PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best 11
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best 11  (Read 6461 times)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Best 11
« on: April 25, 2021, 04:47:01 PM »

If we had all players available what would our starting 11 be? Tough one for me especially up front. As I don't think we have a striker who cuts it I'm going 4-3-3

Thompson

Senior    Zouma  Hannigan   Hampson

Smith    Moult   Kirby

Kosylo    Hancock     Colclough

Subs Malarkey, Ogle, Richman, Hardy, Ceesay

Could have played Hardy over Hancock but we might get a pen
Full time and proud of it

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Best 11
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 05:09:30 PM »

Think the above starting XI is possibly our best, but not sure i can pick Kirby after just one appearance... however, i do agree with 4,3,3 formation as can't pick a striker up front on own as no-one been good enough for role...

Hence, here's my Best Team (also in 4,3,3 formation)...

Thompson
Senior   Zouma   Hannigan   Hampson
        Richman   Smith   Moult
      Kosylo   Hancock   Colclough

Subs: Mullarkey, Ogle, Williams, Mooney, Hardy

NB unreal how many injuries we've had this season...
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 07:34:53 PM »

Thompson or Gould

Senior    Zouma  Hannigan   Hampson

Smith    Moult or Kirby

Hardy

Kosylo    Hancock     Colclough

Subs Malarkey, Mooney,Richman, Piggott, Ceesay

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 07:38:25 PM by oneedham »

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 07:36:48 PM »

So what's happened to Dens. When did he suddenly become an also ran?

I really miss not being on the front foot and actually attacking the opposition. Dens was good on the overlap but he must be suffering from splinters now.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 07:39:26 PM »

So what's happened to Dens. When did he suddenly become an also ran?

I really miss not being on the front foot and actually attacking the opposition. Dens was good on the overlap but he must be suffering from splinters now.

Even though I haven't included Dens I actually agree with this.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 08:31:59 PM »

The reason i went for Senior ahead of Dens in my team above was i was putting my feelings of how great Dens has been for our club over the years to one side and addressing the question of the Best XI from this season alone...

NB apart from the 1st two games, Dens has hardly played (just four 90mins all season plus few mins here & there) whereas after the 1st two games Senior has played every game bar one... according to JL's Alty Files Senior (3021mins) is only topped by Moult (3102mins) & TT (3330mins) of time played on the pitch this season (Dens 434mins)... hence as a result must pick Senior for a Best XI at RB... also Senior has probably been one of the top3 performing players this season imho with Smith & Colclough and Senior is also one for future years as age on his side...

Dens has been one of my fav players of all time hence reason i put him in my squad for Best Alty XI i've seen play for Alty since i started following the Robins on another recent Forum thread... Senior pick is solely based on this season alone and thus has to be starting RB for Best XI...

HOWEVER, regarding Dens, this season was meant to be his testimonial season with a testimonial game at some point... obviously Covid wrecked any plans but hopefully when the pitch is relaid maybe the Dens Testimonial can be the 1st game played on the new pitch (at the end of pre-season aways) and just before new season's 1st home league game... also come mid August hopefully fans will be welcomed in bigger numbers and Covid more under control via more vaccines etc...

Can't wait for the promised Dens Testimonial to reward this Alty Legend... wonder who we'll play in this game & also who Dens may pick for his Alty XI from players he's  played with over his time with us... guess he may well give Coburn a game in goal - i never understood why he didn't get a Testimonial after record apps 689 & long service from 1997-2016 (bar 1yr move away)... it will be good to see some of the old boys back for Dens Testimonial... we all know what an awesome Alty Legend Dens has been!

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 09:49:53 PM »

I think the fact posters have chosen more or less the same 11/12 players shows that we do actually have a half decent team when everyone is fit. What we haven't got is a great deal of cover for the many many injuries we've had this season.

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 08:36:51 AM »

Bearing in mind we have had countless loan signings that have sounded the business on paper but failed spectacularly on the pitch, I'm not sure how you can include Kirby based on less than 90 minutes play. As well as a striker, this position should be a summer priority imo.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 09:47:24 AM »

Bearing in mind we have had countless loan signings that have sounded the business on paper but failed spectacularly on the pitch, I'm not sure how you can include Kirby based on less than 90 minutes play. As well as a striker, this position should be a summer priority imo.

