Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Is Millwalls reputation putting off fans? Discuss...
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is Millwalls reputation putting off fans? Discuss...  (Read 7643 times)

teasybeaver

Re: Is Millwalls reputation putting off fans? Discuss...
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 01:35:16 PM »

To me it hasn't helped that the 1st thing people talk about is the security issue. One of the 1st things mentioned by the club was the huge police bill they were going to have. Its a league 1 side and people are saying we might have to switch grounds to cope? The police are over-reacting telling pubs to close or have bouncers on the doors.

If had a couple of young kids and this was an opportunity to introduce them to football then i'd think twice because of this security thing. I know people think that we have all this security so its safe for everyone to watch the match but who wants to watch a game where the only reason they are safe is because there's loads of coppers keeping trouble at bay. Its safer to not bother!

Obviously it won't be like that but that is the picture that has been painted. People immediately think no smoke without fire. The reality is that if it was any other league one team we'd be able to go on about other things like giant-killing, statto (knob) and paper-mache head (tit) and promote the game properly for what it is. Instead we've got the local town centre on red alert in case Alty descends into battle royal?

We aren't a club notorious for trouble so they won't care, there's no bravado in it for them, there will be no trouble, but we will now suffer from the ignorance these problems are treated with.

Add that to our poor form and the fact its 14 quid to get in and I think its put a fair few off. Please don't lambast me about the price thing, we represent good value for money but only in comparison to others. In general, 14 quid for a footy match is a lot of money for a championship game, let alone us.

Rant one completed!

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 02:28:27 PM »

I've been surprised by the lack of advertising. There used to posters on the boards on Manchester Road and Park Road, but I passed both at the weekend and they're blank. Unless you drive pass the ground itself, I have come across no advertising at all.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 04:14:44 PM »

However as has been said before there is no history with our clubs and they have bigger fish to fry than an 80 year old OAP. Have we, ourselves, exacerbated this factor by writing so much on the forum from the word go about Millwall fans and potential trouble?

Well said. FAR too much talk of Millwall's 'reputation' from the very start. Let's hope that's an end to it, but sadly it probably won't be.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 04:30:43 PM »

Add that to our poor form and the fact its 14 quid to get in and I think its put a fair few off. Please don't lambast me about the price thing, we represent good value for money but only in comparison to others. In general, 14 quid for a footy match is a lot of money for a championship game, let alone us.

Just as an aside everyone sixteen and over has to pay full adult price as per the agreement with Millwall.

Something that I feel is more than a little unfair.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 05:39:04 PM »

Shut up you scrounging student. King of self interest as usual.  ;D

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 06:41:27 PM »

I've been surprised by the lack of advertising. There used to posters on the boards on Manchester Road and Park Road, but I passed both at the weekend and they're blank. Unless you drive pass the ground itself, I have come across no advertising at all.
You have seen the boards but not the posters, Whats wrong with ringing the club and telling them about this oppertunity or saying i will come down and put some posters up for you. A lot of volunteers have give up there whole weekend and other times to help sell tickets so its not the same old faces, Millwall's reputation proceeds them unfortuantly and thats why the police have to taken certain measure, I can image this forum saturday night  if it did kick off and there was only two coppers in the ground. The police officiers (Not local area based)  i had a meeting with yesterday were quite surprised about the pubs being told to close and they are going to reveiw the situation.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 10:01:37 PM by Darren »
@AltyDaz

Butty

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 08:58:25 PM »

also maybe the club need to spread the news further away from alty i.e towards stretford and manchester. Maybe a large back page in the metro, or even in the stretford and urmston messenger and maybe a leaflet in the papers if the club can afford this.
I for one will definately be bringing a few mates along, and this is something we all need to do!!!

COME ON ALTY!!!!!

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 10:11:01 PM »

Shut up you scrounging student. King of self interest as usual.  ;D

Ha!

I do genuinely feel however that for the 16-18 age bracket £14 is too expensive.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 10:53:06 PM »

also maybe the club need to spread the news further away from alty i.e towards stretford and manchester. Maybe a large back page in the metro, or even in the stretford and urmston messenger and maybe a leaflet in the papers if the club can afford this.

I think everyone on this forum should be forced to organise an FACup tie like Ecky did against Darlingotn a few years ago!

Boro-in-Warrington

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 09:59:58 AM »

I am a Middlesbrough fan living in Warrington. Our tickets for Bolton on Saturday have sold out and as such, myself and 3 kids are looking for a game to go to.

This one appeals, but being honest "Millwall" does put me off a bit. Only been to Altrincham a couple of times, and I enjoyed it generally.

For me, One issue is that with the kids and the fact that i live in Warrington, and work in Liverpool I am probably not going to get the chance to get over to buy tickets.

Can you get them over the phone? If the crowd seems likely to be around 2000-3000 I can't believe they aren't prepared to sell them on the day.

Alty365

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 10:03:34 AM »

I am a Middlesbrough fan living in Warrington. Our tickets for Bolton on Saturday have sold out and as such, myself and 3 kids are looking for a game to go to.

This one appeals, but being honest "Millwall" does put me off a bit. Only been to Altrincham a couple of times, and I enjoyed it generally.

For me, One issue is that with the kids and the fact that i live in Warrington, and work in Liverpool I am probably not going to get the chance to get over to buy tickets.

Can you get them over the phone? If the crowd seems likely to be around 2000-3000 I can't believe they aren't prepared to sell them on the day.

It's not our choice, we simply aren't allowed to sell them on the day. You probably can't buy over the phone as they can't take card payments, but give the club a ring and see if they can sort something out for you: 0161 928 1045. Let us know how you get on.

Boro-in-Warrington

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 10:14:10 AM »

Hmm....

Not all that encouraging. I called, and you are right they dont take card payments. Nor can I reserve and pay on the day. I would have to come and buy them.

There will certainly be other fans like me in thsi respect, that don't live round the corner and can't just "pop round" (I am a single dad, 3 kids, and i work in Liverpool).

I really want to go, but it appears that I can't now. And that means the club misses out on the revenue too. I just can't believe that they can't borrow / hire / buy a card reader for a match like this.

Alty365

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 10:19:33 AM »

Hmm....

Not all that encouraging. I called, and you are right they dont take card payments. Nor can I reserve and pay on the day. I would have to come and buy them.

There will certainly be other fans like me in thsi respect, that don't live round the corner and can't just "pop round" (I am a single dad, 3 kids, and i work in Liverpool).

I really want to go, but it appears that I can't now. And that means the club misses out on the revenue too. I just can't believe that they can't borrow / hire / buy a card reader for a match like this.

Do you know anyone who lives near the ground? I don't know if anyone could arrange to buy the tickets on your behalf and meet you on the day? Either that or if an alty fan on here has a Paypal account and were willing to pop to the ground for you you could send them the money and they could then buy your tickets? The only other thing I can suggest is coming down to the ground one evening as tickets are being sold until 8pm each night. I appreciate that with 3 kids to take care of this is easier said than done.

Hope you can get your tickets mate. :)

Boro-in-Warrington

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2007, 10:24:06 AM »

Getting there before Saturday is a non-starter unfortunately.

Here is the offer then. If anyone reading has a Paypal account, I will send them the money today for 1 adult and 3 children's tickets (8,10,12) - total £29, and collect them from on Saturday - God i am trusting!!!

In return, a pint!

DarrenH

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2007, 10:52:20 AM »

Not in a position to help you out mate but hope someone manages to sort something out for you.
These guys are the kind of neutrals we need to encourage.
I am also a little surprised that there is no credit card facility set up. Maybe this is something we need to look at ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Is Millwalls reputation putting off fans? Discuss...