News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Improvement

Author Topic: Improvement  (Read 6181 times)

Jimmy

Improvement
« on: August 15, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »

We keep on being told that we keep on improving each year team wise from the week we got promoted we have lost a 30 goal a season forward and gained nothing

eightiesrobin

Re: Improvement
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 09:45:45 PM »

Yes, I agree. The squad now is arguably weaker than that which won promotion.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 11:00:05 PM »

The manager's hope for 20/20 goals conceded/scored is already looking like it will be reviewed. Really hope to see a couple more players come in before the deadline.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »

The manager's hope for 20/20 goals conceded/scored is already looking like it will be reviewed. Really hope to see a couple more players come in before the deadline.

To achieve a goal difference 'swing' of 40 goals from one season to the next is a mighty ambitious target to aim for - on the face of it though, it is only an improvement of less than one goal per game.

However for the target to become achievable; the team also needs to improve, either personnel wise or by being better players than before, by being more organised or just by taking more chances / cutting out more of the oppositions chances. Time will tell if the team can make such improvements.

What would be interesting is to find examples of where this has been done - Crawley achieved a 61 goal improvement in 2011....but we all know how and this is not a good example
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:41:29 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

eightiesrobin

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 10:08:26 PM »

Since the midwinter purple patch ended with the win over Aldershot on Feb 7th, the team's record stands thus:

Played 17
Won 3
Drawn 3
Lost 11

Goals scored 14 (!)
Goals conceded 28

Jenga

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 12:34:32 PM »

Since the midwinter purple patch ended with the win over Aldershot on Feb 7th, the team's record stands thus:

Played 17
Won 3
Drawn 3
Lost 11

Goals scored 14 (!)
Goals conceded 28

That is quite enlightening and also very worrying.

eightiesrobin

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 12:40:48 PM »

It is bad - Halifax's current run is equally bad:

Played 16
Won 1
Drawn 7
Lost 8

Goals scored 13
Goals conceded 25

October 6th could be a thriller!

eightiesrobin

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 12:52:48 PM »

Nuneaton's last 18 games in the 14/15 National:

Won 3
Drawn 5
Lost 10

For 11
Against 22

Dartford's last 16 games in the 14/15 national:

Won 3
Drew 6
Lost 7

For 14
Against 21

Alfreton last 16 in the 14/15 National:

Won 4
Drew 6
Lost 6

For 18
Against 29

Telford's last 16 in the 14/15 national:

Won 5
Drew 2
Lost 9

For 17
Against 21

Prize for the first person to say what the above 4 teams have in common.

If what we see is improvement, I would hate to see deterioration.

This isn't meant to be a deliberately negative post, it's more to demonstrate just how parlous the situation is.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:54:28 PM by eightiesrobin »

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 01:27:05 PM »

Saturday was my first game of this season, but from the people I spoke to it does seem to have been an improvement over both FGR and Guiseley performances.

Whilst we were certainly second best, and a point for us would have been a travesty, I did detect some positive signs from the performance.

Rankine put in a good shift, Bowerman showed some nice touches and Marshall was as good as Mal Bailey in his pomp in the air.  Richman played as much of an attacking role as I have ever seen him and was unlucky not to score.  Sinnott I thought played well in centre mid and delivered a number of excellent corners.  Clee, whilst not fully match fit was able to torment weary defenders when he came on.

Bowerman did not give adequate cover to Griffin however, and Lawrie was anonymous for most of the game.  Having Marshall on a yellow for 50 minutes and both centre backs for the last 20 was nerve racking - I envisaged a red for one of them and then a back four missing two centre backs for Grimsby.  Luckily this did not come to pass.

But on the whole, this performance was not too different to last seasons showing at Woking - we got the ball down and moved it very well, and were unlucky not to score.  Whilst it is difficult to imagine getting anything from Grimsby, it is not completely out of the question.

In terms of squad strength it is my contention that Rankine + Bowerman > Gillespie + Perry, and that it is just too early to tell the strength of the (O'Keefe or Griffith) vs (Williams or Wilkinson).

On the other hand we could easily lose our first 6 games - but I will be at Dover next Saturday to see the next (but one) instalment.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »

Played 17
Won 3
Drawn 3
Lost 11

Goals scored 14 (!)
Goals conceded 28

Remember that for a large part of this period we lost Densmore, which certainly contributed to the end of season downfall.

After the first 3 games last season, we had conceded 6 goals. 3 games in this season, we have conceded 4 goals. The concern without question is we need to put our chances away. If Reeves puts away those 2 early chances against FGR and Guiseley, we could had been looking at 6 points rather than 0. As LS says in his NLP interview, we need one to go off someones backside to get going.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Jimmy

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 02:01:36 PM »

Saturday was my first game of this season, but from the people I spoke to it does seem to have been an improvement over both FGR and Guiseley performances.

Whilst we were certainly second best, and a point for us would have been a travesty, I did detect some positive signs from the performance.

Rankine put in a good shift, Bowerman showed some nice touches and Marshall was as good as Mal Bailey in his pomp in the air.  Richman played as much of an attacking role as I have ever seen him and was unlucky not to score.  Sinnott I thought played well in centre mid and delivered a number of excellent corners.  Clee, whilst not fully match fit was able to torment weary defenders when he came on.

Bowerman did not give adequate cover to Griffin however, and Lawrie was anonymous for most of the game.  Having Marshall on a yellow for 50 minutes and both centre backs for the last 20 was nerve racking - I envisaged a red for one of them and then a back four missing two centre backs for Grimsby.  Luckily this did not come to pass.

But on the whole, this performance was not too different to last seasons showing at Woking - we got the ball down and moved it very well, and were unlucky not to score.  Whilst it is difficult to imagine getting anything from Grimsby, it is not completely out of the question.

In terms of squad strength it is my contention that Rankine + Bowerman > Gillespie + Perry, and that it is just too early to tell the strength of the (O'Keefe or Griffith) vs (Williams or Wilkinson).

On the other hand we could easily lose our first 6 games - but I will be at Dover next Saturday to see the next (but one) instalment.
marshall maybe like mal bailey in the air but without seeing bailey I'd guess he didn't get turned so easily if he did he wouldn't be in a championship winning team rankine is not a bad player but will only be good if we play like Telford and forest green wasn't impressed by bowerman but that's not to say he won't do well it was improvement on forest green game and we finished with a better formation and line. Up

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 07:04:04 AM »

I don't think we will win today but as far as our squad is concerned, we have lost to fgr home and woking away (both title fighting teams).  The only stand out fixture is guisley away, a feat they continued by also beating kiddy 1-0 at home.  Had one of those near misses gone in, I'm not sure it would be all doom and gloom, first points away at dover and then more bank holiday monday at southport
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Jimmy

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 10:08:24 AM »

No shame in losing to Woking but they are certainly not fighting for the tittle
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:31:22 AM by Jimmy »

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 12:50:56 PM »

The only title Woking will be winning, is biggest collection of generic fun pubs in one town in the UK

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 11:08:22 PM »

I think that was an improvement!!!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Improvement