PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wrexham Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Wrexham Match Thread  (Read 6809 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wrexham Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2022, 02:37:55 PM »

I thought we were loads better than last year (same score line I know).  The difference for me was the two strikers, palmer and mullin.  take them out of the wrexham side and i dont think there was a difference.  Then again we havent got 8k each per week to spend on wages so its irrelevant.  Lads shouldnt be too down on themselves, kept going to the end.

Can't agree with that statement. They are far more than just a two-man team, as their excellent fourth goal manifestly demonstrated.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2022, 02:53:08 PM »

Wrexham fans raving over how good they were yesterday ! we're making progress. In this league one or two exceptional strikers is the difference.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2022, 02:59:18 PM »

After what seemed an age to get there, I reckon we did ok but we are a little lacking once we cross the half way line, having said that Wrexham worked really hard closing down and with those strikers it was a matter of time before they scored, and what a goal it was. If only we could have gone in one down at HT but a lack of concentration and dwelling on the ball and they were in for the second and game over.
Onward to Tuesday and Wealdstone.

Indeed - two hours to get from Alty to Wrexham!

Our football was all very neat and tidy (and a trifle polite) but it all rather tended to dry up once we entered the final third of the pitch.

Aside from a couple of shots from Conn-Clarke, a first-half header by James Jones and a late strike by Colclough, their goalkeeper remained largely untroubled.

We did OK for the opening 30 minutes but then fell victim to a clever piece of improvisation by Mullin.

You just knew what was coming next: yet another dispiriting instance of us conceding two goals in a matter of two minutes. Some careless play from the disappointing Osborne and could Byrne have done better with Palmer's low shot to his left side?

I'm afraid that it proved to be another day when the game simply passed the lighweight figure of Malone by. To my eyes, he doesn't look ready to compete at this level of football at this particular stage of his career.

In light of the glaring gulf between the two clubs, yesterday's outcome was hardly a disaster but there are clearly areas of the team that need strengthening and improving in the near future.

It was a pity that Hulme didn't start as had originally been planned, owing to his reported late arrival at the ground, as Dinanga was totally ineffective. Indeed, I watched The Exorcist once again on BBC Two last night and can report that was somehow still as shocking as Dinanga's first touch had been yesterday.

At least we now have a great opportunity both to take three points and redress the damage to our goal difference on Tuesday evening. 

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wrexham Match Thread