PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stuart Coburn
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stuart Coburn  (Read 6331 times)

Knutsford Alty

Stuart Coburn
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:32:41 PM »

How long can this fella keep going?

Not moaning like but this bloke needs cotton wool round him

ForeverAlty

Re: Stuart Coburn
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:14:59 AM »

He's still going strong at the age of about 36, he may have a couple more years left in him.

He still shows real athletisism in every game, getting down to low shots, and sometimes getting up for a follow up shot.

As far as i'm concerned he can stay until he's 45 getting wages, everything he has done for Alty is worth a million!

FJT1980

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 06:56:18 AM »

I fail to see the point of this thread

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:33:20 AM »

It is an appreciation of a legend who is still playing out of his skin when others his age have hung up their boots.

It might be an idea to fit an irony filter to this forum, as a number of regulars seem unable to cope with that sort of subtlety.

RedWhiteRedWhite

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:13:19 AM »

Ignoring the pampered professional football lives of keepers like David James (age 42), Burton Albion (and countless other clubs!) keeper Kevin Poole retired last season aged 49.

Ex GK will tell you that keepers get better with age, make smarter decisions and do things like be in a better starting position to take crosses / stop shots etc - which is half of the battle.

Stu is nowhere near "old" for a keeper...it's just a case of him recovering from games, taking it fairly easy in training (Not Paul McGrath / Ledley King easy!) and if needs be...being rested every now and again...Reidy has shown he is more than capable.

Plenty more left in the tank i'd say.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 08:54:21 AM »

I was thinking the other of how stressful it would be if we had to worry about having a dodgy keeper as well!

Modern day Alty legend and top bloke as well.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 09:19:17 AM »

It is an appreciation of a legend who is still playing out of his skin when others his age have hung up their boots.

It might be an idea to fit an irony filter to this forum, as a number of regulars seem unable to cope with that sort of subtlety.
One word from Phil and FJT1890 closes his forum account. Any chance you could work your magic on a few others?
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

fuertes

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »

One word from Phil and FJT1890 closes his forum account. Any chance you could work your magic on a few others?

:D

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 10:02:43 AM »

Haha brilliant.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Jezza

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 10:06:17 AM »

to answer this question sensibly I'd say God is immortal....

Stuart is going to go down as our best keeper in history..he will be talked about in hushed voices over cider and bitter in ye olde bridge inn fun pub by future alty fans as yet unborn who wonder if he is myth or legend....and then there'll be some old boy by the fire with a rug over his wheelchaired legs who actually  remembered watching him play who will hold court and tell of the many penalty saves and that goal at runcorn.....

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 11:11:30 AM »

to answer this question sensibly I'd say God is immortal....

Stuart is going to go down as our best keeper in history..he will be talked about in hushed voices over cider and bitter in ye olde bridge inn fun pub by future alty fans as yet unborn who wonder if he is myth or legend....and then there'll be some old boy by the fire with a rug over his wheelchaired legs who actually  remembered watching him play who will hold court and tell of the many penalty saves and that goal at runcorn.....
I thought that might be me you were describing. Then I realised that by the time I reach that stage Stu will probably still be playing !

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 11:53:04 AM »

If the official stat sites and my maths are correct then Saturday at Vauxhall should be Stuart's 550th appearance.

If selected...

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 01:11:15 PM »

ALTRINCHAM 3 NUNEATON BOROUGH 0,  F.A. Cup 4th Qualifying Round match October 2001

One of the finest goalkeeping displays I have ever seen on a football field.  Still got the picture from the SAM showing Stuart celebrating with Bernard, what makes us love this club.

Jenga

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 01:23:30 PM »

ALTRINCHAM 3 NUNEATON BOROUGH 0,  F.A. Cup 4th Qualifying Round match October 2001

One of the finest goalkeeping displays I have ever seen on a football field.  Still got the picture from the SAM showing Stuart celebrating with Bernard, what makes us love this club.

I fail to see the point in this comment.

Ascot Alty

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 02:18:59 PM »

Is he really that good?

Just kidding.

The goal at Runcorn was brilliant.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stuart Coburn