PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Days Like These
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Days Like These  (Read 11050 times)

Kingys Beard

Re: Days Like These
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 09:50:24 PM »

So many... My personal favourite is still Rotherham away, but Mossley at home in the NPL Cup Final c. 1979 was pretty special.  Coming back to win 5-4 after being 4-1 down.  Goodison in 75 too.  I simply couldn't believe my eyes looking at the electronic scoreboard (big stuff back then) and seeing Everton 0 Altrincham 1.  Too bad it didn't stay that way!  And an honourable mention to Rochdale away in the Cup 65/66.  I wasn't there but my father was and he never forgot the feeling.  There can't be too many Alty fans surviving who were there that day.  Anyone know of anyone who was?

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 10:17:19 PM »

Yes I was at the Rochdale game with my dad and a City supporting school mate and it was an unbelievable evening. At the time beating a league team was something we weren't used to!

My special game would be the 4 - 1 win over Barnet in 91 when I made my first visit back to Moss Lane after a number of years away. I'd settle for a performance like that on Saturday!

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 10:27:38 PM »

What a good thread this is.
So many good,and happy memories.

Jenga

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 10:33:43 PM »

10th May 2014, when Alty won 2-1 against Guiseley in front of a crowd of 3430. I remember when we invaded the pitch at full time and Reeves and Walshaw committed their future to the club for another two seasons.

Jezza

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 10:36:05 PM »

I have to go for Wembley '78....I'd have been 11......we had Dad, Uncle Roy, Big Bill, Brian Sweeney (all now sadly departed) and 6 of us kids (we 3 borthers were allowed to take a mate) all jammed into a white Granada esate....4 of us kids were in the boot.......when we scored my dad jumped out of his seat and all his credit cards fell over the row in front.....he'd only just collected them all up when we scored again......a dream for a young lad to go to the real Wembley, I was overawed and what a day and what a match....can still see kingy circling his shirt above his head as he ran back to the half way line....he'd have been booked for that today....

I went to both Rotherham away matches....after being anhialated first time it was sweet to out play them 2nd time......

I remember the Gravesend game clearly coz bigger boys kept grabbing the shirts as they flew over my head  :-[

Weymouth away first time was like playing in Europe.....stan allen heading against his own crossbar....our first encounter with that Italian striker of theirs...can't spell his surname...

Anfield was amazing.....we were gutted at half time and felt we hadn't played to our potential coz we weren't winning.....it was odd to celebrate a goal when you are 3-0 down quite as much as we celebrated the cote's pen.....JR missed a sitter soon after and for a while we were on top and an upset looked possible.....

I didn't get to the first spurs away match but the last time was a great atmosphere with the balloons.......f***ing liners eh?

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 11:17:44 PM »

Yes, I was at the Rochdale game and it does indeed stand out as one of the first games when we outplayed a league team and deserved the win. I recall that Les Campbell was immense.

mortlakebob

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 12:53:59 AM »

Great thread. SC**thorpe 1 nil 1980 which booked the 3rd round trip to anfield. Never seen a crowd like that at moss lane. Blackpool away for 2nd time with that gary anderson late winner was just ridiculous in 85. And merthyr 91 and a 9-2 win that really should have been 15-2! Happy days.

Altyrocket

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 11:04:33 AM »

I was at Rochdale. This one's a bit obscure I know, anybody remember getting off the coach at Grantham ? in 67/68 season and having to step into a tray with disinfectant because of foot & mouth ?

bumble

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 11:36:52 AM »

Darlington away in the final conference season.

Reevesy missed a big chance at 0-0 with 5 to go, and then managed to save himself by scoring 3 minutes later. A day when a lot of the bottomsides had easier games.

Grimsby away last away game on bank holiday monday.

