weymouth LOST 0-2
Luton DREW 0-0
Forest Green ??? WON 3-1
Crawley LOST 0-4
Torquay LOST 1-3
Grays LOST 1-2

Again, a little hit and miss but surely you're not seriously suggesting a coach journey down at 6 in the morning to Eastbourne, Weymouth, Crawley or Torquay?

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 11:40:58 AM »

Totally agree, and also to be considered is the travelling some players have to do from home before they join the team coach. Getting up at 4am isn't the best preperation.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 12:10:45 PM »

Ridiculous to me that anyone would even suggest stopping overnight stays before the long haul southern away games. We might not be a professional team but we play in a professional league and overnight stays are a vital part of our preparation.

dino

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 12:54:57 PM »

if these overnight stops are so important, why on earth are the results so poor. the vast majority of away games in london and on the south coast over the last 4 seasons have been poor. indeed, when we play night games in london we tend to win, even torquay last year. in conclusion, it makes no diff to performances, costs a lot of money, and other than GG generosity in giving a free coach, would cost in the region of £1700 match

joe

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 01:17:53 PM »

Right, let's put this one to bed straight away. Overnight stays are a necessary evil when it comes to preparing professionally for football matches, they aren't a jolly. They don't guarantee results but give you the best possible chance of one which is what we strive for. Knowing how I felt after a journey to Grays I wouldn't have expected the players to play after that.

It should also be pointed out that the club are aware of the cost, we don't have overnight stays to Kidderminster, Burton etc and I'm pretty sure the players would prefer to be at home with their families on Friday nights.

Yesterday was probably the last one bar Lewes we'll need this season unless we do one at Cambridge on the last day, which we may not do.

Incidentally the overnights stays this season have been

Woking WON 2-1
Eastbourne LOST 0-1
Stevenage LOST 0-3
Weymouth LOST 0-2
Luton DREW 0-0
Forest Green ??? WON 3-1
Crawley LOST 0-4
Torquay LOST 1-3
Grays LOST 1-2

Again, a little hit and miss but surely you're not seriously suggesting a coach journey down at 6 in the morning to Eastbourne, Weymouth, Crawley or Torquay?

Fair enough staying overnight at Eastbourne,Weymouth,Lewes,Torquay and maybe Crawley but the rest of them are no more than a 4 hour drive and Forest Green is only a 2 and a half hour drive and ridiculous to stay over!

baldrick

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 01:49:41 PM »

if these overnight stops are so important, why on earth are the results so poor. the vast majority of away games in london and on the south coast over the last 4 seasons have been poor. indeed, when we play night games in london we tend to win, even torquay last year. in conclusion, it makes no diff to performances, costs a lot of money, and other than GG generosity in giving a free coach, would cost in the region of £1700 match
I didn't realise there were any London teams in this league

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 01:54:17 PM »

I didn't realise there were any London teams in this league

Perhaps this is meant in the same sense as we are a Manchester-based North-West/Lancashire part-time pub team outfit?  8) ::)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

dino

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 02:22:59 PM »

i make specific reference to the superb 4-3 win at dagenham 2 seasons ago, when we were up and down the motorway inthe day. i believe dagenham is in east london, with a london postcode

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »

Dagenham's ground is in RM10.

Yours rather pedantically. ;)
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 06:28:38 PM »

Two points:
1) We could very well be poorer if we do not stay overnight
2) One reason our results are so poor are not better is that, to be totally blunt, we are not the nest team in the league.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team