News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 21 Years Ago Today

Author Topic: 21 Years Ago Today  (Read 1758 times)

Linda

21 Years Ago Today
« on: May 17, 2007, 11:22:59 AM »

Alty won the FA Trophy at Wembley - 17th May 1986.

I clearly remember it well because I was on the "Football Special" train. I remember it pulling in to Altrincham station and it took up the entire length of the Manchester-bound middle platform.

Plus, it was my first experience of having cans of pop confiscated on the way in to the stadium.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 04:41:06 PM by Linda »

Jezza

Re: 21 Years Ago Today
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 11:51:50 AM »

Cue the gazelle in misty eyed merories of the train and the perm's fascinating stories of bus timetables at that time.

Let us bow our heads and remember the heroes at this time though.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 02:30:14 PM »

Great memories but I think you'll find it was 19 yrs ago, not 21. for some reason we went up and got the special at Oxford Road. Maybe there was more than one train. Was only my third alty game ever as well. I don't remember any problems with cans apart from where to put the empties. On the way back we queued up at an offy in Wemble where the shopkeeper had an alsatian next to the till. Before the match in some pub a Leatherhead fan "entertained" us with stories of sharpened metal combs.

Edit .I've forgotten how old I am. That was 29 years ago. different final. different trains. similar memories.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 02:32:52 PM by Unemployed Coalminer »

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 02:34:45 PM »

1986 was 21 years ago.

thegazelle

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 03:50:30 PM »

The leatherhead one was a massive football special, i was a member of the raid on the offlicence and did manage to borrow a tin or two that the alsation didnt spot although i did have to buy some. What a day that was and rounded off by the special stopping for ages in northwich with a bunch of their yobs on a field hurling stones etc all we had to reply with was full tins of beer. I think the Leatherhead guy would have been all mouth as one of the early hooligan books describes Alty's arrival at wembley "we(chelsea ) waited in the carpark to ambush the alty fans on arrival only to find the pride of manchester emptied of the coaches" ( they ran away)
It was all different in the 70's

82 was a quiet do on the club bus and a very somber but not sober night in chequers was had by all i recall giving cornerflag a job at the Bowdon and then making him work as only one of us could have the day off now that was a clever bit of delegation

86 as mentioned above was a loony bus from the cheshire mid with a stop in richmond before the match a fantastic day.

Anybody who says the FA trophy final at wembley is pointless is wrong they are entitled to their opinion but its wrong. it was and will be the only way i will get to see my team play at the greatest ground in history. my life may be sad but there are very few days that have been bettter in my life which is why i harp on about them.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 21 Years Ago Today