PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 BRING ON THE MACC TOWN !!!
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: BRING ON THE MACC TOWN !!!  (Read 8217 times)

Jenga

« on: July 04, 2014, 08:49:35 AM »

To all you older supporters I need say no more than this is HUGE for us. Possibly the most anticipated derby game for 15 years or more.

To all you yoof supporters, if you can recall the derby games against Northwich, you have seen nothing yet. This IS the derby game to end all derbies.

This will be the first fixture I will be looking out for at 3.00pm today.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: BRING ON THE MACC TOWN !!!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 08:52:52 AM »

To all you older supporters I need say no more than this is HUGE for us. Possibly the most anticipated derby game for 15 years or more. To all you yoof supporters, if you can recall the derby games against Northwich, you have seen nothing yet. This IS the derby game to end all derbies. This will be the first fixture I will be looking out for at 3.00pm today.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This with nobs on!! It will be great to get that feeling again - the one when we've beaten them in a meaningful match. Each side believes they're the bigger of the two outfits - but only we are correct.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:25:31 AM »

I've only attended 1 Alty-Macc derby....the 4-0 defeat at Moss Lane in the season they won the league and we got relegated. This memory needs to be banished!! Really hope it is the Boxing Day/New Years Day games.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:40:51 AM »

There's two generations of supporters been spawned since the clubs last played each other in a league or proper cup game. There's a few significant moments I can recall watching Alty that have been to painful and disappointing for something that your supposed to do for fun. When they went into the football league on the same day we were relegated to the unibond after spending much of the previous two decades below us really took some getting over. I hope we beat them twice and send them on their way back to their natural level. One of the original clubs that grossly overspent with terrible and ridiculous consequences just to get the football league place. And I won't shed a tear if they drop straight through. Bring it on

Beaver

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 10:10:10 AM »

Macc town away

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 10:18:15 AM »

Anyone who remembers that coach journey back from Rushden & Diamonds in May 1997 will remember the hurt and be waiting for hostilities to resume next season.

No surrender!
Come on Alty!

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 10:29:55 AM »

They won the league at Kettering on the same day we got relegated at rushden, you couldn't have made it up...

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »

They won the league at Kettering on the same day we got relegated at rushden, you couldn't have made it up...
I always remember someone going over to congratulate a car load of gloating Macc fans at a service station on the way home from that game, only for them to speed off before he reached them.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

markecky

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 01:53:55 PM »

I always remember someone going over to congratulate a car load of gloating Macc fans at a service station on the way home from that game, only for them to speed off before he reached them.

Not before they reversed into a huge kerb if I remember correctly.

As has been said, you could not have scripted it any worse.

On the flip side though it must have been superb for them!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:56:12 PM by markecky »

eightiesrobin

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 01:59:14 PM »

I've only ever seen one Macc game. A Boxing Day home defeat in their first year in the conference (1-3 IIRC). The most memorable thing was seeing Muttley McLad in the crowd. I don't expect anyone under the age of 40 will know who he is/was.

One thing I will say; I don't remember it being it a "must-see" game. There was no segregation either. I suppose that through the 90s, as the two clubs's fortunes went in different directions, the games became more of an occasion. I wasn't there, so I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:07:16 PM by eightiesrobin »

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 02:27:15 PM »

For those macc derby virgins do not panic, do not be nervous, be guided by the more experienced veterans, listen to the tales of beer cans being hurled....the joy of hammering them in the fa cup and the humiliation of being stuffed 4-0 at home and being relegated the day they got promoted.....see the sheep shaggers complete lack of gratitude for us opening the door to the the football league for them and their arrogance at ignoring that we are simply more famous than them....you will sense the hatred and soon gain your experience.....

derby virgins the only things I cannot promise is that it will be gentle for your first time or that it may only hurt the first time you try it.....

bring on the sheep shaggers!!!

CountyFan

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »

I think you might be disappointed, we've played the Milkies quite a lot in recent years and they're not exactly a hostile bunch these days. They bring similar numbers to what you brought to Edgeley Park but they never made the noise that you did, they're mostly old dears who spend half the game knitting and there's about a dozen daft kids who you can't really hear because one of them has a drum and he drowns out his 11 mates.

York Alty

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 04:21:04 PM »

Just about the worst day of the week for the home game but i'll break my arse to get there.

There is the debate about who the greater hate is Vics slime or Macc the Sheep Stuffiers but Vics were the easier club to play. Alty V Macc, I think, had more bile and vitriol about it, and those are some of the ingredients to a classic derby atmosphere. Nobody is going to be knocking crap out of anybody from the other team but the Macc games are going to be cracking on the Golf Road.

Macc - there's no hiding now. Prepare to lose. Twice.

Jenga

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »

I think you might be disappointed, we've played the Milkies quite a lot in recent years and they're not exactly a hostile bunch these days. They bring similar numbers to what you brought to Edgeley Park but they never made the noise that you did, they're mostly old dears who spend half the game knitting and there's about a dozen daft kids who you can't really hear because one of them has a drum and he drowns out his 11 mates.
Cheers for that, although the though of no actual hostilities i am sure is on everyones agenda. Rivalry singing and being bitter yes, hostilities no.

Jimmy

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 05:46:29 PM »

There's two generations of supporters been spawned since the clubs last played each other in a league or proper cup game. There's a few significant moments I can recall watching Alty that have been to painful and disappointing for something that your supposed to do for fun. When they went into the football league on the same day we were relegated to the unibond after spending much of the previous two decades below us really took some getting over. I hope we beat them twice and send them on their way back to their natural level. One of the original clubs that grossly overspent with terrible and ridiculous consequences just to get the football league place. And I won't shed a tear if they drop straight through. Bring it on
Grossly overspent with terrible consequences it's nearly 20 years later and they're just back to there natural level
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team