News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Blackpool v Alty - FA Cup First Round: 17th November 1984

Author Topic: Blackpool v Alty - FA Cup First Round: 17th November 1984  (Read 2445 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: October 02, 2007, 04:59:03 PM »

Has anyone out there got any newspaper articles/reports relating to the above game, which Alty won 1-0 courtesy of a Mick Fagan goal?

If so, please contact me.

Many thanks, in anticipation.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Blackpool v Alty - FA Cup First Round: 17th November 1984
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 10:13:04 AM »

It always amazed me how little coverage we got in the press at the time (74 to 87), always of the tone "Rough Tough Alty battled their way to a narrow victory against silky skilled Rochdale / Blackpool / Crewe who couldn't cope with the battling combative approach of the pluck non leaguers"  So I usually swore, screwed the articles up, threw them on the floor and jumped up and down on them.  No articles surviveZ!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 11:48:44 AM »

Has anyone out there got any newspaper articles/reports relating to the above game, which Alty won 1-0 courtesy of a Mick Fagan goal?

If so, please contact me.

Many thanks, in anticipation.

Of course I have. All the sunday papers in a scrapbook - and the programme.
When I get my 60's stuff back, we can talk! ...

PS: Great memories of that day. Took my 6 year old son and went into the Blackpool end by mistake.
When the two of us instinctively jumped up when we scored and the rest of the crowd around us stayed seated, he turned to me innocently and said "What's up with this lot, Dad, don't they like the Super Robins?" The black looks we got from all around was a picture.  :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty365

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 12:48:36 PM »

It always amazed me how little coverage we got in the press at the time (74 to 87

To this day, whenever FA Cup 3rd Round day comes around our victory at Birmingham is roundly ignored by tv and newspapers alike. They always show footage of Hereford and Sutton United and even Stevenage's DRAW against Newcastle (yes, they didn't even win!) always gets a lot of coverage.

I realise there was no professionally recorded footage of our match at Birmingham but nevertheless it is worthy of recognition as it was a colossal achievement.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 01:15:06 PM »

Just imagine how much revenue and coverage we would have received for our FA Cup exploits in the late 1970s and early 1980s if Sky Sports had existed at that time.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 02:46:06 PM »

That's a very good point Cult, now I think about it the media in those days seemed to latch onto certain "plucky non-leaguers" and roundly ignore others, ie popularity for Hereford, Leatherhead, Blyth Spartans, Sutton and Woking, whereas ourselves and to a certain extent even Yeovil were ignored. Even Wimbledon's win at Burnley in 75 received little coverage unlike their 4th round game with Leeds.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Stockportalty

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »

I remember that day so well! What a way to spend your 21st birthday, and yes, it was the actual day, watching Alty win in the FA Cup, against a league club, away from home. Aahh, the memories!!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team