PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 M*CC TOWN & N*RTHWICH VICS
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: M*CC TOWN & N*RTHWICH VICS  (Read 5845 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: M*CC TOWN & N*RTHWICH VICS
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 11:36:40 AM »

i often wonder if the macc/vics thing is age related
to me macc dont rate very highly, maybe because when i started they were a nothing club
whereas northwich was a big game
anyone?

I suspect that the pivotal point regarding whether Macc or Vics are our main rivals was the creation of the Alliance Premier League for the 1979/80 season.

During the 1960s and for most of the 1970s, Alty v Macc was always 'the big one'.

As Macc declined during the mid to late 1970s, so the rivalry faded a little.

Macc were not good enough to qualify for the APL in 1979 and it wasn't until 1987 that they gained promotion to the GM Vauxhall Conference and played us in a league fixture again.

During those early years of the Alliance Premier League, Vics effectively emerged as our main local rivals in the absence of the Milkmen.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

teasybeaver

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 12:42:14 PM »

Galloping ?

You never go to an away game on horseback?

It is particularly effective in avoiding sheep attacks! Or even worse....sheep fiddler attacks! Common in Macclesfield.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 12:45:40 PM »

i often wonder if the macc/vics thing is age related
to me macc dont rate very highly, maybe because when i started they were a nothing club
whereas northwich was a big game
anyone?

I suspect that the pivotal point regarding whether Macc or Vics are our main rivals was the creation of the Alliance Premier League for the 1979/80 season.

During the 1960s and for most of the 1970s, Alty v Macc was always 'the big one'.

As Macc declined during the mid to late 1970s, so the rivalry faded a little.

Macc were not good enough to qualify for the APL in 1979 and it wasn't until 1987 that they gained promotion to the GM Vauxhall Conference and played us in a league fixture again.

During those early years of the Alliance Premier League, Vics effectively emerged as our main local rivals in the absence of the Milkmen.

well there you go. i started going mid 70s when macc were no threat, and had left for london by 87 so missed the resurgence. i know a lot of my mates around the same age still think of northwich as the enemy rather than macc.

Jezza

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 04:59:09 PM »

Northwich had the voodoo sign on us in those early APL days while we simply always beat macc.

How times change!

thegazelle

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 05:43:11 PM »

Indeed my top loathing spot is reserved for Northwich

jim's analysis is probably correct as macc were in freefall in the late seventies and didnt figure in my formative years as rivals (other than one kicking  in 1979).
it felt like Northwich beat us every time we played and a real hatred built up for that generation of fans, they even spoilt our championship winning party by beating us in the league cup final. some will remember the invasion of Northwich that night a massive alty following took over the drill field and when they went to present the cup to vics their cheers were drowned out by the alty fans singing we won the league.

Slob always had a superb game and often singlehandedly beat us saving penalties and evrything we could throw at them for a decade. i hated him at the time but maturity leads me to admire him i would even shake his hand if i bumped into him.
The abilty to hate vics and also to be able to pass that on at the game was probably a bullying thing as i recall northwich as about the only ground it felt safe to go to in the dark and dangerous days of life before prearranged football violence and stone island jackets, when it was fairgame to attack anyone from the opposition fans. Alty fans were able to wander around the drill field whilst displaying club colours in the open (probably one scarf around the neck tied like a tie and one on each wrist (Oh how i cringe at the thpought of it) starting to ramble again but oh what memories

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 05:59:11 PM »

Mr Gazelle,

Dave Ryan, a thoroughly decent guy despite his footballing 'pedigree???' is employed as a coach at Manchester United and manages Curzon Ashton Ladies.

I have met up with him on numerous occasions with his Curzon hat on and he is always polite and, as I say, thoroughly decent. I am led to believe that he harboured ambitions to play for Alty once

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 08:27:42 PM »

Mr Gazelle,

Dave Ryan, a thoroughly decent guy despite his footballing 'pedigree???' is employed as a coach at Manchester United and manages Curzon Ashton Ladies.

I have met up with him on numerous occasions with his Curzon hat on and he is always polite and, as I say, thoroughly decent. I am led to believe that he harboured ambitions to play for Alty once

Dave Ryan DID play for Alty on one occasion in a pre-season friendly during the 1980s.

I'd need to delve into my archives to pinpoint the exact date....but it did happen!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

York Alty

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 09:04:35 PM »

The Slob...playing for Alty?  As Ian Paisley would say "no no no".

I would love to be proven wrong, i can join the other pile of really useful facts in ma heed.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 12:15:51 AM »

Thanks Mr Cult,

I thought he had, in fact he said he had, but I didn't want to (a) give credance to the word of an ex Vic's player (no matter how nice a guy) or (b) make myself look a pillock when you and Mr Flynn know everything and would have corrected me.

Jezza

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 08:57:30 AM »

Dave Ryan took the biggest amount of stick from the Golf Rd with an even bigger smile on his face.

Looking back with maturity I harbour a feeling he was almost playing a part in a panto and loved it as much as we did.

What a character that the game is sadly lacking these days.

Wonder if the Gazelle would shake Jeff Forshawes hand?

mitchymoo

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 09:38:25 AM »

I agree with a few on here, its definately West Bromwich Albion for me. Cant stand them and the rivalry over the years just proves what i have been saying  >:(

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 10:02:30 PM »

The Slob...playing for Alty?  As Ian Paisley would say "no no no".

I would love to be proven wrong, i can join the other pile of really useful facts in ma heed.

Especially for York Alty & Alty Tunnel Steward:

I think that I have identified the friendly match in which Dave Ryan played for Alty....

Tuesday, 7th August 1990
Altrincham...1   Bury...1

A fact to amaze your friends with....

markecky

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 09:20:40 AM »

I agree with a few on here, its definately West Bromwich Albion for me. Cant stand them and the rivalry over the years just proves what i have been saying  >:(

Keep doing it, you'll get a laugh eventually.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 M*CC TOWN & N*RTHWICH VICS