PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 MESSAGE FOR GRAHAM ROWLEY AND FAMILY
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: MESSAGE FOR GRAHAM ROWLEY AND FAMILY  (Read 15229 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:49:51 AM »

It is the morning after the night before, and like all Alty fans, I am feeling the low of the club facing relegation.

Yesterday, I travelled on the supporters coach to the game in hope and anticipation, but sadly things did not go our way and once again, my beloved club has to deal with relegation, and the flight to get back to where we belong.

However, this post has nothing to do with the whys and what happened to the team this season, I am going to leave that to others on this occasion. This email is about the behaviour of a couple of our fans towards Graham Rowley, Danny and members of our team. We were behind the goal later during the second half and Graham Danny and I think Karen was also in the area. They were spotted by the fans and given verbal abuse like I have never seen before, and have no wish to see again. I found the situation deeply embarrassing and potentially very harmful to the clubs infrastructure at a very vulnerable time. There was much shouting and yelling at Graham and Danny, which I found deeply offensive and must have been very, very upsetting for them. This was one moment when I was not proud to be an Alty fan and I among others greatly resent being put in this situation, which does not in any way reflect our club ethos. I have always found the club very friendly and family orientated, and love the company of my fellow Robins fans, both at the ground and particularly going tribal at away games. The whole afternoon, aside from the final score, was spoilt for me by those fans who made the relegation even harder to take than it already was. Results did not go our way anyway, so even if we had beaten Braintree it would not have mattered a pair of fetid Dingo's kidneys.

After the game the players also came over to thank the away fans for their support both today and throughout the season but this was hijacked once again by those fans behaviour as they laid into the players once again with vile abuse, some our better players included mentioning no names. At both stages several of our fans, myself included, turned against them and had a stand-up argument with them, stating they were causing embarrassment and also potentially damaging ructions within our club; which could now be rudderless as well. I have no wish to go into details of what was said, I refuse to give their remarks the time of day.

On the way home I was pleased to see Graham and the board at one of our pit-stops at a motorway service station. Steve Murray and myself made a point of speaking to both Graham and Danny to sympathise with them, and I sincerely hope Graham continues in his role as chairman, and gets the club back to where it belongs. The other two supporters seem to have conveniently forgotten that Graham oversaw our last promotion as chairman, two years ago. We all discussed this and many other aspects of what happened in the coach on the way home. All the other fans felt exactly the same as I did, so the individuals spoilt the day for other fans also. So thank you to the two fans for what you did, you were not help whatsoever and as said before, and embarrassment to the club. Unlike yourselves though, I am not naming names. There are ways of dealing with what happened last night, yours was the worst way possible.

As a football club, we suffer the relegation, lick our wounds - ie mend our injured backbone of the team. keep up our spirits of this great little club, pick ourselves up and then go again, starting Monday with the management update. That is doing what the chairman's role is, by acting quickly to put matters right, despite the major hinderance yesterday. We go onwards and upwards from there.

Graham, I hope you and your family stay in their roles and keep the club on the up, you have always done your very best for the club and I thank you profusely for all the thankless work you put in - every one of you. I am so sorry for what happened yesterday, you did not deserve the abuse you received and I hope the fans involved are named and shamed by somebody. I do also appreciate that all your tireless work for the club is all voluntary, and I am one of many who appreciate all you do.

I also think the fans involved should be big enough to apologise personally to you all, and hope they feel ashamed of themselves in the cold light of the next day, but somehow I do not think this will happen any time soon. I also wish to add that you were no help whatsoever, and you were an embarrassment to me, other fans and the football club as a whole - you know who you are.

So now we go again, starting on Monday, and beyond. The ship that is Alty will be righted and will live to fight again; and back where we belong, given a little time. I look forward to those days once again, accept what has happened for this season. My club will bounce back, it always has done, but I never want to witness a situation like that again.

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: MESSAGE FOR GRAHAM ROWLEY AND FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:02:46 AM »

In hindsight it probably wasn't a smart move by GR to come over to the terrace. What did he expect would happen - we'd just been relegated (avoidably)?

brian1925

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 10:05:11 AM »

Personal abuse towards anybody is unacceptable. The Rowley family have been brilliant for Alty. However, fans have a right to express displeasure if they feel the club is not being run well. Yes, there should be apologies for unnecessary personal abuse, but I'd like to see an apology from the chairman for the dreadful, cataclysmic decision not to appoint a manager for the end of season run in. We're all hurting at the moment, not just the Rowleys.

Just to add, I admire the Rowley's for coming over to the terraces - it would have been easier to hide.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »

It would have happened at any club in the same circumstances unfortunately

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 10:16:03 AM »

Whilst personal abuse is not right at all, the whole situation could have been avoided. I'm not sure that people who've followed the club all over the country all year to see abject performance after abject performance need lecturing to or publically hanging by someone on a once a season free jolly...

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:07:25 AM »

Just for the record, if it was a public hanging, I would have named the guys involved, I didn't.