I put Kirby in because it's 3 midfielders and he impressed me more than any of the others that arnt selected.

And it's my 11😀
Full time and proud of it

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 05:17:30 PM »

Well that defo wasn't the Best XI today!  :(

Lot of squad/fringe players need shipping out in the summer and 3 or 4 players in needed, including decent striker!

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 11:09:09 AM »

Fully fit and on form:

Thompson

Senior   Mullarkey  Hannigan   Hampson

Smith    Moult

Mooney      Kosylo        Colclough

Hancock

I hope we're not looking at Zouma permanently, I'd rather have Sutton's experience to be honest (and preferably neither, I'd hope we're looking at some additional options and I'm sure we are).

Kirby certainly has the right sort of CV so I'm hoping he could feature going forward (same with Hardy) - we need to replace Moult on a full-time basis and that's not going to be easy, given the player he's been for us.

We've missed Kosylo dearly, and just when he was starting to get some unreasonable stick on this forum too. Someone to take the fight, and ideally in that central position where he can affect the most of play.

Colclough is a no-brainer and yes, I'd go Mooney on full form and fitness as I think that gives us some really nice balance.

Hancock clearly doesn't want to play up front, but he's not bigger than the club (or manager) and should have been made to play there more often that what we've seen so far.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 12:46:29 PM »

Fully fit and on form:

Thompson

Senior   Mullarkey  Hannigan   Hampson

Smith    Moult

Mooney      Kosylo        Colclough

Hancock

I hope we're not looking at Zouma permanently, I'd rather have Sutton's experience to be honest (and preferably neither, I'd hope we're looking at some additional options and I'm sure we are).

Kirby certainly has the right sort of CV so I'm hoping he could feature going forward (same with Hardy) - we need to replace Moult on a full-time basis and that's not going to be easy, given the player he's been for us.

We've missed Kosylo dearly, and just when he was starting to get some unreasonable stick on this forum too. Someone to take the fight, and ideally in that central position where he can affect the most of play.

Colclough is a no-brainer and yes, I'd go Mooney on full form and fitness as I think that gives us some really nice balance.

Hancock clearly doesn't want to play up front, but he's not bigger than the club (or manager) and should have been made to play there more often that what we've seen so far.

With emphasis on the 'fully fit' bit, I'd more or less go along with all that. I'd have Sutton in my starting XI over Mullarky, but there must be big questions about the fitness of Mooney and Sutton - that would be my only concern. Zouma looked comfortable initially but I'm not sure he's fit either. Glad I don't have to make these calls.

Saying all that, I'd love us to be recruiting the likes of Lundstram (out of contract at Crewe) and Sass-Davies on full terms.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 12:48:14 PM by Alty Bri »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 01:03:15 PM »

Couple of very sensible responses to the 'cull' approach here.
Must say I'm more in favour of this more measured approach and believe that's the type of action PP will probably take.
People do need to go to free up funds for incomers. Perhaps not as many as suggested above.
Also, we need to be signing fit players next season as the recuperation strategy partly forced on us by finance, availability of suitable targets and the departure of Hulme, clearly hasn't worked.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 10:17:53 PM »

Copied Inter Alty first 11 on the Eastleigh match thread.   

New Keeper
     Senior   New CB   Hannigan  Hampson
 Kosylo   Smith   New CMid (or Moult) Colclough
                           Hancock
                         New Striker

Subs- 5 from... TT, Zouma, Kirby, Malarkey, Mooney (if stays fit), Ceesay, Piggott ( maybe - needs to get fully match fit ).

I think we need a decent LB, mainly because Connor is always injured and isn't the quickest.

Also  we need to be thinking about replacing Moult and it would be a good time for someone to learn from him. Just feel we need someone more mobile in there. Jake has been unreal for us but he is getting on for this level.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 10:35:12 PM »

I'm hoping Dens hasn't scored his last goal.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best 11