PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Elam, who's next..... Denham ??????
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Elam, who's next..... Denham ??????  (Read 7634 times)

seasonticket

Re: Elam, who's next..... Denham ??????
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »

Why do people constantly get on the backs of some players who give their all even if they are not as skilful as some. Then constantly praise the supposedly super skilful because they 'terrorise' the opposition, and then when trying to be clever to prove how good they are, give the ball to the terrorised defenders and have therefore no end product.
Elam was unbelivably skilled at doing exactly this. To an even worse extent so was Logan.
It matters not, how much you terrorise a defence, if at the end of it you give them the ball. Being skillful is not always what is required, commitment and effort for the team good is far more important. Elam played for Elam not for the team.
Slagging off players who give everything for the team is never constructive.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 05:11:35 PM »

From a distance, I'm pretty certain that I saw Lee Elam wearing the No. 36 shirt for Vics at Moss Lane this afternoon.

Does that represent the number of clubs he has played for....?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

brian1925

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 05:13:07 PM »

Or the amount of players Vics have played since SK took over!

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 05:27:43 PM »

From a distance, I'm pretty certain that I saw Lee Elam wearing the No. 36 shirt for Vics at Moss Lane this afternoon.

More likely his IQ!  ;)
Come on Alty!

tpark2

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 05:56:24 PM »

I went to moss lane today (i expect some abuse for that) and Elam did his usual tricks and then passed backwards... Completely agree he didn't seem to have an end product. Don't think we will miss him and believe Denham to be a better player.
I also agree why do people get on the back of players like Peyton. He is just an honest footballer and a good squad member.

Reading Robin

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 06:25:07 PM »

Why do people constantly get on the backs of some players who give their all even if they are not as skilful as some. Then constantly praise the supposedly super skilful because they 'terrorise' the opposition, and then when trying to be clever to prove how good they are, give the ball to the terrorised defenders and have therefore no end product.
Elam was unbelivably skilled at doing exactly this. To an even worse extent so was Logan.
It matters not, how much you terrorise a defence, if at the end of it you give them the ball. Being skillful is not always what is required, commitment and effort for the team good is far more important. Elam played for Elam not for the team.
Slagging off players who give everything for the team is never constructive.

What twaddle.  Firstly the committed players are generally more appreciated by the majority of fans, especially at this level.

An attacking player who takes risks is always going to give the ball away more often, doesn't mean they have no end product.  Running with the ball even if it doesn't lead to a goal is useful- tires out players, draws fouls, gives you an out ball when under pressure.  I saw no evidence of Elam playing for himself, he tracked back pretty well i thought.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 06:46:43 PM »

I am surprised that Elam didnt get more chances in the first team from the start rather than coming on as a sub.. I also agree with the posters who say that it was him who asked to be released from his contract.. We have precious little depth as it is and the 5th bookings (Young and Doughty) and a sending off today (Danylyk) wont help the cause either as they will miss the Burton game next Saturday ...

Lets just hope we arent in the "KAKA" at the end of the season

NB looking forward to a home game next Tues ... Lets hope they dont segregate the middle of the popular side again..

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 06:52:34 PM »

He did wear the no 36 shirt and also played for 90 minutes plus 8 minutes of stoppage time but didn't impress much impact on the game
@AltyDaz

Graham

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 07:01:11 PM »

Surprised to see him in a green and white shirt today but I thought he did pretty well as did all of the Vics players. Thanks once again to you for your hospitality, much appreciated.

Butty

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 07:59:39 PM »

However to be fair looking at it, did we really expect to get much out of Burton anyway?

markecky

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »

Is it just about 90 minutes on a Saturday?

What about his attitude in training?

Did he add anything to the spirit of the dressing room?

I know nothing of the above two points but no one ever looks at the bigger picture.  Maybe he dden;t play because he didn't do anything in training, or moaned and groaned etc etc.

There is more to being a footballer than spiking your hair and doing step overs.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »

There is more to being a footballer than spiking your hair and doing step overs.

So thats where I went wrong all these years, sh!te.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 10:44:53 PM »

Players of his quality should be playing week in, week out. I am gutted, I think he's a lot more mature player than most and again quality slips through our fingers. Hooray I can see more of Peyton, love it !!!! NOT. Good luck Lee and like Logan I don't blame you for moving on, because watching a lot worst players play in front of you must be a killer. My mind is still baffled why you were dropped as you were constantly playing well !!! pisses me off. Denham will be next to leave ( watch this space ) !!! Gutted

Olly, Warren Peyton is not employed to do the same job as Lee Elam. If Elam is on the bench it is becuase Senior, Little and Johnson are on the pitch instead of him. Or are you suggesting that Elam should have played in centre midfield at York instead of Peyton because he is a 'better player'. You need to stop and consider that.

Baffled about Elam being dropped? He dropped out of the CSC game v Stalybridge with a mysterious back complaint that had magically healed for the high profile FA Cup tie 4 days later, which may or may not be an indication of his charcter but certianly muddies the waters somewhat.

Overall Elam was dangerous in some matches but not others, clearly he had quality but wasn't dominating games. He was patchy, that may be his fault, our fault or nobodies fault but can you honestly say he was so good that he deserved to be the first name on the team sheet? Hardly, I'm disappointed he's gone but not gutted. I'd have been gutted if Young, McGregor, Densmore, Danylyk, Johnson to name 5 off the top of my head had gone.

I admire your principles re commitment to flowing attacking football Ol but think you need to chill a bit and look at the bigger picture. Or to put it another way, look at it as in value for money?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 12:22:13 AM »

I went to moss lane today (i expect some abuse for that) and Elam did his usual tricks and then passed backwards... Completely agree he didn't seem to have an end product. Don't think we will miss him and believe Denham to be a better player.
I also agree why do people get on the back of players like Peyton. He is just an honest footballer and a good squad member.

Judas.

Well, you did say that you expected some abuse....!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

highwayman

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 07:51:38 AM »

He did wear the no 36 shirt and also played for 90 minutes plus 8 minutes of stoppage time but didn't impress much impact on the game

Agreed - worked hard but no end product. The Vics fans were screaming for him to shoot when he was in on goal but of course he passed - I advised them that Lee doesn't do shooting or scoring of goals - no goals in 27 league and cup appearances for Alty just the one goal in the abandoned friendly against Wrexham!

When he got the ball in space Leecreated that buzz of excitement around the ground and was able to play the ball to Col's feet (e.g. Col's goal at home to Oxford this year). Hopefully Chrissie Denham can step up and do the same!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Elam, who's next..... Denham ??????