PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The unpalatable truth
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The unpalatable truth  (Read 9308 times)

Macsporran

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The unpalatable truth
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 09:38:05 AM »

Like others, I'm dumbfounded by Lawries substitution last night. Not his greatest fan, but he was lively all night and looked the only one really up for it ( I also thought he was decent against Macc).

Sinking faster than a Russian submarine now, the next 3 games are absolutely vital now, starting at Barrow on Saturday. We need to get something from the game, then it's a must win for me against Aldershot.

Typical of our fortune for Tim to let that one in, a howler in every sense of the word. To be fair, he has earned us plenty of points through the season, but that was a real momentum stopper considering we had just equalised.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 09:45:56 AM »

The truth is what it is, frustrating last night. No proper RB cost us two goals and a rare howler from Deasy. Performance was workmanlike last night, but can see low on confidence. Pity we only lost by the odd goal, they had few chances.

andrewflynn

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »

A criminal run of six home games in a row and not a single win amongst them. Should we go down, I'll be pointing to that as the form reason we were relegated. This run was supposed to see us build up a bit of form and grab a few much needed points. We haven't and we need to ask why.

The fact we're one point from safety with games in hand despite winning just once since NOVEMBER shows how utterly toss the bottom five or six teams in this league are. Unfortunately that includes us. Plus, Torquay and Halifax continue to improve while we slip the other way so it's not too silly to suggest we'll finish below them.

So now it's all about whether these lads want it enough. Sure, there was effort on show last night, but nothing demonstrated that real fighting spirit we need in this situation. The squad we have is better than the performances and results we are producing but it's obvious that results aren't going to come to us. The players and manager need to stop feeing sorry for themselves and make it happen. Fight for it.

No point in naming names but a few of our players were utter sh*thouses last night. The time for trying to improve our pretty-football performances has long gone, I want to see this side with their sleeves rolled up flying in to the second ball. Confidence comes from successfully doing that just as much as it does from successful forward play.

EDIT: I'll add that it's all easier said than done considering the apparent lack of a leader in our side. I'd love for Jake Moult to read this. Prove me wrong.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:11:35 AM by Il Capitano »

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 02:18:28 PM »

A criminal run of six home games in a row and not a single win amongst them. Should we go down, I'll be pointing to that as the form reason we were relegated. This run was supposed to see us build up a bit of form and grab a few much needed points. We haven't and we need to ask why.

The fact we're one point from safety with games in hand despite winning just once since NOVEMBER shows how utterly toss the bottom five or six teams in this league are. Unfortunately that includes us. Plus, Torquay and Halifax continue to improve while we slip the other way so it's not too silly to suggest we'll finish below them.

So now it's all about whether these lads want it enough. Sure, there was effort on show last night, but nothing demonstrated that real fighting spirit we need in this situation. The squad we have is better than the performances and results we are producing but it's obvious that results aren't going to come to us. The players and manager need to stop feeing sorry for themselves and make it happen. Fight for it.

No point in naming names but a few of our players were utter sh*thouses last night. The time for trying to improve our pretty-football performances has long gone, I want to see this side with their sleeves rolled up flying in to the second ball. Confidence comes from successfully doing that just as much as it does from successful forward play.

EDIT: I'll add that it's all easier said than done considering the apparent lack of a leader in our side. I'd love for Jake Moult to read this. Prove me wrong.

Pretty sure that they aren't as you put it above, feeling sorry for themselves. They are trying their utmost to "make it happen"

A very wise football man once said that winning becomes a habit whereas losing becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. Had that header last night not bounced off both Damian's knees things could have been oh so different.

People have been on here saying that all we need is a bit of luck. I personally don't subscribe to that. However when all our luck seems to be of the bad variety that doesn't help.

A goal bouncing in off someones arse in the 93rd minute to give us a win would most certainly help I will admit though

roytonmike

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 03:30:59 PM »

As things stand we are in grave danger of finishing not 21st but 22nd at best. Other teams around us are getting results, and as has been intimated elsewhere on this thread we have a distressing habit of not getting points against sides at our end of the table. We have an enduring, touching faith in trying to play football in areas of the field where the watchword should be to 'get rid', no midfield to speak of (oh, for a ball-winner/frightener/'combative' player in that department) & an attack which tries to live off scraps of possession. Of the players currently available to us (discounting loanees) I personally would struggle to think of three who would in my view be likely to be taken on by any other Conference National club. All that said, I would have thought that changing the manager would at this point in time make no difference, as no significant changes in playing personnel can be anticipated - 'emergency loans', joke though that name is, are the only official recruitment avenue available (other, I presume, than players without a club of any kind at this time). Up to last night I had believed we could draw every game up to & including Halifax & still survive by defeating Southport, Kiddy, Bromley & Welling & hoping for a point or two from the other April games. The pessimist in me is now making remarks about cloud cuckoo land & I can't really argue with that. I shall travel to the end of the longest cul-de-sac in the country on Saturday in pious hope - with at least the prospect of a catch-up with a former work colleague over morning coffee en route to sustain me - rather than expectation, but will try at least not to lose that hope.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 03:56:28 PM »

Unfortunately hoofing up the field doesn't work because in the air we can't or won't compete. We might as well pass the ball straight back to the opposition.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 04:07:35 PM »

Pretty sure that they aren't as you put it above, feeling sorry for themselves. They are trying their utmost to "make it happen"

A very wise football man once said that winning becomes a habit whereas losing becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. Had that header last night not bounced off both Damian's knees things could have been oh so different.

People have been on here saying that all we need is a bit of luck. I personally don't subscribe to that. However when all our luck seems to be of the bad variety that doesn't help.

A goal bouncing in off someones arse in the 93rd minute to give us a win would most certainly help I will admit though

We've had our moments of good fortune over the season though e.g. that dubious first goal at home to Grimsby; a lucky 1-0 home win over a Barrow side that totally dominated the game; a flattering 1-0 home victory over Boreham Wood, who missed a golden chance to equalise in additional time and the Lincoln City goalkeeper's bizarre decision to indulge in a spot of 'keepy-uppy'.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ToffeeBlue

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 04:19:04 PM »

"Under new management" now.....

VofD

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »

"Under new management" now.....
Hope this will have the same effect as happened to Southport and Halifax on change of management. But somehow I doubt it.

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 04:32:40 PM »

It needs to be new blood though and not the assistant manager, although he seems to have that many fingers in pies I suspect it won't be. And don't forget what he did with Hyde in his last management job!

taxi Phil

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »

I'm sure he's only a caretaker.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The unpalatable truth