I was on RadioRobins, and after being relegated basdd on results at HT we looked done. In the space of 5 minutes the results swang our way and I text a few peole in the away end. Seeing the akty fans celebrating when nothing was going on the pitch was brilliant.marc joseph  rose like a salmon and scored about 6 minutes later.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2014, 12:06:40 PM »

A wierd one - December 2006, away Grays Athletic on a Tuesday night.  Floodlight failure, delayed kick off.  Grays on fire at top of Conference with the likes of Michael Kightley and Aaron McLean in their team.  We were decimated with injury and without both Talbot and Band in defence.  We went 1-0 down after 5 minutes, and Warren Peyton picked up an injury which he carried for about an hour before being subbed.  Chavvie Essex teenagers were barracking us all through the match.  Complete Pandemonium broke out when Kieran Lugsden equalised on 90+lots for a completely unexpected point. Drunken pitch invasion ensued.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »

Wigan in FA Cup - The game that got me on the Alty hook

Runcorn, Boxing Day 1998 - Stu's goal, go top of the league after not winning in the first 8 games

Runcorn, April 2004 - Barry Shuttleworth opening minute free kick sees us into the Conference North. Quite possibly the most important win in the clubs history, as being a 3rd tier non league team could had meant curtains.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2014, 02:25:53 PM »

A wierd one - December 2006, away Grays Athletic on a Tuesday night.  Floodlight failure, delayed kick off.  Grays on fire at top of Conference with the likes of Michael Kightley and Aaron McLean in their team.  We were decimated with injury and without both Talbot and Band in defence.  We went 1-0 down after 5 minutes, and Warren Peyton picked up an injury which he carried for about an hour before being subbed.  Chavvie Essex teenagers were barracking us all through the match.  Complete Pandemonium broke out when Kieran Lugsden equalised on 90+lots for a completely unexpected point. Drunken pitch invasion ensued.

I remember this one v well. Ballooning in their bar pre kick off, just making the last train after a pint in the very dodgy pub by the level crossing and then having to take the next day off work as I'd lost my voice. A classic in its own unique way.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 03:56:01 PM »

I was at Rochdale.

This one's a bit obscure I know, anybody remember getting off the coach at Grantham ? in 67/68 season and having to step into a tray with disinfectant because of foot & mouth ?

I wrote about that particular game in a programme article for the Robins Review a few seasons ago:

"The Robins had crossed swords with Grantham on two previous occasions. Their debut at the Lincolnshire club’s London Road ground had comprised a 3-0 FA Cup First Round victory in front of 2,400 spectators on Saturday, 9th December 1967.

This tie was staged against the backdrop of a foot and mouth epidemic in the agricultural community and concerns about the fixture taking place were even expressed in the House of Commons by the local Conservative MP, Joseph Godber, who then held the position of Shadow Minister of Agriculture: “In the last 48 hours, I have been getting many inquiries about, in particular, football matches where teams are coming out of infected areas and visiting other areas. This arises in regard to my own constituency, where a team is supposed to be coming from Cheshire to play in a cup tie against my home town Grantham. Is this being discouraged or not? We want to know what advice the Government are giving in regard to issues of this kind.

“One has to draw the line somewhere, obviously, as to what shall be limited, but it seems to me that where teams are coming from infected areas there is a danger and that if they travel, advice should be given to them about their activities other than playing football, and not visiting people in the area outside the town, for instance.”

In a subsequent interview with the Grantham Journal, Joseph Godber advised farmers from the surrounding (Grantham) areas not to attend the game against Altrincham in order to reduce the risk of the foot and mouth epidemic spreading. The newspaper also reported that special precautions would be introduced for the Robins’ visit. Supporters of the Cheshire club would apparently be “neutralised” as they departed from their home town and a disinfectant pad was to be installed across Barrowby Road, which was the anticipated main access route for the visiting fans. Additional disinfectant straw mats would be laid out for supporters to walk through prior to entering the London Road stadium.

In fact, the match did eventually proceed as scheduled amidst the somewhat treacherous conditions of a snow-covered pitch. Indeed, many Alty supporters arrived at the venue after the appointed 3.00pm kick-off, as the coaches carrying them had been delayed by a blizzard at Stockport."

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 04:04:53 PM »

Looking back, a pivotal moment in my Alty supporting years was the 2-0 FA Cup 1st Round victory over Hartlepool at Moss Lane back in November 1973.

I'd started watching the Robins during the 1971/72 season, however, it was this particular match which almost certainly ensured that I would be hooked for life as an Alty follower.

Andy Windsor struck an awesome 30-yard thunderbolt into the net at the Chequers End for the second goal, prompting wild celebrations, and I'm still here all these years later..... 

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 04:25:24 PM »

The 4-1 against Barnet stands out, as does the 2-0 victory over Chester.

The three playoff matches in 2005 were particularly special and I hope the younger fans are able to look back on this current playoff journey with similar fondness in years to come.
Come on Alty!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Days Like These