PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wrexham Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Wrexham Match Thread  (Read 10730 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wrexham Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2021, 01:30:39 PM »

A more encouraging display than that Edgeley Park debacle but, let's be honest, Wrexham effectively declared at half-time.

I thought that Wrexham lacked the creativity, pace and attacking menace that County exhibited against us but you wouldn't back against them reinforcing their squad with some significant names over the next few weeks.

For all of our possession during the second half, we failed to work their goalkeeper on even a single occasion.

Disappointing to see Marriott's home debut curtailed by injury but at least Digie looked more convincing.

Rumours persist (once again) of the return of a familiar face in the quest to boost our strikepower, so we shall see what the January transfer window brings.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2021, 01:42:57 PM »

Genuine question.
Do we have transfer windows in the National?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2021, 02:08:42 PM »

As is clearly the consensus, we were much better yesterday.  I was pleased too that the reception the players got at the end was broadly positive, deservedly so I think.  We are right to aspire to better things in the mid-to-long term, but we have to balance this with the hard facts that we are in a league where we are effectively classed as the underdog in the majority of our fixtures.

I think the small number of comments that have appeared on here recently questioning PP's ability have been misguided, and I'd suggest to those that have posted them that their hunt for a better replacement would prove to be a very long one indeed.
#coyr

Salfordalty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2021, 02:28:41 PM »

Genuine question.

I think we do. If they are coming from another conference or league side anyway. Don't think it applies at the level below. Could be wrong though.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2021, 02:35:58 PM »

Genuine question.

I think we do. If they are coming from another conference or league side anyway. Don't think it applies at the level below. Could be wrong though.

I don't think we have a complete ban as we signed Marriott, we've sent 5 lads on loan across the season so far and last year we brought PIGGOTT, Smith,. OGLE and others in.
It's all my fault.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2021, 02:38:25 PM »

I'd always thought it was just transfers involving League clubs.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2021, 03:52:06 PM »

A more encouraging display than that Edgeley Park debacle but, let's be honest, Wrexham effectively declared at half-time.

I thought that Wrexham lacked the creativity, pace and attacking menace that County exhibited against us but you wouldn't back against them reinforcing their squad with some significant names over the next few weeks.

For all of our possession during the second half, we failed to work their goalkeeper on even a single occasion.

Disappointing to see Marriott's home debut curtailed by injury but at least Digie looked more convincing.

Rumours persist (once again) of the return of a familiar face in the quest to boost our strikepower, so we shall see what the January transfer window brings.
Chris senior ?
ParkINson's red and white army

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2021, 04:28:55 PM »

Chris senior ?

Beat me to it Wayno! 😉 😂😂

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2021, 05:08:58 PM »

I agree that Wrexham were nothing special, but tbh they really didn't need to be. I liked the fact their wide players could deliver inch-perfect crosses into our box, but there wasn't really a great deal else which stood out. Also, their gamesmanship was excessive and unnecessary. They won't go up, as I've seen plenty of teams better than them.

As for us, I'm not even convinced that the defence is the problem. As a Stockport fan pointed out, our midfield is pretty much non existent. Time and time again in the first half, they cut through Moult and Porter as if they weren't there. We really miss the energy of players like Pringle and Kirby.

If I were Parky, I'd be looking for another Ali Smith character (not easy I know, but he's done it before). A number 9 is obviously a no brainer.

We can stay up as I believe there are 7 other teams worse than us. I believe in the management, but there will need to be some personnel changes after the Stockport game.

Kirby was a big blow but Furman, Pringle and Whitehead all should. Start above. Porter.

Whitehead has gone back to Vale.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wrexham Match Thread