PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Luton relegated
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Luton relegated  (Read 3997 times)

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Luton relegated
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 09:38:49 PM »

I'm a bit uncomfortable with some replies here concentrating on Luton being a multi-cultural area, especially close to Kenilworth Rd. So what, I don't see the issue. Perhaps the local asians get a tad fed up of football fans "passing through" too. Come on, we are better than that. 

Indeed it wasn't local Asians that were waiting down the alley way after the game.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Jenga

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 09:58:33 PM »

I'm a bit uncomfortable with some replies here concentrating on Luton being a multi-cultural area, especially close to Kenilworth Rd. So what, I don't see the issue. Perhaps the local asians get a tad fed up of football fans "passing through" too. Come on, we are better than that. 

Indeed it wasn't local Asians that were waiting down the alley way after the game.
Indeed it was not - it was the local nursery I believe !!!

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 07:49:54 PM »

Nicked this off the conference board

Saw this from a Wrexham fan

[Hi Guys, Wrexham fan in peace. Copied my previous post from a different article into here to make sure you guys see it... all the best.

I was genuinely gutted to hear of your relegation, you really don't deserve it, and believe me when I say I know exactly how it feels, especially when your club has had a near 90 year stay in the football league and you're relegated at the hands of the football leagues ridiculous rules. I was watching skysport this morning and they interviwed a luton fan - massive bloke with a huge beard and he was in tears, it was terrible to see.

I hope the below will help you fans prepare for the harsh realities of life in the BSP, but keep the faith - if you give up on your team, the idiots who relegated you have won.

1. Prepare for a culture shock with the stadiums. Some places like Salisbury and Histon truely are tiny, and will be nothing like anything you've been to before. Get as many fans along as you can, and try to outnumber the home support at your away games - it does happen.

2. Don't, whatever you do, assume you will walk this league. Every tiny team will be after your scalp - I know its no guarentee they'll get it, but they will put in extra effort against you. After beating Stevenage 5-0 on the opening day, a lot of our fans assumed this would be easy - but look where we are now. Of course, it can happen - you may walk the league and head straight back up, i'm just saying its not likely, if history is anything to go by.

3. Prepare to play much better than teams, and still lose. Because they know what wins games in this division. I've lost count of the times we've been the better team and lost, because the opposition scrapped and battled that bit more. Thats how they play. Histon can't string 3 passes together, but they're still doing really well in the league.

4. Remember its not all bad. There are teams like us, Torquay, Cambridge (pending possible promotion), Oxford (pending possible promotion), York (pending possible relegation), who have good stadiums and fanbases. At our away game at Oxford on saturday you could have forgotten you were watching non-league football - 5,800 is a better attendance than most of league 2 and the football was really good.

5. Fitness is key. If your manager trains your players well, you can pick up some points (probably with late goals) against part-time teams, even without playing particularly well.

6. Kind of similar to point 4 - if its too depressing thinking of being 'non-league', think of it as 'league 3'. With teams like ours, Oxford, Cambridge, Torquay, York, Mansfield, even potentially Wimbledon next season (they are top of the BS south), it does sometimes feel like its not much different to league 2.

7. Be patient. There will be some games/results/moments that are hard to take. You've just gotta not give up - if you're in at least mid-table, come Jan/Feb time, you can still make the play-offs - just look at how sharply Oxford have risen with some excellent recent form.

Good luck guys, see you next season.

Keep the faith.

TJF

Sorry it's not as good as the 9" poo story!

@AltyDaz

York Alty

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 11:07:18 PM »

interesting reading.  The important point for me the mental approach to the BSP.

We LOVE being a BSP side - it's the highest ever league we've played in so mentally we are positive.

For the ex-league clubs they no doubt feel upset, gutted, all the relgation emotions we had but with a huge fear of the unknown and a big dose of humiliation.  If they turn that into a positive state of mind somehow they will settle in, get a quick feel for it and have a better chance of bouncing back up.

They also need to keep a close eye on the cash.  Lewes took 11 to Wrexham...a big drop in gate receipts that they will need to generate in other ways. not easy when the coverage isn't so good. 

Tough coming down into the BSP no doubt.

Hello Luton, once desribed to me as a west yorkshire sh1theap, except it's in the south.

WE ARE ALTY

Dougals Dad

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 11:35:12 PM »

I liked the comments about Histon!

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 08:35:48 AM »

interesting reading.  The important point for me the mental approach to the BSP.

We LOVE being a BSP side - it's the highest ever league we've played in so mentally we are positive.

For the ex-league clubs they no doubt feel upset, gutted, all the relgation emotions we had but with a huge fear of the unknown and a big dose of humiliation.  If they turn that into a positive state of mind somehow they will settle in, get a quick feel for it and have a better chance of bouncing back up.

They also need to keep a close eye on the cash.  Lewes took 11 to Wrexham...a big drop in gate receipts that they will need to generate in other ways. not easy when the coverage isn't so good. 

Tough coming down into the BSP no doubt.

Hello Luton, once desribed to me as a west yorkshire sh1theap, except it's in the south.

WE ARE ALTY

Wrexhams problems will be the sharp drop in home attendances since not looking like winning promotion, from 4000 to 2500 makes loads more difference than the missing away fans.  The level of debt that ex league clubs come with as well as long term players contracts should also be a worry , however luton do have money so they may do well.  What they should do is go about trying to find the better players at this level than keeping the team they currently have
Bernard Taylors barmy army
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Luton relegated