Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 So, overdue poetic justice if Grimsby & Luton get relegated to the BSP?

Author Topic: So, overdue poetic justice if Grimsby & Luton get relegated to the BSP?  (Read 3071 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Didn't representatives of both those teams let Alty down by failing to attend the re-election meeting back in 1980, when Rochdale maintained their position as a Football League club by a solitary vote?

Some grudges last forever.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Failing that, Barnet will do.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Failing that, Barnet will do.

chester please

fuertes

Didn't the Luton representative say he was going to vote for Alty's promotion, but got stuck in traffic or something??

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Cult,

Great minds think alike!

I've started typing a "Revenge / Justice" note a few times over the last few weeks to be thwarted by dodgy networks etc.

I had hoped (dreamt) we'd accelerate into a playoff place to give a further ironic twist to the situation

On other subjects:

I was one of the 35(+) at Kettering and agree with Graham's view that we were the better team at the end of the first half and  beginning of the second - our problem was we equalised too early - it was almost all Kettering after we equalised. (and that's three matches I've been to this season now!)

Extrapolation:

Performance compared to last 4 "relegation" seasons after 33 games:

2007-08 We are 13 points ahead of last season
2006-07 We are 11 points ahead of the season before
2005-06 We are 6 points ahead of the "18 points" season - when we would have finished comfortably outside the zone

But

1999-2000 We have exactly the same number of points after 33 games than we had in the "12th in March but still went down" season

And if we compare with 1984-85 when we finished 5th (i.e. playoff form) we are 13 points behind.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Didn't representatives of both those teams let Alty down by failing to attend the re-election meeting back in 1980, when Rochdale maintained their position as a Football League club by a solitary vote?

IIRC. one of the two was already in what is now the Championship and didn't vote (for whatever reason) I thinl this was Luton, the other had been promoted into it and didn't realise that they had a vote (so they said!) as the old divs 3 and 4 voted as a group after a meeting of their chairmen/representatives.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

For the record, here are the results from the re-election voting in June 1980:

Darlington: 49
Crewe Alexandra: 48
Hereford United: 48
Rochdale: 26
Altrincham: 25.

The Luton Town Chairman was stuck in traffic and missed the meeting and the Grimsby Town Chairman sat in the wrong area of the room and failed to vote.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 04:30:43 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

How did we only gain 25 votes, if we'd lost 47 v 45 (or 46 v 44 I spose then ok) but 25 ? Jesus.

We knocked too many clubs out I think!!

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

What would have happened in the event of a tie?
Come on Alty!

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

What would have happened in the event of a tie?

It would have been down to the number of "lads"....
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

thegazelle

i do believe there was a tie and it was the second vote that went wrong for us

VofD

Cult,

Great minds think alike!

I've started typing a "Revenge / Justice" note a few times over the last few weeks to be thwarted by dodgy networks etc.

I had hoped (dreamt) we'd accelerate into a playoff place to give a further ironic twist to the situation

On other subjects:

I was one of the 35(+) at Kettering and agree with Graham's view that we were the better team at the end of the first half and  beginning of the second - our problem was we equalised too early - it was almost all Kettering after we equalised. (and that's three matches I've been to this season now!)

Extrapolation:

2005-06 We are 6 points ahead of the "18 points" season - when we would have finished comfortably outside the zone

But

1999-2000 We have exactly the same number of points after 33 games than we had in the "12th in March but still went down" season
And if we compare with 1984-85 when we finished 5th (i.e. playoff form) we are 13 points behind.

Could there be a repeat.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Cult,

Great minds think alike!

On other subjects:

Extrapolation:

But

Could there be a repeat.

I really hope not
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 So, overdue poetic justice if Grimsby & Luton get relegated to the BSP?