I also resent being called 'someone on a once a season freebe', I have been to a great many away games over the years, several this season also. I had my name down on the list as a paying away fan last Saturday, before Graham and the boards kind offer. Do not think I do not have this club at heart, I am a fan who has now followed the club over the last 42 seasons, and I hurt just as badly as you do.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 11:25:23 AM »

I think the day is quickly approaching when we should consider putting all the sh*t  that has gone on throughout the last 9 months behind us and is finally laid to rest and we look forward with a positive mind towards the announcement of the next manager and let him start to rebuild for the start of next season.

We don't really need to harp on about what has happened. It has happened and that's that.

Lets not start spouting crap like "tinpot league" and "we should be beating teams like -------- "etc. There will be some good teams in the league next year and we need to approach those games with a positive attitude and not fear anybody. Whoever the new manager is, lets get behind him and show him what Alty is all about.

bumble

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 11:34:14 AM »

Without wanting to be a dick about it if Graham chose to a) approach a group of angry fans at the end of the game or b) stood behind the goal with the fans then he should expect there will be amanosity toward him given the circumstances we find ourselves in.

Any chairman would.

Graham finds himself or chooses to sit in the family stand during home games, and sits in a stand during away games.

Why give people the opportunity to criticise in a horrible situation.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 11:47:18 AM »

Everyone is hurting, that's one thing that drags us all around the country for nine months of the year. I've never been as glad to see a season end, it's been steady decline since Colchester. The line can be drawn once a new manager is put in place and we look to a rebuilding job. Everyone needs to remember people vent their frustrations in differing ways and none of us are more superior, special or holier than thou than anyone else. We all pay our money,we all do our bit for fundraising, we all care deeply. Let this sorry season go, yes there's going to be days of postmortem. But let's see what's announced tomorrow, all new managers at this level will come with some baggage. But let's give the new guy a chance to bed in and see what he can do.

Matt Taylor

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »

Don't tell lies Steve. Graham Rowley came over to have an argument. There was an argument. No-one was "abused". I'm not sure why you are bringing his family into it?
As for the players, if I ever see half of them again it will be too soon. They deserved everything they got. And more.

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 11:55:35 AM »

I'm finding the current situation very difficult in that I fully appreciate the running of the club side that the board do, and these are people who are fellow fans .....hard to criticise someone you count as a friend.

I try to balance my criticism with acknowledgement and praise for the superb community side of the club.

I was amazed to hear the is a large and perhaps majority shareholding within the boardroom.......the cry often goes out for investment with absolutely carrot offered in return....we seem to expect local businessmen to hand over their hard earned thousands and have no say in how the money is spent....I'd be furious if I'd handed over (say) £20k at the start of the season and seen it thrown at Griffith and then a decision that relegated us.

The people who say there is no-one interested in alty include those who fought for the majority shareholding in the courts a few decades ago....

as geoof Goodwin asked star "why do you need more than one share?"

I am sure the club could have a think about using shares to attract new investment.....there are little cliques of mates who are millionairres locally who would have great fun each throwing 30k a season into a club already infastructured for success.....cliques like swales white rosenfield were in the 60s....these are people who share yachts in monte carlo and think £20k for a weekend away hiring a crew is nothing.....

No-one can argue that we have a reasonably steady well run ship with a big community image.....avoidable relegation combined with comments about being happy with how the team had been managed into this state are going to be met with hard criticism from hurting fans.....cant stand the heat? get out of the kitchen....or listen to the fans in the first place....I will remember my plea for the board to do something to show they f**king cared....they did nothing...and we got relegated.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 12:39:55 PM »

I don't know whether Grahame went on the terrace for an argument/to make a point or whether to show solidarity with the loyal travelling fans but whatever it was a misguided move with tensions and frustrations running high. It wasn't hard to understand that despite everything that had gone before, most of us yesterday would have accepted the inevitable providing the team showed some balls but they did not. We could see that, surely he could see that. Criticism of the appointment of Tolson is well documented and known by all including Grahame, he wouldn't have been considered to be hiding if he had stayed in the Directors box, that is what he should have done. It is nice that as a club we have an open(ish) relationship with the heirachy but there are times when distance is a better option.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 01:19:28 PM »

Matt I am not telling lies, I heard everything that was said, including the remarks to Danny as did others nearby. Graham definitely did not come over looking for an argument. He faced up to the fans, maybe it was the wrong thing to do but he did have the guts to stand amongst us whether ill-advised or not. The two saw him about 8-10 yards away, and started the abuse. On hearing it he came over to speak to them probrably because as chairman he felt he had to respond and answer the criticism. There was no way he came over as you say, looking for an argument.

Please do not call me a liar, I don't like it at all.

GB Alty

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 01:27:41 PM »

Unfortunately we seem to have a chairman prone to misjudging opinion, and he's judgement has proved to be a liability to the future of the club

Forever a bitter taste regarding all of this to many of us

ShropshireAlty

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »

I was stood right behind the Chairman for the whole episode and this is exactly what happened.

Matt I am not telling lies, I heard everything that was said, including the remarks to Danny as did others nearby. Graham definitely did not come over looking for an argument. He faced up to the fans, maybe it was the wrong thing to do but he did have the guts to stand amongst us whether ill-advised or not. The two saw him about 8-10 yards away, and started the abuse. On hearing it he came over to speak to them probrably because as chairman he felt he had to respond and answer the criticism. There was no way he came over as you say, looking for an argument.

Please do not call me a liar, I don't like it at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team