PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Players staying!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Players staying!  (Read 14107 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Players staying!
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2011, 06:13:29 PM »

With respect to Rob Williams' talents it may well be that BSN is more suited to him than BSBP

There seemed to me to be no real issue when he was required to do what old fashioned centre halves were expected to do (head it and kick it) It seemed however that if he was required to demonstrate any form of creative distribution, that was where the problem occurred

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 06:37:33 PM »

I'm pleasantly surprised too, especially with Clee and Densmore both of whom would get into most BSP first teams IMO. The others signed up are all reliable and steady and we know what we will be getting.  Really hope Damian signs, not too bothered about Smithy agree with all the comments below, good player with less good attitude.

The one player who I really hope stays is Robbie Williams. I know he struggled at times last year, but with an Ex CB as manager to guide him and a full pre-season, and his undoubted physical ability and attributes, (and he is a really genuine lad) I think he could be a real asset next year. When he was at TNS his passing was fine, he lost a lot of confidence last year and he didnt really have a steady back four either, I know for a fact that he found all the constant changes difficult, as good defence is all about organisiation and consistency. By the way he lives in Eccles NOT Fylde as someone has said. He did have some cracking games last year as well, but people forget them.

Please stay Robbie, just ignore these fans who cant see your potential and show us just how good you can be next season :D

Well...you soon found a new defensive hero now that your beloved Joseph has exited from Moss Lane!
If those two were so accomplished at the back, I can't for the life of me think how we managed to concede 87 league goals last season....

The defensive performance of a team starts at the front I'm told, includes the midfield and, oh yes the defence which consists of 4 (or in Alty's case 5 players often), and GK. The point I was making when Joseph was being torn to shreds on here (never claimed he was my beloved hero)  is that Joseph wasnt as bad later in the season as he was at the beginning. Indeed, he had some very good games towards the end in a poor team that couldnt score goals and the defence spent 80 mins of every game defending the Alamo,... only 47 goals I think, second lowest in the whole league.

If Twiss had scored a few more I'm sure you would be singing his praises by now :P,.....having said that I cant recall the last time you sung anyone's praises ;) I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Sorry, Ian, but I couldn't resist provoking you about last season's defensive problems!

I accept that the blame for last season's defensive inadequacies shouldn't rest solely on Messrs. Joseph and Williams but, having said that, they did play 38 and 44 league games respectively and, as such, must bear a fair degree of responsibility for the alarmingly porous nature of our defence during the 2010/11 campaign.

Personally, I'd be quite content to see us field a completely new back four in front of Coburn next season.

I confess to being a confirmed curmudgeon who rarely sings anyone's praises, however, I do believe it's been alleged that I did utter something vaguely complimentary about a Barry Howard goal back in 1981.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jacko

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »

here we go...now this may be the most provocative thing ever said but....

if coburn would have been in goal against eastboune at home we would have won the game :o

and thats purely based on his quality at one and ones and shot stopping.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 06:47:24 PM by Snowcod »

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2011, 05:56:19 AM »

If your Aunty had Balls would she be your uncle?
Harold

Jacko

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2011, 08:26:15 AM »

If your Aunty had Balls would she be your uncle?
depends if they were real or not

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »

Must admit I am slightly alarmed at the Guisley managers claim that he is talking to a striker from Altrincham after losing his 32 goal centre forward to Darlington. Bit indiscreet this statement, isnt it?

Could this be why Damien is stalling?

If it is, come on Damien, you could still be playing for a big club. You are wanted by both fans and manager and I am sure our remaining players, the grass is always greener on the other side mate.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »

Doesn't damiam live neer leeeds or west yorkshire ?

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2011, 11:54:01 AM »

Born in Donny.

Less than 50 miles to Guiseley.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »

Whilst I admit that Smithy's  head did not seem to be in the right place at times last year, especially after being refused the chance to go back full time with Stockport, I think he has been our stand out defender for the last two years.

I am not suprised he was miffed about always being the one played out of position at full back whilst we had two lesser players occupying his favoured position at  centre back.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Players staying!