PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A tribute to Jackie

Poll

What should we do as a permanent memorial to the great Jackie Swindells?

Rename a stand
- 19 (42.2%)
Rename the Noel White Suite
- 7 (15.6%)
Rename the sponsors lounge
- 3 (6.7%)
Name our top goalscorer award in his honour
- 14 (31.1%)
Other (please specify)
- 2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: A tribute to Jackie  (Read 2503 times)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
A tribute to Jackie
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »

I think it's really important that we do something special. Jackie was a proper legend and a thoroughly nice man and he deserves to be immortalised at the club.

Please give your thoughts and suggestions so that we can make this happen.

Thanks.
Come on Alty!

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: A tribute to Jackie
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »

I will probrably come in for a lot of criticism for this, but the area behind the goal we currently know as the Golf Road end could become the Jackie Swindells stand/end.

It was after all where he plied his trade. and I dont fancy the away end being named after him.

Any more thoughts, or should that always be known as the Golf Road end.

Steve from Sale

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 05:52:14 PM »

There is the sponsorship issue however it could always be " The Jackie Swindells Stand sponsored by XXXX"

I do however favour a top goal scorer or player of the year award in his name with a suitable modest trophy.l
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

bigcol

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 05:55:36 PM »

If West Ham and Chelsea can name a stand after their legends. Surely we can?

Jenga

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 06:16:29 PM »

I first of all thought about the sponsors lounge but to be honest having a sponsor lounged called "The Swindells Lounge" cant be taken seriously, I am sure jackie himself would laugh at that.

Noel White Suite I dont think you can change to be honest.

Golf Road, well in my eyes should be the Golf Road.

Now then which stand has the most stupidest name ever - "The Popular Side". Now that I think could be changed quite nicely to the "Jackie Swindells Stand".

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 07:29:56 PM »

have seen numerous ideas such as the Bremner statue outside Eland Road, the three muskateers outsiide Old Trafford and then there are the Shankley gates. Not to forget the statue outside the national stadium in Baku of the linesman who gave England the 1966 World Cup.
The idea I like most is on the outside wall of a stand at Boca Juniors Stadium staduim in Buenos Airies.
They have head and shoulders bronze outlines of their legends including Diego Maradona  (see below) and Antonio Ratin.
A similar reminder to fans entering Moss Lane would be fitting, such as on the wall of the turnstyle entrane to the Golf Road End. Maybe someone artistic could come up with a better idea than a bronse outline.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:32:36 PM by RedhillAlty »

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 08:09:38 PM »

some sort of statue in the space in the corner between the golf road and popular side
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 08:11:47 PM »

I believe that the hospitality lounge at Northwich is already called the 'Swindlers Suite' in honour of previous club chairman
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

seasonticket

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 09:43:13 AM »

The idea of renaming the Noel White Suite is, or should be totally beyond even thinking about.
Jackie is truly an Alty legend, but if Noel White along with Peter Swales had not taken over at ML when they did, there would have been no Altrincham FC at a level where the likes of Jackie Swindells et al would have come to play.
For those too young to remember the late fifties early sixties before White and Swales took over, Alty had out of necessity become a fully amateur side and would probably have ended up playing in the Altrincham Amateur League if they had remained in exixtance that is.
The Noel White Suite is a lasting reminder of days that were just as dark as more recent turmoils and must be kept so.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 12:34:19 PM »

I totally agree with Seasonticket.
Without Noel White, Peter Swales and Feddiie Pye we would have remained unknown, and probably gone out of existance in 1963.
What people may not realise is the time span of our meteoric rise in the 60's
We were almost gone in 1961, yet bv 1965/6 season we were arguably the top non-league team in the country, though this is hard to measure as in those days non-league football was regionalised regionalised. Through this success non-league football benefited immensely, as the formation of the Northern Premier League was Peter Swales brainchild. Also not only has Noel White been the backbone of Alty, he also has been the catalist for improvement in football in the country.
Jackie was however the first icon of Altrincham on the playing front. I am told that prior to Jackie, I didnt miss much at Moss Lane. I was talking to a woman from Altrincham on Friday night at a party in Bromley and although she would probably not know the difference between the shape of a Football or Rugby ball, she asked if I knew that Jackie Swindells hs died recently. That I think puts Jackie's status in Altrincham into perspective.
I would definately keep the name Noel White suite. There should definately be some reminder of Jackie and I have already made my suggestion.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 A tribute to Jackie