PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 fans of the invisible band?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: fans of the invisible band?  (Read 9584 times)

whopper

« on: September 14, 2011, 05:57:57 PM »

Doing my head in!!, why do we sing it? What does it mean? Isn't it a robbed man city song? A lot of the young ones just sing it and they haven't got a clue LOL, can someone sensible explain are song meanings? Also the she wore a scarlet ribbon fa cup song where did that come from I like that!

markecky

Re: fans of the invisible band?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 06:00:29 PM »

It is a Man City song, it comes from the last time we went down.  It hasn't been sung this season so not sure why its caused this?

The "scarlet ribbon" song is one of the oldest Alty songs I remember. 

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 06:02:23 PM »

The she wore a scarlet ribbon one is one of my fav Alty songs as well as the "We hate Northwich Victoria, We hate Macclesfield too.... etc" Good old songs that sum up the history of Alty :)

Q Trucker with ,... "EYES RIGHT ...... " he he

whopper

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 06:14:35 PM »

So what does it actually mean?? I'm confused

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:19:15 PM »

So what does it actually mean?? I'm confused

City used to sing it when they got relegated to Division Two (League One). I presume it was a joke about them not really being in that division even though they were?

We started singing it a few years ago, although I must admit it had no real meaning to us as far as I'm aware.
Come on Alty!

RocketDan

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »

why do we sing it? What does it mean? Isn't it a robbed man city song?

To my knowledge, it originated at the Moss Rose in a league between Manchester City and Macclesfield (Saturday 12th September 1998)

From what I gather, some City fans found it impossible to believe the nadir to which they had sunk, and decided to sing about it. Refusing to accept the team was playing at Macclesfield, City fans claimed they were present merely to support an invisible team.

No idea we sing it though.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:24:10 PM by The Cult of Tony Yeboah »

whopper

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 06:47:59 PM »

It's a really bad song, and obviously city fans thought the league was tinpot so they sung it, not really appropriate to our fans lol

markecky

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »

It's a really bad song, and obviously city fans thought the league was tinpot so they sung it, not really appropriate to our fans lol

I wouldnt worry to much about it is.  This is really a non debate as it hasnt been sung this season, or even much last season really.

RocketDan

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 07:08:34 PM »

I wouldnt worry to much about it is.  This is really a non debate as it hasnt been sung this season, or even much last season really.

That said, I could be tempted to sing it at Sollihull

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 07:57:52 PM »

why do we sing it? What does it mean? Isn't it a robbed man city song?

To my knowledge, it originated at the Moss Rose in a league between Manchester City and Macclesfield (Saturday 12th September 1998)

From what I gather, some City fans found it impossible to believe the nadir to which they had sunk, and decided to sing about it. Refusing to accept the team was playing at Macclesfield, City fans claimed they were present merely to support an invisible team.

No idea we sing it though.
I believe we sung it for entirely the opposite reason at disbelief that we were playing clubs like oxford the first time we went up
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »

The she wore a scarlet ribbon one is one of my fav Alty songs as well as the "We hate Northwich Victoria, We hate Macclesfield too.... etc" Good old songs that sum up the history of Alty :) Q Trucker with ,... "EYES RIGHT ...... " he he

Ahhhhh, memories; I remember when it went "We hate Wigan Athletic, We hate Macclesfield too, We hate Northwich Victoria but The Robins, we love you!"  ::)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

joe

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 11:20:03 PM »

I thought it was invisible man,not band. The story i heard was that City fans started singing it at Wembley against Gillingham when thousands left when they were two down only to get back in for extra time and start singing were not really here,were just fans of the invisible man. No idea why Alty sing it though!

Jenga

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 11:27:09 PM »

I thought it was invisible man,not band. The story i heard was that City fans started singing it at Wembley against Gillingham when thousands left when they were two down only to get back in for extra time and start singing were not really here,were just fans of the invisible man. No idea why Alty sing it though!
my thoughts also.

A pointless Alty song imho, but hey ho.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 11:32:48 PM »

I love this kind of thing.

I've read that it was first sung at Luton in the 80s. Away fans were banned but some City fans had turned up anyway and this was the song they sang given that they weren't meant to be there.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 06:05:41 AM »

I'm with jimmy hill on this. Away fans were banned at Luton in the mid to late 80s. The city fans that sneaked in sang it and it's stuck around over the years.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team