PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Goalkeeping situation...
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goalkeeping situation...  (Read 4059 times)

Nonleaguer

Goalkeeping situation...
« on: August 31, 2009, 11:28:25 PM »

Having seen the away match at Kidderminster and today's match at home to Altrincham, I feel that Saunders should be given an opportunity. Ideally at Kidderminster when we were already 2-0 down at half time it may have been worth bringing him on to challenge for the No.1 jersey.Once again today a goalkeeping fault cost us two points.

It's time for the younger lad to get an outing or is the position untouchable?

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
Re: Goalkeeping situation...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 12:33:54 AM »

I agree think stu was at fault for the goal , he seems to have developed the habit of coming out to edge of his area when a defender has it covered,  but in his defence he made a couple of really good stops.  in pre season Saunders looked capable so it might be worth giving him  his chance

fuertes

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 08:15:42 AM »

Stu made two excellent saves, one in each half, as well as being at fault for the goal. I never feel confident when crosses come in and there are bodies in the box. The number of times he flaps or only gets a weak punch on it is a concern.

Not sure whether Saunders should get a game. I could understand GH changing it or leaving it, but it's something worth considering.

markecky

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 08:30:31 AM »

Stuart may have mis punched the ball for the goal but he caught another ten and made some good saves, including one wonder save in the second half.

As for subbing him at halftime at Kidderminster, its pretty much unheard of for any manger to sub an uninjured keeper.

People are now watching for his mistakes.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:47:03 AM »

Without Coburn yesterday we would have lost at least 3-1
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

joe

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 09:46:34 AM »

Without Coburn yesterday we would have lost at least 3-1

Why? We may have won one nil. Just because Coburn pulled off a few saves doesn't mean Saunders wouldn't have stopped them too.

Jenga

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 12:23:49 PM »

I despair at this thread I really do.

So lets get it straight, whos fault was it that we only drew yesterday.

Coburn
Johnson
Loan Players
GH
Doughty
The back 4
The Midfield
The Forwards.

Get a grip of yourselves people, jeez we are doing ok stop looking for problems that dont really exist.

An outfield player makes a mistake it is a case of bugger, well not to worry there are another 10 who can get the ball back. Goalkeeper makes a mistake (if indeed he did as I couldnt see up the other end of the pitch clearly) it is often a goal.

GET A GRIP OF REALITY - WE ARE DOING OK 11 POINTS FROM 7 GAMES.

fuertes

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 12:37:43 PM »

I despair at this thread I really do.

Coburn
Johnson
Loan Players
GH
Doughty
The back 4
The Midfield
The Forwards.

Get a grip of yourselves people, jeez we are doing ok stop looking for problems that dont really exist.

An outfield player makes a mistake it is a case of bugger, well not to worry there are another 10 who can get the ball back. Goalkeeper makes a mistake (if indeed he did as I couldnt see up the other end of the pitch clearly) it is often a goal.

GET A GRIP OF REALITY - WE ARE DOING OK 11 POINTS FROM 7 GAMES.

I don't think anyone is knocking Stu. They're just pointing out that he was at fault for the goal, and it is exactly that kind of situation where he is occasionally found out. I still rate him a good keeper, he made good saves in this game too, but with the pre-season reviews of Saunders ranging from quite positive to gushing, it might be worth giving him a go.

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 12:46:07 PM »

I do like reports of gushing I have to say.

I hope no one is knocking him, personally I thought Stu had a good game yesterday.

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 12:58:54 PM »

Dunno how, considering they're gone, but its probably traceable back to the stoppers

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »

unbelievable, Stuart was excellent in the 2nd half vs chester, a save from what looked like on the line scooped out from behind him, a certain goal.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 01:31:20 PM »

Stu has been amazing for us over the 442 games he has played for us. He is certainly a lot better than some of the keepers we have had in the past (Dibble, Dickins). Like any keeper he has made a couple mistakes, like a previous post mentioned if a keeper makes a mistake it usually ends in a goal, when another player makes a mistake their are another 10 who can make up for it.

Against chester stu make some fantastic saves. maybe saunders would have done the same, however with little match practice opportunity it is going to be hard for saunders to force his way into the team.

Chester are not an awful team, we played similar footy to last year. Maybe we are expecting too much from the first four games.

taxi Phil

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 08:31:12 PM »

Stu makes errors. EVERY keeper makes errors. But his ratio of errors to quality keeping remains acceptable - except when his injury problems resurface. Whilst dropping him for Saunders isn't really an option, we do have to keep Saunders both match fit and interested, which isn't easy with no second string. A loan spell lower down the pyramid maybe ?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »

Actually, looking at Gavin's pictures the reason why Stuart didn't get a clean punch on it for their goal is Robbie Williams grabbed his arm down at precisely the wrong moment!

Jezza

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 10:22:25 PM »

Stuart Coburn is God.

May lightning bolts send down a plague of locusts on your house.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Goalkeeping situation...