News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Reflections and thought for the future

Author Topic: Reflections and thought for the future  (Read 3666 times)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: April 29, 2007, 02:10:30 PM »

Well, after all is said and done we are down and I don't think that the AGM will save us this year.

I think going into the last few matches without Chris Senior and Joe O'Neill didn't help matters but overall after 46 games we weren't good enough. Not winning an away league game until March didn't help and after that great run in March, our end to the season, much like last year was very poor.

As for the players, I realistically think most of them will still be here next season. Thornley, Coburn, Scott, Little, Band, Peyton etc have all played for us for a while now and other than Chalmers we haven't got in our regular starting XI what you might call any promising youngsters that other clubs would want to snap up. It should be easier to bring on people from the reserves now as well without the constant pressure of Conference National so maybe some of our own youngsters coming through. Don't know if Talbs, Bushell and Owen will stay on, I don't think Bushell would be the right type of player for Conference North certainly, though Val's experience could prove invauluable. As for Management, GH and DS have swum against the tide for 2 years but they know better than anyone what is required in Conference North and I don't think there is any question that they will be in charge for the 2007-08 season. I think Joe O'Neill may get a few more next season but another striker and a creative midfielder would be nice, as would a left back, even though Peyton has been superb all year out of position.

I'd hope our crowds are a bit above the traditional Conference North/Unibond level of 650 as we've definitely gained a few hundred new supporters over the last 2 years, whether they are floaters or hardcore remains to be seen. I'd hope we could aim for 800 average at least (the new community links should help with this) The 2000 yesterday and the 300 who went to Tamworth last Saturday shows that the support is there in the town.

A bit of a bugger for us Southern exiles but actually seeing us win the odd game comfortably without nerves shredded to pieces for 90 minutes will be good. A few new grounds to visit too. It will be tough with Tamworth and Southport also looking to bounce back but on and off the pitch (great news about Geoff deciding to stay on) I'd say we will be in good shape to challenge come August.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Reflections and thought for the future
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 02:29:28 PM »

i presune you are talking about gary scott rather than andy .i also think bushell will stay.

Bath Alty

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 02:30:40 PM »

It was great to be at Moss lane for the first time in years after watching away games for recent seasons (less of those next year :( ).  The second half was just like Tamworth second half.  So many chances but it just wasn't going to go in.  I think the ref was pretty good yesterday (other than timekeeping) the strongest penalty appeal all afternoon was when Karl clipped their winger in the first half

Don't feel quite as gutted as I thougt I would, and Geoff staying has lessoned the pain.  

The long drive back was pretty grim though.  Rod Stewart "waltzing Matilda" song on the radio didn't help.  Got the depressing thing on the brain now so had to come up with more up beat version!

"We'll play in Premier, We'll play in Premier
We will be playing in Premier again
With Heathcote in charge
of the Aaaaltrincham Football club
we will be playing in Premier again

Playing at Oxford, Drinking with Grays fans
We will be playing in Premier again
with Goodwin in charge
of the Aaaaaltrincham Football club
we WILL be playing in Premier again"

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 04:37:31 PM »

Will we be playing Tamworth next season?Southport and ourselves will be in con north,butwill not Tamworth be in Con South,otherwise thats 2 up from con north and 3 down into con north
Harold

Bath Alty

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 04:41:35 PM »

Tamworth are further north than Nuneaton and Worcester.

Moor Green have gone bump and so there is a space in Conf North.  The demise of Morr Green may therefore save someone in Conf South from relegation.  The other option is to save someone in Conf north from relegation and chuck either Worcester, Nuneaton or someone else into Conf South to make space in CN for Tamworth.  Their has to be scope in the rules for that sort of switching about but I don't know which way it would go.

bighairedmike

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 04:42:12 PM »

i thought that myself. what would happen if, next season for example, 4 southern teams were to be relegated?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 04:47:44 PM by bighairedmike »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 04:53:19 PM »

I thought Moor Greeen would compete in next season's Conf North as Solihull Moors?

This would mean if Tamworth come into this league, the southernmost team moves to the Conf South.

I think!  ???
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Altysmiffy

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 05:10:50 PM »

Maybe, for no rationel, intelligent or sensible reason whatsoever, Moor Green going kaput will allow Alty to stay in the Conference!

Or am I clutching at straws?

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 05:11:02 PM »

Why dont the make it easy for themselves and let us stay up LOL.BHMike i have thought on the same lines myself .
Harold

bighairedmike

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 06:35:53 PM »

we were having this discussion yestaday afternoon (during half time) / yesterday evening. still dont know what will happen.

Altyant

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 07:26:33 PM »

Maybe, for no rationel, intelligent or sensible reason whatsoever, Moor Green going kaput will allow Alty to stay in the Conference!

Or am I clutching at straws?

They havent - they will play in Conf North as Solihul Moors

radcliffe alty

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 07:29:45 PM »

Posted this elsewhere but sits better here:

I personally think next season could see the real emergence of Pat McFadden. Although it's a tough, physical league this could be the time to really blood him alongside Colin, his pace and trickery could reap dividends at this lower level.

I would be surprised if we don't keep the nucleus of this squad, and as long as the fire is still in their bellies as it has been for most of this season, there is no reason why we can't have a successful season. I don't think we have the squad size to win it, but playoffs is realistic.

Cup run anyone?

lukealty12

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 07:35:40 PM »

What about lugsden is he coming back?

and i agree with you about pat.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 07:42:40 PM »

we have a load of strikers little , thornley , oneill and pat who should score at conf north level.as well as chris senior who hasnt said he wont be coming back apparently.also the likes of ben deegan and astley mullholand from reserves. also a guy from timperley called scott metcalfe is pretty useful
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team