PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's match thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Today's match thread  (Read 11983 times)

Alty Phil

Re: Today's match thread
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2008, 05:48:02 PM »

In my opinion we were the slightly better team but probably didn't deserve to win, but neither did we deserve to lose. On the other hand, if they could finish and not blaze several chances over the bar they could have had 3.

At least it's a point against the league leaders, which most of us probably would have taken if we'd been offered it before the match

Jenga

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2008, 06:08:40 PM »

Well i am going to stick my neck out here.

I thought it was great performance today.

The defense were solid for most of the game and didnt let Salisbury in too much. The midfield battled for everything and were often than not first to the ball. The team ran so much that in the last 20 we did start to look tired.

Going forward we perhaps did struggle a little and didnt create that many chances.

Two weeks ago we were saying the defence was poor and making too many errors. We have tightened up but that is causing us perhaps problems going forward, but that will come once we have a solid foundation to build.

I am going to say "well played today lads, every one of you, you all battled and looked proud to be playing and battling for the Alty shirt." I know some will disagree with on that.

Bit Rome was not built in a day, nor i believe 6 weeks either.

Keep working and building and the football that we showed at sometimes today will be more regular and we will do ok.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 06:10:28 PM by Jenga »

Garveys Brother

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2008, 06:57:04 PM »

[quoteIn my opinion we were the slightly better team but probably didn't deserve to win, but neither did we deserve to lose. On the other hand, if they could finish and not blaze several chances over the bar they could have had 3.
[/quote]

Were you watching the same game we were al over them, they did have one or two good chances but good closing down stopped andything dangerous

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2008, 08:05:48 PM »

Have to disagree.......decent finishing today would have seen either side win. They missed two sitters and neither was closed down as the last poster suggests
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Sainthelen

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2008, 08:54:48 PM »

Well i am going to stick my neck out here.

I thought it was great performance today.

The defense were solid for most of the game and didnt let Salisbury in too much. The midfield battled for everything and were often than not first to the ball. The team ran so much that in the last 20 we did start to look tired.

Going forward we perhaps did struggle a little and didnt create that many chances.

Two weeks ago we were saying the defence was poor and making too many errors. We have tightened up but that is causing us perhaps problems going forward, but that will come once we have a solid foundation to build.

I am going to say "well played today lads, every one of you, you all battled and looked proud to be playing and battling for the Alty shirt." I know some will disagree with on that.

Bit Rome was not built in a day, nor i believe 6 weeks either.

Keep working and building and the football that we showed at sometimes today will be more regular and we will do ok.

We were there today- and though I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a great game or anything- but who would say that? But I tend to agree with Jenga. The signs are good, and they battled hard and if they can be a team that is hard to break down, that is a step in the right direction. The team looked as if they were gelling a lot better. A few nervous moments- yes- and a bit of luck. I just have the feeling that it's all going in the right direction, maybe I'm just an optimist, but I believe the passion and belief that stubmanred mentions will soon be in evidence. 

VofD

« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »

In my view, Salisbury were no great shakes and were there for the taking.Apart from their swift move down the right hand side in the first half, I don't think they created anything special.We pumped far too many high balls and overhit too many passes to cause them any real problems. I would guess that the ball was in the air for 60 of the 90 minutes with Battersby being the worst offender.However, we did create enough chances to have taken all 3 points, and if only Denham had squared it to Meechan in the 2nd half, it could have been a different result. :( :(

seasonticket

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2008, 09:58:22 PM »

I know V of D has this strange outlook where he only sees negative things at Moss Lane, but if he says the ball was in the air for 60 of the 90 minutes then I would hazard a guess that for 45 or 50 of those minutes it was put up by a Salisbury player. As for Batts being the worst offender well that is just rubbish. He had a reasonable game and was unlucky to be subed.
One further point. If proof were needed that the liner (sorry ref's assistant), on the pop side, did not know what is offside and what is not , even my missus saw two decisions he got wrong. Far be for me to agree with her on such matters but she got it spot on for once.

VofD

« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2008, 11:16:36 PM »

Yes, sorry, I meant that the ball spent a lot of time in the air from BOTH sides, but I felt Battersby had more high thumps than anybody else.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2008, 11:52:57 PM »

great solid result. Clean sheet shows we can defend well enough.
Well done lad espec WP

I'm sorry...but as someone who witnessed it, that was not a great and solid result or performance.

Two points dropped in my view against a distinctly ordinary Salisbury team (aside from Sangare in central defence, who was very impressive).

As for Peyton being selected as the man of the match, I can only presume that the match sponsors closed their eyes and stuck a pin in the back page of the Robins Review to come up with that decision.

One goal scored in the last five fixtures and only three points gained from a possible 12 to date at Moss Lane are reasons for concern.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2008, 12:43:30 PM »

In my view, Salisbury were no great shakes and were there for the taking.Apart from their swift move down the right hand side in the first half, I don't think they created anything special.We pumped far too many high balls and overhit too many passes to cause them any real problems. I would guess that the ball was in the air for 60 of the 90 minutes with Battersby being the worst offender.However, we did create enough chances to have taken all 3 points, and if only Denham had squared it to Meechan in the 2nd half, it could have been a different result. :( :(

Salisbury created three very good chances in the last half hour ???

bighairedmike

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2008, 01:24:43 PM »

great solid result. Clean sheet shows we can defend well enough.
Well done lad espec WP

I'm sorry...but as someone who witnessed it, that was not a great and solid result or performance.

Two points dropped in my view against a distinctly ordinary Salisbury team (aside from Sangare in central defence, who was very impressive).

As for Peyton being selected as the man of the match, I can only presume that the match sponsors closed their eyes and stuck a pin in the back page of the Robins Review to come up with that decision.

One goal scored in the last five fixtures and only three points gained from a possible 12 to date at Moss Lane are reasons for concern.

What the hell have they done to him since he was at Stafford? He was awful there and was easily Salisburys man of the match yesterday.

Jenga

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2008, 02:46:37 PM »

Salisbury were ordinary maybe because we made them look ordinary - we battled all over the pitch.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's match thread