PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Days Like These
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Days Like These  (Read 11049 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Days Like These
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »

To get us in the right mood for Saturday, I would like to propose  a thread where we recall great Alty days from the past...

There are many but our younger fans have been a bit starved of them.

I will start with Gravesend & Northfleet 0 Altrincham 2 from May 1980, the day we won the inaugural Alliance Premier League.

How many of us travelled to Kent that day?  How nervous were we with Weymouth on our tails, and Boston still in with a chance of the title?

We did not need to worry - a comfortable 2-0 win courtesy of Barry Howard and John Rogers meant we were celebrating all through the second half.  And after the game the team threw their shirts to the Alty faithful,  and then their shorts.

Buzzing all the way back home.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Days Like These
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 09:57:20 PM »

Yes I was there and got Mal Bailey's yellow shirt N0 4, still got it. I remember a fan turned up with a trumpet and played the cavalry charge every time we attacked, weird. I seem to recall John King got the second not Barry or it was an OG. Easy game really, dump of a ground and hardly any home fans there. 5 of us in a car had a great day out.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:07:32 PM »

You are right - Kingy first to throw his shorts too...typical of the man

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:12:21 PM »

Rotherham 1979/80 FA CUP - The archetypal Alty FA cup game from that period. I went to school in Cheadle and was obviously the only Alty fan there so our FA Cup Giant Killings won a lot of attention. Took a mate from school on the Football Special Train. Imagine these days playing a L1 team and being absolutely sure we would win - we did, so typically of Alty in those days. Mal Bailey, Centre Half, thumped one in then Barry Howard's wonder goal (would have been goal of the season if they had cameras there); Stepney saved a penalty; Kingy was...Kingy - shoulder barged their keeper into the net and was amazed when the ref gave a free kick and not a goal. Long train journey home...on the crest of a wave, we were invincible.

York Alty

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »

Many to choose from but I am gonna stay in play off mode and go back to thhe game at Kettering. Met a Leicester fan mate of mine for his first Alty game. Much of the game was a blur but I remember thinking how easily we were giving the ball away. But it's all about that headed owñ goal! When that went in it went crazy. From there it was down the road to Stoke. Happy days!

Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 10:26:22 PM »

A couple of matching games at home to Gateshead in recent years where we were one behind going into injury time and winning with injury time penalties. The first one I think mark ward got the penalty, I forget in the more recent one.

Also, two FA Cup successes: Stu wonder game at home to Nuneaton and the Poland hat-trick at Lancaster.

VofD

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 10:27:02 PM »

Brum  v  ALTY 3rd Rnd FA Cup 1986.

The game that got me really hooked on Alty after moving from London in 1984.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 10:41:54 PM »

April 2006.
Dagernam and Redbridge away.
What a wet TUESDAY night that was.
They were going for promotion, we were fighting against relegation.
Massive turnout by the Alty faithful
Won 2-4, Little winner.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 10:44:13 PM »

The FA Trophy win in 1978 - a fantastic day out at Wembley, 2-0 up pretty early on so we could relax and enjoy it and a win was never really in doubt though I can still hear the CLANG of Chris Kelly's shot rattling Peter Eales' crossbar just before half time.

An honourable mention for the FA Trophy semi final second leg of 1977 where we clawed back a 2-0 first leg deficit against Scarborough and Ivan Crossley gave a man of the match performance as good as any I can remember by an Alty player in a major game.

Paul
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:47:58 PM by PaulClementsLaments »

taxi Phil

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 11:04:59 PM »

The first visit to White Hart Lane when we drew. Getting off the train at 1am and walking home through the snow. Went to work next day with my scarf on over my shirt and tie as Nic Seller and Pete Foster will doubtless recall.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 11:08:38 PM »

Brum  v  ALTY 3rd Rnd FA Cup 1986.

The game that got me really hooked on Alty after moving from London in 1984.

That was another wet and windy night.
Thought there might be trouble after the game.
NO, the Birmingham fans started chanting Alty after the game.
Just keep reminding That Yorkshire Man David Seamon, that he got beat by a non league side.
My no1 on the hate list .

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 11:18:26 PM »

Has to be the first piece of silverware I saw Alty win, which was the Unibond Challenge Cup at Saltergate. Danny Adams sent off then the ref only playing 10 mins in the first half of extra time then playing the additional 5 mins. The scenes at full time were fantastic lead of course by the great Bernard Taylor.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 11:41:44 PM »

Keep it coming, this is fantastic!

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 11:56:46 PM »

sheffield united away was a good one as were the two consecutive wins over blackpoll

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 12:39:57 AM »

sheffield united away was a good one as were the two consecutive wins over blackpoll

That 3-0 FA Cup First Round replay victory over Sheffield United at Moss Lane in 1981 wasn't too bad either!

We comprehensively outplayed them that night - Barry Howard in majestic form and a superb strike from Graham Heathcote.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Days Like These