News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dennis Fidler

Author Topic: Dennis Fidler  (Read 5744 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Dennis Fidler
« on: June 10, 2015, 07:00:11 PM »

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/former-manchester-city-footballer-dennis-9412480

Best known for his days with Macc in the late 1960s/early 1970s, however, he did also play for Alty throughout the 1971/72 Northern Premier League season.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Dennis Fidler
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 07:26:27 PM »

His brother Brian, wasn't a bad player as well.
My regards to the Fidler family.

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 07:43:46 PM »

from memory, and apologies if I've got it wrong, dennis was an old-fashioned outside-left, and brian was a goal-scoring forward. I seem to recall brian caused more problems and was considered the more dangerous player, but again I could be wrong - it was a long time ago! one thing for sure, they were both good players.

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 08:03:18 PM »

from memory, and apologies if I've got it wrong, dennis was an old-fashioned outside-left, and brian was a goal-scoring forward. I seem to recall brian caused more problems and was considered the more dangerous player, but again I could be wrong - it was a long time ago! one thing for sure, they were both good players.

Correct. However the Fidler weren't actually related.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »

He was one of those Alty-Macc merrygoround players like Merrick Corfield, Tony Broadhead, Dave Roberts and Dick Young just before the Roy Rees era. I can vaguely remember his brylcreemed head scoring vs Lancaster in a 5-2 win in that season he played for us.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »

One of the players who first caught my attention in my first ever season aged 9. Dennis and Willie Mailey were probably my first Alty heroes. RIP Dennis.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

roytonmike

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 10:07:44 PM »

I remember once seeing Dennis playing squash at the Northern Tennis Club in West Didsbury & realising probably for the first time that the people I watched on Saturday afternoons didn't actually spend their whole lives playing football. An old-fashioned left-winger who came to us for a while when the not very much lamented John Davis was manager (he had been Team Director at Macc so somebody thought he must know something about the game - in point of fact he knew little or nothing of value & got the push after we lost a Trophy 3rd Qual Rd game at Witton ...). May he rest in peace.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 12:31:05 AM »

Correct. However the Fidler weren't actually related.

Thanks for that.
I did think they were brothers, hey ho.
You are correct, Brian was the goal scorer.
As of Willie Mailey, he sadly passed away at a young age.
For a small guy, he was one hell of a keeper.
There are still some of us going who remember the Boxing Day games😀

Bonzo

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »

As said Dennis was an old style left winger. Came as replacement for Ronnie Smith who played in the same role. Sadly Dennis was past his best when he came to us, but at Macclesfield along with Brian Fidler they tourmented us many times.
Brian as centre forward was certainly more fiesty....anyone remember the scenes at Macc when Brian was sent off, and the then Alty manager Freddie Pye chucked the trainers bucket of water over him ?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 10:53:41 AM »

As said Dennis was an old style left winger. Came as replacement for Ronnie Smith who played in the same role. Sadly Dennis was past his best when he came to us, but at Macclesfield along with Brian Fidler they tourmented us many times.
Brian as centre forward was certainly more fiesty....anyone remember the scenes at Macc when Brian was sent off, and the then Alty manager Freddie Pye chucked the trainers bucket of water over him ?

He (Brian Fidler) was 'mocking'/'gloating'/'teasing' Freddie as he passed so, as our Fred said when asked afterwards about it "He was getting a bit excited so I thought I'd cool him down a bit!"

You know, it's an often-overused phrase "Laugh-out-loud funny" but (I was there) when he did it that's just what I and lots of other Alty fans did. Even quite a number of the home fans, to their credit, were struggling to keep straight faces ... before they remembered it was despicable Alty and became outraged.  :D  Another overused phrase springs to mind - you couldn't make it up.

Up there with the French kiss (a.k.a. first aid) that Ealesy gave Latchford at Goodison when diving for a penalty!  :D :o
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Dennis Fidler