PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Taking your Mrs to Alty.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Taking your Mrs to Alty.  (Read 8946 times)

RocketDan

Taking your Mrs to Alty.
« on: August 24, 2012, 12:25:48 AM »

Understandably, most women have no interest in football. As such, I am unaware of the correct etiquette when bringing a wife / girlfriend to watch football at Moss Lane.

What is the best way to bridge the gap? Is it appropriate to seduce a lady with Jagerbombs and a Chicken balti pie?

I would be interested to hear any tales regarding your first experience of "taking your Mrs to Alty" - or, on a lighter note, how you and your partner fell in love over your interest in Alty.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:32:49 AM by The Golf Road Grumbler »

Hamilton

Re: Taking your Mrs to Alty.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 12:35:31 AM »

Understandably, most women have no interest in football. As such, I am unaware of the correct etiquette when bringing a wife / girlfriend to watch football at Moss Lane.

What is the best way to bridge the gap? Is it appropriate to seduce a lady with Jagerbombs and a Chicken balti pie?

I would be interested to hear any tales regarding your first experience of "taking your Mrs to Alty" - or, on a lighter note, how you and your partner fell in love over your interest in Alty.

I always found a pie n tea before the match then hot dog n tea at half time always did the trick!

York Alty

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »

Firstly - great topic.  I wonder if any Alty ladies drag their blokes along?

My late Good Lady Wife had no real interest in footy but went along with me to a few games each season.  She loved the 'nice' away games...the overnight B&Bs in Bath for example.  She was also quite happy to go to Spurs (second time) and big cup games at Moss Lane. There is no way she'd go over to Alty on a cold Tuesday to watch us play Blyth or even York but on a reasonable Saturday she'd pop over with me. She was most definitely a part time supporter. She went because I went really.

As Alty started to struggle more there was a time when we lost every game she went to, so I did ban her!

However, over a relationship of 17 odd years she knew how important Alty FC are to me, so when we knew her time was coming to a rapidly premature end she was concerned that I'd not be able to go very often in future (very true) but she she knew that Altrincham FC was something special to me. She saw footy and Altrincham FC as good for me.

These days I know more single mothers than single fathers, and many of those ladies complain (bitterly) about being 'football widows', they always seemed to come second to the then husband.  That's not right, my Good Lady Wife rarely came second to football.  Bill Shankly was wrong - football is not more important than life and death.

If i were starting off with a new possible Mrs. York Alty she'd have to know how much Alty FC has done for me over the years / how important the club is to me. It's part of me, like my smelly feet, in growing toe nails and sense of humour.

If you want to have your Chicken Balti pie and a lady in tow it's certainly possible but you have to be clear from the very start. If you have the cash, pick out a couple of decent away games - Oxford stands out to me - and combine the footy with a weekend away.  Conversely if want to kick a lady into touch I suggest the weekend in Droylsden...

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:02:14 AM »

My missis hates footy she refused to watch me play for yrs and refuses to go to alty

She also hates motd as well

She also hates it when i watch the highlights of alty

She is also less than pleased that i will have my second alty tatoo in 3 weeks

On the other hand i love it :)
ParkINson's red and white army

NorthernMonkey

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:36:13 AM »

Just after you've had the chat about whether bringing another woman into the bedroom could spice up your relationship you hit her with the football whammy.

You need to time these things carefully and think about their feelings; sometimes they don't go down that well.

taxi Phil

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 08:44:12 AM »

Just after you've had the chat about whether bringing another woman into the bedroom could spice up your relationship you hit her with the football whammy.

You need to time these things carefully and think about their feelings; sometimes they don't go down that well.
It is more important that a woman goes down well.........

Hamilton

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 09:21:18 AM »

Firstly - great topic.  I wonder if any Alty ladies drag their blokes along?

