PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bring back Maddox and Pottsy
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bring back Maddox and Pottsy  (Read 6548 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 17, 2007, 11:50:35 AM »

Band is a big loss for us, a quality centre back. I will be disappointed if Band leaves for Hyde. Hyde is a nice set up but they are a small club. Fair enough if he wanted to return to the conference.

Reading before that GH needs Gary Scott to prove his fitness.We need to keep Scotty,half fit Scotty can defend better than bloody Aspinal, who just leathers tha ball up the pitch. Think we need to release Andy Scott to make room for a another player, one that can maybe play football. Still don't forgive him for that back pass, which helped towards are relegation.

Got to try and get Pottsy and Maddox back. A fit Maddox can fill Bandy'd boots in this league. Pottsy is a class player who can change the game with one pass/cross. As said before I prefer Rod, but if we got Pottsy back O'Neil would benefit because I could see him getting a lot more headed goals. When Hallows scored a few goals in a short period of time I remeber Pottsy setting so many upl. I feel we have missed a winger like Pottsy last season who can get to the by line and whip in a quality hard ball. If we can keep Lewis and get Pottsy then we have good width, but I feel we still need another two wide attacking players. Lewis should stay one more season as this league would make him a stronger player and if he kept fit then he would become a lot better player !!!!

Bring Kieran back as well, someone who we can put on in last 20 mins. He did so well for us and changed games. A bit more effective then McFadden. This league is no where near the fitness of the conference so if we keep everyone fit and have quick players to bring on who can attack we will do ok.

AltySi

Re: Bring back Maddox and Pottsy
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 12:05:46 PM »

How about finding some new blood instead of going backwards again, I think it would be a backwards step to sign either player even though they gave excellent service in their time here.

Jenga

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 12:16:09 PM »

I would agree that we look to sign neither of them.

If we are looking for promotion then they will have to be released again next season.

Look forward and bring in new blood. Who I have no idea.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 12:17:55 PM »

Awful idea. We've just lost Band so why on earth would we want to bring in an older, slower and worse player to replace him?
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 12:52:42 PM »

Don't think Maddox, Keiron or Pottsy should come back. As others have said, we need to move forward and start planning/building for the future. What would happen if we got promoted? None of those players are good enough for Conf National. Surely we should be looking at young, talented players in the lower leagues or bringing through some youth teamers.

Pottsy was *never* fit. He knew he was unfit, yet could never be arsed to lose a few pounds. Whilst he could produce it on occasion, he became too much of a liability for me - he never tracked back and he rarely beat anyone attacking wise.

I'd be very surprised (and extremely disappointed) if Gary Scott was released. He's a fine defender and offers more attacking options than bloody Aspinall, whose only contribution to most games is to hoof the ball over the Golf Road end.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 01:05:57 PM »

I think in planning for next season there should be no room for sentimentality when it comes to choosing players. GH is right to choose players who want to play for the club but there should be a little realism involved in the criteria too.

Eddie Hussin, if fit, would be a marvellous addition to the squad. If Pottsy were to prove his fitness (and was able to last a full 90 minutes) then fine, he'd be a godsend on the wing. However, Maddox returning as a player would be a bad move (as a coach would be a different thing altogether) and as previously stated, I think Talbs may just be a bit too old now despite his great service to the club.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 01:09:23 PM »

OK I understand why people want new players, but I don't think you are realising some things here;

1) Yes we would probably have to release them if we went up but thats obvious because we are NOT going to attract or sign players who are Conference Standard in this league
2) we have to work in a budget and most non-league players expect bigger wages than they are going to get, when playing for Alty, so bringing back players who know this and who want to play with their heart. Pottsy and Maddox would be great assets. As for people slagging off Pottsy fitness, thats a joke, he was not being played when he was unfit and when you are part time and train once or maybe twice a week then you are not going to get as fit as players who play week in and week out, same situation now with Rod.If we played him often he would be a great finisher in Conference North.
3) and one of you send young players, well Kieran is young and a threat. People's memories must be short because I remember him tearing defences apart when he came on.

And why not bring players back, Bandy had a great couple of seasons back here. We've lost Bandy and may lose Munroe, Talbot is far too old, so bring back Maddox. If Munroe goes we would need to sign at least another two CB's anyway. Pottsy set so many goals and opportunities up, for me he would be welcomed back. Lawton is no winger and could do a great job in cente mid for us, Lewis isn't an out and out winger too. I think people don't realise how hard it is to get quality players in this league as most would start at Conference level. I think we could re-sign players,but ifwe did get promoted then yes we would need new players who are conference standard !!!!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 01:12:31 PM »

We just basically haven't got a clue what type of players are available and what other clubs can offer them.  :-\

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 01:13:57 PM »

Legend that Maddox is, it would be a massive backward step bringing him back as a player.  At the end of the day is there any other 30 something centre back from a lower half Conference North team that we are suggesting?  

Potts? Why did Potts leave in the first place if we should have him back only a few months later?  What's happened in those past few months?

Why can't we try and get some new blood in?  I've nothing against bringing old players back if they still have something to offer - Coburn the classic example - but I feel we're putting sentiment before logic too often

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 01:15:13 PM »

He may be loyal, he may be cheap, but if he isn't good enough then these (admirable) qualities do not matter one jot.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

le bignose

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 01:31:57 PM »

totally disagree with this oneedham post!!
thats like saying bring back Pete Thompson cos he was with us in the conference!! The future means forward and so does getting players in who can take us there!! Not the past who have missed out on a yrs football with the club and the standard of the conference! If we get players in who are only adapt to the standard of conference north league then we have more work to do if promoted as the players oneedham has mentioned are of the older and un fitter players who again wont be good enough to carry on!! i say young, fresh meat please!!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 01:33:31 PM by le bignose »

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »

le bignose dave Purslow,go and find the players then

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 03:19:26 PM »

Dear God!

Potts, Maddox, Lugsden......why are we looking backwards?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 03:42:47 PM »

Dear God!

Potts, Maddox, Lugsden......why are we looking backwards?

lugsden left on loan. why shouldnt he come back??
Potts left coz he didnt have the fitness, maybe a good run for barrow is what he needed. and not having peter thompson around for the midnight feast should help his weight. pottsy is a quality winger, something we severly lacked last season.

Maddox, if anything should come back in a coaching role. i would like to see someone new to the club brought in, but finances (?) may be against us.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 03:45:09 PM »

Surely if Barrow want to keep Potts it's all academic anyway. If he's playing regularly which is what he wanted when he left, then why would he want to leave Barrow?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team