PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Updates from the meeting
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Updates from the meeting  (Read 12583 times)

Graham Bennetts Perm

Re: Updates from the meeting
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2008, 08:28:13 PM »

Goeff Goodwin annouced that anyone who is a Alty season ticket holder next season can use his 285/286 Hale barns circular bus service free of charge on match days to and from the ground.

This is great news for bus passengers, enthusiasts, and bushoppers everywhere....a ride on the 285/286 for just the cost of an Alty season ticket. In my view, you can't beat that....if only it had been so in the days of the 298/299 Timperley Circular...

StretfordAlty

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2008, 08:37:10 PM »

I got on the 286 the other day, a lot of people looking bemused at Smooth FM being pumped out of the stereo.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2008, 08:55:18 PM »

In reply to Uncle Globnasty, I partially agree with the GH defensive policy against the very good sides, near the top. They are full time and fitter than us, we have lost to quite a few late goals last season on fitness grounds, being tired or losing consentration.I thinks GH is trying to avoid the 4-0 and 5-0 drubbings of  a couple of seasons back. We do however have to attack against a bottom 6 side on either ground. 

Whilst it is indeed true that we were on the end of a couple of big defeats, when we were attacking we also managed a few wins by the odd goal - the occasional 3 points would make all the difference IMHO

Jezza

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 04:29:01 AM »

a ride on the 285/286 for just the cost of an Alty season ticket.

A bit like the free lollipop for the cost of a family meal at a Little Chef.

A great way of looking at it!!!!!!!!!!

thegazelle

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 04:50:51 AM »

why dom they meddle with bus numbers

it should be the 99 (pre Selnec)) to stores corner or the 41 to the cemetry.

i bet they have even changed the 108 I still own the rights to the back seat upstairs even though its 33 years since i last took the option up

and before you start in your namby pamby southern ways the 99 (manchester) was for poofs, you know who i mean)

The gazelle ............up and working at 5.00 am and not still up and drinking like last week. Dont worry this being grown up wont last

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2008, 06:30:48 AM »

and before you start in your namby pamby southern ways the 99 (manchester) was for poofs, you know who i mean)

We all know the 99 pi$$ed on the 108  ;D
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Alty365

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2008, 11:38:04 AM »

In reply to Uncle Globnasty, I partially agree with the GH defensive policy against the very good sides, near the top. They are full time and fitter than us, we have lost to quite a few late goals last season on fitness grounds, being tired or losing consentration.I thinks GH is trying to avoid the 4-0 and 5-0 drubbings of  a couple of seasons back. We do however have to attack against a bottom 6 side on either ground. 

Whilst it is indeed true that we were on the end of a couple of big defeats, when we were attacking we also managed a few wins by the odd goal - the occasional 3 points would make all the difference IMHO

I think Phil's theory is quite sound actually. In our first season after promotion we were on the end of some big defeats, but if you disregard our 18 point deduction it was the only season we managed to stay up of our own accord.

In all honesty, the tactics away from home need to be tighter, I don't think anybody disagrees with that. However, if you look at the way we approached the game at Aldershot, our more positive approach nearly paid dividends. The real issue lies at home where it is likely we will have to win most of our points. If 50 points is to be a realistic survival target (I certainly don't think 43 would be enough again next year) I reckon at least 30-35 of those points must be earned at home. This means winning at least 10 home games as well as drawing a few, not an unrealistic target if we get our approach right. Moss Lane must become our fortress and defending 0-0's is not an option.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2008, 12:00:06 PM »

but if you disregard our 18 point deduction it was the only season we managed to stay up of our own accord.

This, for me, is the worrying thing. On paper our squad is better, but in reality our performances and results have steadily got worse. We can blame our part time status, the lateness in finding out which league were in etc, but seeing as GH is supposed to be the most knowledgeable man in non-league football, his tactics at times seem to be of someone who is new to the game (defend! defend! defend!, one up front at home etc).

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2008, 12:06:32 PM »

Teams attack us more - even at ML - because our perceived lack of threat up front. Another striker would do wonders for opposition formations and give our defence a bit of a breather now and again!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2008, 01:02:19 PM »

At the Fans' Forum GH explained his tactics and whereas some in the room still did not agree, the reasons for various approaches were made somewhat clearer to the fans.
GH explained that he would love to go on an "all-out attack" against our opponents, however we lack the players who are able to do this and sustain this throughout a game. If we had Banim & Fortune-West to partner Little up front and Panther & Elliott to control the midfield, 2 FL class wingers and Danny Adams or James Jennings to play at left back, then we could go and do this every game. But we don't have these players and GH explained that he has to select tactics to remain competative with the opposition and has to work out how we can stop them scoring first.
One thing he said, was that some managers don't have to worry about the opposition too much, because they know they have the best team.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2008, 01:08:47 PM »

SR I have to agree, we must be sen as a 1 man stikeforce unfortunately.

Hopefully we will sign a decent forward to partner Colin.

Alty365

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2008, 01:30:32 PM »

GH explained that he would love to go on an "all-out attack" against our opponents, however we lack the players who are able to do this

It's not a question of wanting to go for "all out attack" and GH completely missed the point by saying this. It's a quesion of wanting to set ourselves up in a way which allows us to attack full stop!

By playing one up front and trying to "contain" teams at home we were sending out an important psychological message to the opposition that we basically don't feel we're good enough to go out and beat them. You can't underestimate the importance of such a psychological advantage and it shows in the nervous manner our players have approached some games over the last couple of seasons. Look how well we played when we took the game to Salisbury in the second half of our last home game of the season. Ok, we couldn't sustain that for the entire 90 minutes and you would have to be barking mad to think we could. However, our negative approach in the first half had almost cost us dear by the time we realised we were good enough to beat them.

How many times in the first half of last season did our failure to stamp authority on a game cost us all three points? It can't be allowed to happen again!

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2008, 03:50:47 PM »

It really is withering all of this. I don't believe for one second that the fans forum has done anything to alleviate the fears of a large number of our following.

I also disagree with GH on his tactics and I don't believe anybody is asking for "all out attack". We KNOW we don't have great players,  but we have enough to worry teams and get some more results at home. GH's responses appear to be disingenuous. Nothing has changed that I can see, but what is the point in going on about it. GH and his negative tactics are here to stay and we just have to accept that (apparently). It won't alter the fact that the vast majority of us will still be excited (god help us) come the start of the season and will be there willing the team on (in spirit if not in body for those in far flung places). It's in the blood and it's there to stay.

COME ON ALTY
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Updates from the meeting