My late Good Lady Wife had no real interest in footy but went along with me to a few games each season.  She loved the 'nice' away games...the overnight B&Bs in Bath for example.  She was also quite happy to go to Spurs (second time) and big cup games at Moss Lane. There is no way she'd go over to Alty on a cold Tuesday to watch us play Blyth or even York but on a reasonable Saturday she'd pop over with me. She was most definitely a part time supporter. She went because I went really.

As Alty started to struggle more there was a time when we lost every game she went to, so I did ban her!

However, over a relationship of 17 odd years she knew how important Alty FC are to me, so when we knew her time was coming to a rapidly premature end she was concerned that I'd not be able to go very often in future (very true) but she she knew that Altrincham FC was something special to me. She saw footy and Altrincham FC as good for me.

These days I know more single mothers than single fathers, and many of those ladies complain (bitterly) about being 'football widows', they always seemed to come second to the then husband.  That's not right, my Good Lady Wife rarely came second to football.  Bill Shankly was wrong - football is not more important than life and death.

If i were starting off with a new possible Mrs. York Alty she'd have to know how much Alty FC has done for me over the years / how important the club is to me. It's part of me, like my smelly feet, in growing toe nails and sense of humour.

If you want to have your Chicken Balti pie and a lady in tow it's certainly possible but you have to be clear from the very start. If you have the cash, pick out a couple of decent away games - Oxford stands out to me - and combine the footy with a weekend away.  Conversely if want to kick a lady into touch I suggest the weekend in Droylsden...

This

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 09:45:35 AM »

From the female perspective... I was first taken to watch Alty in a PSF against a United XI (the one that was abandoned late doors I think, there was a pitch invasion or something). I was VERY nervous at being unveiled as the new girlfriend to the other half's "football mates". I need'nt have worried, everyone was (and is) lovely.

I went along with no real preconceptions and I really enjoyed it and thought it was a great atmosphere. So I went along to a few other games that season and got hooked (on Alty, the people and of course the fella who is now my husband).

Now in my 5th season (4th as a ST holder).

What I really love about Alty is that everyone is made to feel so welcome, whether you've watched them for 30 years or its your first game.

fuertes

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 10:10:30 AM »

My missus has been to quite a few games and whilst I don't think she'd ever be of a mind to go every week, she enjoys it when she does. She even tells people she's an Alty fan now, despite being from Norfolk. She also sees Moss Lane as the more down to earth side of the town. Certainly in comparison to one of her first visits drinking wine in Hale Village  ;D

She hasn't been for a while with us having moved away. But she seems keen to come along to Oxford City (A) in a couple of weeks.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »

Can't imagine anything worse tbh.

I wouldn't go to the cinema with someone who doesn't like films, so can't really see why anyone would want to watch low quality football with someone who doesn't like football.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

NorthernMonkey

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 10:22:03 AM »

Yeah, I'm as keen on Desperate Gypsies in Essex and my good lady is on footy. Dragged her to a few England games over the years and if she can't get up for England v Brazil (and David Bloody Beckham  ::) ) at Wembley then then it's a lost cause, I'm afraid.

Working on the lad now - took him to his first game on Saturday - as mentioned above, there's not a more welcoming family club out there.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 10:39:16 AM »

I took my mum once, she missed 3 pens at half time. Disgraceful.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

joe

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 11:29:38 AM »

An ex girlfriend kept mithering me about coming to watch Alty with me. I didnt really want her tagging along every week so I took her to Boston away when it got a tad nasty and Leroy was getting racially abused. Needless to say she never wanted to come again! Job done ;D

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 11:43:19 AM »

An ex girlfriend kept mithering me about coming to watch Alty with me. I didnt really want her tagging along every week so I took her to Boston away when it got a tad nasty and Leroy was getting racially abused. Needless to say she never wanted to come again! Job done ;D

That was the Trophy game back in 1999 wasnt it?  Went to that game myself, not a good day at the Office for anyone connected with the club

whopper

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »

Started bringing mine 4 years ago now she even plays upfront for alty ladies and has seen more games than me already this season........ :o
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Taking your Mrs to Alty.