News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Interesting Supreme Court Judgement

Author Topic: Interesting Supreme Court Judgement  (Read 1684 times)

taxi Phil

« on: March 07, 2014, 10:16:02 PM »

On February 26th, the Supreme Court ruled on the case of Lawrence and Another v Fen Tigers Ltd. and Others.

This was concerned with noise nuisance from speedway racing, and the original judges had ruled for the speedway club. The main basis of their defence was that the plaintiffs had bought the house knowing that speedway took place at the stadium.

The appeal reversed the judgement, and made it clear that the club being in place for the longer time did not entitle them to cause such nuisance.

Frankly, I'm staggered.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Supreme Court Judgement
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 10:31:12 PM »

On February 26th, the Supreme Court ruled on the case of Lawrence and Another v Fen Tigers Ltd. and Others.

This was concerned with noise nuisance from speedway racing, and the original judges had ruled for the speedway club. The main basis of their defence was that the plaintiffs had bought the house knowing that speedway took place at the stadium.

The appeal reversed the judgement, and made it clear that the club being in place for the longer time did not entitle them to cause such nuisance.

Frankly, I'm staggered.
Now that judgement could open a can of worms!!!!!
What a plonker.

York Alty

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »

I'm not totally surprised.  Has the noise volume increased since they bought the property?  is there more racing now, thereby causing more hours  of noise?  Having no details of the case you raise it's hard to be specific but...

I suffer the blight of York racecourse, and the shambolic mess that is the traffic management plan.  We moved here in the late1990s and accepted fully that the racecourse was there, and that it gets busy on some race days / the regularly held special events. It does not give the racecourse (aided and abetted by the council) permission to make the changes they forced upon us (with no consultation) for Ascot in York that screw up access to/from the village for hours on end. Those changes soon became adopted as the traffic plan. It's a dogs arse for the residents now.

Although the racecourse was there before us it doesn't mean they can do what they want (in theory).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:39:22 PM by York Alty »

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »

It struck me that all the facts weren't reported in the paper but it did allude to the fact that there was a lot of noise late into the night outside the normal hours of a race meeting, and the noise nuisance also related to stock car racing which would create a bigger din that speedway. The noise of the average speedway match probably amounts to about half an hour of bikes warming up then fifteen to twenty minutes of racing.

Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 01:27:15 PM »

Surely common sense would suggest there is every chance of diversification in any sort of sports arena?

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 03:29:44 PM »

Surely common sense would suggest there is every chance of diversification in any sort of sports arena?

Now theres a word that takes me back to my youth at school

taxi Phil

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »

That's not "youth" and "school" as in Fred Talbot (allegedly) is it ?

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »

That's not "youth" and "school" as in Fred Talbot (allegedly) is it ?

No, I went to Navvy Rd :)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team