PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Manager's job not being advertised
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Manager's job not being advertised  (Read 7509 times)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Manager's job not being advertised
« on: September 16, 2010, 11:56:54 AM »

Our new chairman is quoted as saying that the manager's job is not being advertised. I'm slightly surprised by this, I must say.

While we all hope that Ken McKenna makes a success of the chance he now has, thus making the consideration of other possible candidates unnecessary, what if Ken's first few games don't go that well? Wouldn't we then have to wait longer to get a new manager in place than we would if we were inviting applications now?

I suppose the thinking is that talking to other managers now might undermine Ken's caretaker period but I'd say the most important thing is to get the best man available. That might be McKenna but it might not.

markecky

Re: Manager's job not being advertised
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »

The way it has come out is misleading.

When they say its not being advertised they mean that there is no need to advertise ( i.e small ad in the NLP ), calls are coming in without it.

There is a large article in the Evening News today linking everyone under the sun to the job!

I believe there has been 15+ applications already

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 12:03:46 PM »

I think what we can take from this is, like any good job in football, once the position becomes available there are a flurry of CV's winging their way. I would assume that what he meant would be that, apart from anything else, we wouldn't need to advertise.

Although this is all my assumption, I think it makes much more sense than thinking KMc has got the job or that the board's waiting for him to fail before advertsing the position - a course which would leave us with much less time to pull ourselves round. I give the board much more credit than to think they would do that.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Jenga

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »

You never know who is the right man for the job - Darlington a casing point.

Even if you receive 100 applicants and you narrow this down to 3 and take the one you think is best - is he the best man for the job who understands the setup at Alty?

Ken has the benefit of knowing the club and its ethos. He knows what to expect. He knows the players and knows the board.

As Ken was GH number 2 I am sure he would have had input into the formations and playing squad, but his influence would had been limited in that GH would have had the final say and Ken would have to go along with it.

Ken can now instill his own methods without being told or asked to do it another way.

The only concern I have is that Ken might have 100% agreed with GH on his methods, in which case change might not happen.

At the end of the day it is all about "if, buts and maybes". I guess we will know more this time next month.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 12:05:55 PM by Jenga »

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:04:29 PM »

I'm sure anyone interested in the job won't wait for an advertisment and will have already contacted the club.

Which reminds me.. where's my CV ?  ::)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »

The way it has come out is misleading.

When they say its not being advertised they mean that there is no need to advertise ( i.e small ad in the NLP ), calls are coming in without it.

There is a large article in the Evening News today linking everyone under the sun to the job!

I believe there has been 15+ applications already

Ah, right. That's clearly fair enough then. Good stuff.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 12:11:41 PM »

Now its the 'wonder who has applied' ... 15+ so far is still encouraging..

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »

The advert would need to read

"Plumbing skills are essential. Joinery and carpet fitting would be a distinct advantage"  ;D
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 12:22:52 PM »

Did we have a secret swear box at Alty for 'extra funds' cos if so these applicants best have a 'potty mouth' to help maintain the income  ;D

Narcissist

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »

My application is in.

Ive got some great experience at this level having guided alty through the leagues and attracted massive names to the club before. Im a master of man management and nurturing talent.

I just hope that the club would allow me to continue doing the job as and when the mrs lets me have the laptop.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 12:25:15 PM »

As it says in the manchester evening news,its one of the most high profile jobs in nonleague football and big enough to sell itself with out being advertised.

Moss

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 12:25:47 PM »

As a devoted follower of the Robins for many years and seen all the ups and downs I am confident in the ability of Ken McKenna to bring about the turn round that will happen. He has a proven track record in managment and his time at Alty will give him all the knowledge of the running of the club. Whilst it is possible for him to maybe have been inflenced by GH I am sure that he will put his own stamp on the squad.
Good luck Ken and heres to the turn round.

joe

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 12:34:08 PM »

As it says in the manchester evening news,its one of the most high profile jobs in nonleague football and big enough to sell itself with out being advertised.

Exactly Pete which i why i couldn't understand all these people that were saying who else would want the job.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »

Echo that Joe....

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile