PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Leek Town away in FA Cup
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Leek Town away in FA Cup  (Read 19594 times)

York Alty

Re: Leek Town away in FA Cup
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 08:22:30 AM »

I said it for Shildon and I'll say it for Leek, I'd definitely take a draw.

Wouldn't be surprised if this went to a replay.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »

We didn't underestimate shildon so hopefully the same respect will be given to leek

fuertes

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 08:45:20 AM »

We didn't underestimate shildon so hopefully the same respect will be given to leek

Exactly.

We didn't take Witton seriously and got bitten on the arse. The result at Shildon suggests we've learned our lesson. The same levels of effort and application should give us a great chance to win the game.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 09:57:04 AM »

Leek are at the same level as witton were when they knocked us out, so there can be no room for error.They have a number of our ex players which adds something to a game, so lets make sure we put in a proper professional performance, infront of what should be a large away following

Leeeeek Town

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 09:58:23 AM »

Re: the crowd, the club are certainly pushing this one, and there will be a good deal of local interest.

As I've already pointed out, Leek traditionally share their support with the Potteries clubs, which will work out in our favour on the 6th.

The club have set a target of a four-figure attendance, and I don't think they will be far short. However, as is the case with all split-money games, what the eye sees is not necessarily what goes down on paper. Last season for the cup replay against Hinckley, the crowd was given as 488. This was, shall we say, a very conservative estimate.

Having said that, Hinckley gave the crowd as 436 for the first game the week before, and that was even sillier!

whopper

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »

Exactly.

We didn't take Witton seriously and got bitten on the arse. The result at Shildon suggests we've learned our lesson. The same levels of effort and application should give us a great chance to win the game.
do you play for the team? did you know that fans can't infuence the actual football match  ;D

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2012, 11:12:03 AM »

Re: the crowd, the club are certainly pushing this one, and there will be a good deal of local interest.

As I've already pointed out, Leek traditionally share their support with the Potteries clubs, which will work out in our favour on the 6th.

The club have set a target of a four-figure attendance, and I don't think they will be far short. However, as is the case with all split-money games, what the eye sees is not necessarily what goes down on paper. Last season for the cup replay against Hinckley, the crowd was given as 488. This was, shall we say, a very conservative estimate.

Having said that, Hinckley gave the crowd as 436 for the first game the week before, and that was even sillier!

I think we're probably the only club in the country to not do this!

I can't remember any games we've played recently when I thought the attendance looked iffy.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

markecky

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »

Is it just on the gate split with us that you'll be falsifying the figures?

Or do you also do it on the VAT returns?

Just out of interest like...

Leeeeek Town

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2012, 12:25:33 PM »

LEEK - AN UNOFFICIAL VISITORS GUIDE

In your separate thread on travel, I noted that not many people plan on taking full advantage of the facilities available in Leek itself. Buses and cars from the Macclesfield direction will arrive at Harrison Park before going anywhere near the town itself - and it would be a shame if visitors with time on their hands were to restrict themselves to the pub adjacent to the ground.

The Town

Situated on the edge of the Peak District, within the backdrop of the spectacular Staffordshire Moorlands, Leek is off the beaten track, but remains a vibrant market town.

If your alternative is spending time before the game in either Hanley or Macclesfield, I would encourage you to arrive early in Leek and have a look at what the town can offer.

Drink

One thing Leek does have is plenty of pubs, despite the raping of the industry by the major pub companies.

On the market place itself, The Engine Room is a large, soulless Baracuda-chain pub – a bit like a poor man’s Wetherspoons. What it does do though, it does well. If you’re after a cheap pint, Sky Sports and a burger and chips, head here. Almost next door to the Engine Room is the Hyde’s pub The Red Lion. Again, this is very similar to the Engine Room and caters for the tracksuit-wearing lager & chips brigade.

Far better alternatives exist on Derby Street - Leek’s main shopping thoroughfare. The Cock Inn is a Joule’s Brewery house serving real ales and simple, home-cooked food. The Roebuck Hotel is a Titanic Brewery pub, recently refurbished and fully stocked with Titanic’s signature cask bitters. Note that the Roebuck does not really cater for lager drinkers, who are expected to pay a premium price (£3.70) for Amstel, while the bitter drinkers enjoy far more choice and much lower prices.

If you can battle past the building site at the top end of Derby Street, behind the war memorial is the Cattle Market. Now a Marsden’s pub, head here if you want a game of pool or darts, and the cheapest beer. Note that they don’t serve food in the Cattle Market, although just next door is the highly recommended Monrose sandwich shop, serving everything from cheese-filled North Staffordshire oatcakes to bacon sandwiches.

At the other end of Derby Street (opposite side to the war memorial), you’ll find The Valiant, Belgian Bar ‘Den Engel’, The Black Swan and The Bird In Hand.

All of the pubs listed above are a 15 minute walk from the ground, but it’s all downhill. Close to the ground, you’ll find both the Dyers Arms and the White Lion.

Eat

One ‘feature’ of Leek is that it doesn’t have a single McDonalds, Burger King or KFC. But fans of the 21st Century need not fear, as a branch of Subway has recently opened on Derby Street. I’m assuming Subway’s slogan “Eat Fresh!” is intended to be ironic.

