Author Topic: WTF?  (Read 2398 times)

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
WTF?
« on: May 27, 2007, 01:59:20 PM »

http://www.stevenageborofc.com/index_news_det.php?news_id=257&

TIME FOR A CHANGE OF NAME? 

Stevenage Borough are set to throw their doors open to fans for their opinion on a change of name prior to the Conference AGM on 9 June. Chairman Phil Wallace said "The first reaction of anyone is leave things alone. However, from a marketing and club image viewpoint we have to consider these options. It's not something we would do without seeking the views of our fans but many of us inside the Club have felt for a long time that the name 'Borough' conjures up images of a small part of a town or city, rather than a powerful brand name of a thriving town." He continued "In this day of media penetration, branding is everything and our games will soon be broadcast to scores of overseas countries via the new TV deal. We've just had a fantastic win in the FA Trophy, people are hitting our website every day to find out more about us, so if ever there was a time for dynamic change, this is it. I'm not talking about anything radical - perhaps a simple change to Stevenage FC, or Stevenage Boro FC which a few of us like - or even back to the names of the past like Stevenage Town FC or Stevenage Athletic FC. A fresh start with Stevenage United FC is another possibility. There are options there if we want to take them - but we will seek as many views as possible, perhaps with an Internet poll, before we decide whether or not it's a viable option. We have to see what the fans want as we plan for the future"   
Posted By: sbfc 
Posted On: 27/05/2007 
@AltyDaz

Jenga

Re: WTF?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 08:50:58 AM »

OMG, what is this change of name crap.

Ebbsfleet - LMAO tinpot.
Stevage United FC, Stevenage Town FC, come on FFS your Stevenage Borough, if anything it has to be Stevenage FC.

bighairedmike

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 10:26:37 AM »

What about Stevenage Boro? lol. its basically the same, so they might as well keep it as it is.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:31:38 AM »

I think if they want to fall in line with the "insolvency craze" in the Conference they should change their name to Stevenage "Borrow".

I'll get me coat...... :o

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 09:54:42 AM »

If we changed our name to Altrincham Town and changed our ground name to Moss Rose....

...do you think the MEN would actually get it right?

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 05:47:54 PM »

How about taking someone else's name more popular than you are........

Like Arsenal

or Man Utd...........(been done already)

I doubt very much if international awareness of the Stevenage football brand will ever have much to do with its name...
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 WTF?