PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 M*CC TOWN & N*RTHWICH VICS
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: M*CC TOWN & N*RTHWICH VICS  (Read 5843 times)

Longman

« on: November 12, 2007, 11:55:03 AM »

Obviously we hate these two clubs as our natural Cheshire rivals, however what else does everyone consider as "big games" for Alty?  I was reading that Oxford is a big one, is this purely because they are a big club in terms of their support and league history etc?

Alex

Re: M*CC TOWN & N*RTHWICH VICS
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 12:00:15 PM »

Forest green was last year for obvious reasons not so sure about this year, naturally clubs who are big names like oxford, torquay, etc but when you consider our league positon you would have to say that this years games against farsley starting with the away tie on the 20th. but for me personally big games for me are ones against local teams in and around the manchester/west yorkshire area.

baldrick

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 12:09:09 PM »

I buy supplies for my business in Bollington. One of the warehouse staff is a Macclesfield supporter. He says he couldn't care less about Northwich. He hates Altrincham and strongly dislikes Leeds/Manchester United/Liverpool and Celtic. I can't really say i hate any non league clubs. But if i had to pick one it would be Oxford.

markecky

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 12:15:04 PM »

I agree.  Macc and Northwich are the big ones.

I to hate Forest Greeen for the actions of their secretary in Robinsongate (despite his bleating denials).

And I'm not a big fan of clubs who bring 10 fans and always beat us.  You can fill in a few there.

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 12:18:12 PM »

There is nothing that gets the juices flowing like a game Vs Macc or Northwich.

It's always nice to get one over on Dave Pace and Droylsden because he's wound us up so much over the few years Droyslden haven't been a sunday league side...it's not the same as a proper local derby.......more a case of not wanting to give them the satisfaction of even getting a point of us.

FGR is a nice one to rub their faces in it.

But like with Droylsden, FGR will drop back maybe into even oblivion or their natural level sooner or later once they've woken up from their fairy dream of being a club capable of sustaining football league.

The rest of the games in this league are just a nice occasion to pit our wits against against full time big club opposition you can respect (York, Torquay, Oxford etc) or a painful excercise in going to some jumped up sh*thole like Histon Farsley and gettng beat normally coz they've got more money than us.

bighairedmike

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 02:36:57 PM »

Definately not rivals and definately dont hate them but york is always a big game for me. More often that not we get beat but they have a nice set of fans and are a decent club. Not much use but there yo go.

louise1925

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 03:18:56 PM »

I think it's difficult to regard Macc as a rival, because we just don't play them anymore! Many of our younger fans have never even seen Macc play. I don't hate Vics at all, though I see them as our main rivals. They are a similar-sized club and I look forward to our full-bloodied encounters. Like somebody said above, it's nice to put one over on Pacey and obviously it's always a pleasure to get a result out of FGR/Tammy. But, it's the Vics match we all live for...surely?

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 03:21:52 PM »

I don't hate Vics at all,????????????

I hereby make a citizens arrest and charge you with high treason!

louise1925

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 03:36:37 PM »

I know there's a lot of tongue-in-cheek here but, I can't find it in me to hate fans of any REAL NL clubs. I turn my nose up at so-called United fans who have never been to a match in their lives. I dislike people who turn their noses up clubs like Alty, because they are small. Vics is just a great occasion as we found last season. Sorry, possess no hatred whatsoever of them. Even Pacey and Peaky were well behaved this year. Maybe, I'm just mellowing.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 03:48:31 PM »

Macc and Vics are the 2 main rivals.

Vics, I obviously don't like as our rivals but they are the traditional rivals for me and I really look forward to our meetings. Macc, the edge is stronger there and I dislike them, never enjoyed a trip there like I do to Vics.

Droylsden, good not to get beat by them as it winds Pacey up but I'm less bothered now since Pace has calmed down a bit.

FGR, not rivals at all, don't necessarily dislike them as a club especially but did not enjoy Colin Peakes conduct re Robinsongate whatever he bleats about now.

Runcorn are no more which is a shame, never been bothered about Witton at all. Spose our rivals are in the song. Northwich Vics, Macc, Chorley/Witton (controversy when they sneaked in) and Runcorn. Altho I sometimes think Chorley sneaked in only cos they rhymed.

I genuinely can't think of anyone else, our conference rivals of yesteryear appear to have dispersed to various parts of the non league ladder.

Still, if the worst comes to the worst this season at least ConfNorf won't be as hellish as the Unibond was containing likely as it will Alty, Vics, Southport, Stalybride, Hyde, Witton, Stafford, Barrow, Droylsden.  :(
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 03:56:04 PM by Ballers »

Butty

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 08:29:45 PM »

to be honest with you, and referring to the actual question as opposed to who our rivals are, every game is a big game for alty

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 08:46:53 AM »

For me, any game in the Cheshire Senior Cup is a big one

teasybeaver

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 10:19:36 AM »

I like any game in the local area, its good to feel we are the biggest non-league team in the North-West. Stalybridge, Droylsden, Witton, Runcorn etc etc, all teams that we have to win against, I always think these teams raise their game a bit for alty.

Nothing beats Vics and Macc though. Its just the best thing in the world to beat those two. Macc are definitely the big ones, we're so close to playing them again its killing me. Vics as well, for me the biggest games are going away to these two. Taking something off them and galloping victoriously back to alty is the best thing in the world!!!

DarrenH

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 10:39:13 AM »

Galloping ?

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 10:59:01 AM »

i often wonder if the macc/vics thing is age related
to me macc dont rate very highly, maybe because when i started they were a nothing club
whereas northwich was a big game
anyone?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team