Other than the pubs listed above, there are plenty of outlets selling take-away food around the town. The best of the fish & chip shops is Monty’s on the market place, while Wright’s Pies on Derby Street serves hot & cold snacks, including pie, peas & gravy for £2.

The Ground

Harrison Park has a capacity of 3,000 – including 650 seats and cover on all four sides of the ground. Both ends behind the goal are fully covered terraces, making them ideal for generating noise and atmopshere.

The Blues Bar can only be accessed from inside the ground before kick-off, but is fully stocked for all of your drinking requirements. There’s no Sky Sports I’m afraid. We tried pressing the red button, but it just turned the telly off.

A snack bar is also available inside the ground, selling hot drinks and your usual pies and burgers. The ‘Town Crier’ matchday programme is value for money at £1.20, and is easily one of the best in the league.

Leek Town is proud to be a family-friendly club, and the matchday atmosphere is relaxed and enjoyable.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2012, 12:33:33 PM »

Will this game be segregated then?
Full time and proud of it

Leeeeek Town

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2012, 12:38:20 PM »

There hasn't been an indication either way on that issue, although I would think it is unlikely.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2012, 04:49:31 PM »

LEEK - AN UNOFFICIAL VISITORS GUIDE

In your separate thread on travel, I noted that not many people plan on taking full advantage of the facilities available in Leek itself. Buses and cars from the Macclesfield direction will arrive at Harrison Park before going anywhere near the town itself - and it would be a shame if visitors with time on their hands were to restrict themselves to the pub adjacent to the ground.

The Town

Situated on the edge of the Peak District, within the backdrop of the spectacular Staffordshire Moorlands, Leek is off the beaten track, but remains a vibrant market town.

If your alternative is spending time before the game in either Hanley or Macclesfield, I would encourage you to arrive early in Leek and have a look at what the town can offer.

Drink

One thing Leek does have is plenty of pubs, despite the raping of the industry by the major pub companies.

On the market place itself, The Engine Room is a large, soulless Baracuda-chain pub – a bit like a poor man’s Wetherspoons. What it does do though, it does well. If you’re after a cheap pint, Sky Sports and a burger and chips, head here. Almost next door to the Engine Room is the Hyde’s pub The Red Lion. Again, this is very similar to the Engine Room and caters for the tracksuit-wearing lager & chips brigade.

Far better alternatives exist on Derby Street - Leek’s main shopping thoroughfare. The Cock Inn is a Joule’s Brewery house serving real ales and simple, home-cooked food. The Roebuck Hotel is a Titanic Brewery pub, recently refurbished and fully stocked with Titanic’s signature cask bitters. Note that the Roebuck does not really cater for lager drinkers, who are expected to pay a premium price (£3.70) for Amstel, while the bitter drinkers enjoy far more choice and much lower prices.

If you can battle past the building site at the top end of Derby Street, behind the war memorial is the Cattle Market. Now a Marsden’s pub, head here if you want a game of pool or darts, and the cheapest beer. Note that they don’t serve food in the Cattle Market, although just next door is the highly recommended Monrose sandwich shop, serving everything from cheese-filled North Staffordshire oatcakes to bacon sandwiches.

At the other end of Derby Street (opposite side to the war memorial), you’ll find The Valiant, Belgian Bar ‘Den Engel’, The Black Swan and The Bird In Hand.

All of the pubs listed above are a 15 minute walk from the ground, but it’s all downhill. Close to the ground, you’ll find both the Dyers Arms and the White Lion.

Eat

One ‘feature’ of Leek is that it doesn’t have a single McDonalds, Burger King or KFC. But fans of the 21st Century need not fear, as a branch of Subway has recently opened on Derby Street. I’m assuming Subway’s slogan “Eat Fresh!” is intended to be ironic.

Other than the pubs listed above, there are plenty of outlets selling take-away food around the town. The best of the fish & chip shops is Monty’s on the market place, while Wright’s Pies on Derby Street serves hot & cold snacks, including pie, peas & gravy for £2.

The Ground

Harrison Park has a capacity of 3,000 – including 650 seats and cover on all four sides of the ground. Both ends behind the goal are fully covered terraces, making them ideal for generating noise and atmopshere.

The Blues Bar can only be accessed from inside the ground before kick-off, but is fully stocked for all of your drinking requirements. There’s no Sky Sports I’m afraid. We tried pressing the red button, but it just turned the telly off.

A snack bar is also available inside the ground, selling hot drinks and your usual pies and burgers. The ‘Town Crier’ matchday programme is value for money at £1.20, and is easily one of the best in the league.

Leek Town is proud to be a family-friendly club, and the matchday atmosphere is relaxed and enjoyable.

Most useful, many thanks, the leek Bonz!

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2012, 04:59:48 PM »

Most useful, many thanks, the leek Bonz!

;D
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

York Alty

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2012, 05:43:35 PM »

There hasn't been an indication either way on that issue, although I would think it is unlikely.

The note about potteries fans concerns me.  We've had bitter experience of the sort of dipsticks that support port vale.  I would expect this to be segregated, esp. if LTFC look like getting their four figure gate.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2012, 05:56:52 PM »

Jimmy Hill says "I think we are the only club in the country that doesn't falsify attendance figures" whilst on a parallel thread we discuss Alty v Barnet 1991 - How ironic
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Leek Town away in FA Cup