Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The last time we won the first 5 league games in a season...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The last time we won the first 5 league games in a season...  (Read 9296 times)

Hamilton

Re: The last time we won the first 5 league games in a season...
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »

You have to go a long way to get hold of as fine an ale as Dunham Massey Ales.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »

Almost more worth the trip up than Alty!
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 04:57:07 PM »

The sad remains of Boddingtons are now brewed in Preston by someone called Samlesbury or similar. The cask version continued via Hydes brewery in an inferior form until Hydes moved last year. In fairness why would Hydes produce a brand not featuring their own name to a high standard? All that remains is an inferior keg and canned version that bears no resemblance to a once great and iconic beer. A beer I cut my drinking teeth on, such a travesty.
We are however well blessed these days if partial to real beer, more around than ever and Dunham Massey ales are as good as Boddies ever was if you ask me.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Hamilton

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »

So many bland, stereotypical mass produced beers; it is always a treat to find that oasis of quality now and again. Up this neck of the woods I have to rely on the odd bottled ale  :(

taxi Phil

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2013, 08:03:56 PM »

So many bland, stereotypical mass produced beers; it is always a treat to find that oasis of quality now and again. Up this neck of the woods I have to rely on the odd bottled ale  :(
In your neck of the woods (do the bears actually **** there ?) you should be able to pick up an excellent bottled ale called Joker IPA, brewed by Williams of Falkirk. Usually buy it in Booth's down here.

Hamilton

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2013, 08:17:03 PM »

In your neck of the woods (do the bears actually **** there ?) you should be able to pick up an excellent bottled ale called Joker IPA, brewed by Williams of Falkirk. Usually buy it in Booth's down here.

I'll look out for that. I wish we had Booths up here; best selection of ales.

(and the natives **** in the streets!)

taxi Phil

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2013, 08:21:55 PM »

Booth's are bad for my personal economy.......every time I get a £20 fare to Knutsford or Media City, I spend half as much again on ale !

Hamilton

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 08:23:51 PM »

Booth's are bad for my personal economy.......every time I get a £20 fare to Knutsford or Media City, I spend half as much again on ale !

;D

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 03:27:33 PM »

... we never have!!

But two precedents for 4 wins on the bounce:

77-78 Worksop (h), Lancaster (a), Scarboro (a) (from 1-0 down with 10 men), Gateshead (h) - but followed by 3 draws and then consecutive home defeats by Frickley and Buxton.  Finished in second place a long way behind Mossley

67-68 New Brighton (h), Stalybridge (a), Frickley (a), Stalybridge (h) - followed by home draw with unfancied Buxton.  Finished second behind Macc that season.  Our first 3 home games attracted crowds of 3395, 3719 and 3812.

In terms of crowds the Stockport game was our biggest home league gate since "3000" saw us beat Barnet 4-1 on 30 April 1991 and before that 3146 saw us draw 2-2 with Wigan on 28 Dec 1974, when Everton tickets were on sale.

The last time we had more in Moss Lane in any competition than for County was 3302 against Darlington in the FA Cup on 8th December 2001, so a bigger gate than the Cup matches against Burton, Millwall and Luton

How did we do in the 6th game of 1967/8?

Altyroo

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »

Going back to that brilliant day in 91 against Barnet, the attendance that i was unoficially told was 4450. Still to this day dont know what it was actually but Moss Lane looked wonderful packed to the rafters. I was in the Golf Road and beleive me it was full. Alas times have changed and NON league football is now all too proffesional. I still believe we are the biggest NON league team and attract some of the biggest crowds for semi professional football, apart from these new fangeled AFC or FC glory hunters with no history. Long live the Alty.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »

... we never have!!

77-78 Worksop (h), Lancaster (a), Scarboro (a) (from 1-0 down with 10 men), Gateshead (h) - but followed by 3 draws and then consecutive home defeats by Frickley and Buxton.  Finished in second place a long way behind Mossley

67-68 New Brighton (h), Stalybridge (a), Frickley (a), Stalybridge (h) - followed by home draw with unfancied Buxton.  Finished second behind Macc that season.  Our first 3 home games attracted crowds of 3395, 3719 and 3812.

In terms of crowds the Stockport game was our biggest home league gate since "3000" saw us beat Barnet 4-1 on 30 April 1991 and before that 3146 saw us draw 2-2 with Wigan on 28 Dec 1974, when Everton tickets were on sale.

The last time we had more in Moss Lane in any competition than for County was 3302 against Darlington in the FA Cup on 8th December 2001, so a bigger gate than the Cup matches against Burton, Millwall and Luton

3-2 victory at Ellesmere Port....followed by a 4-3 defeat at Buxton in the seventh league fixture.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 07:58:34 AM »

... we never have!!

77-78 Worksop (h), Lancaster (a), Scarboro (a) (from 1-0 down with 10 men), Gateshead (h) - but followed by 3 draws and then consecutive home defeats by Frickley and Buxton.  Finished in second place a long way behind Mossley

67-68 New Brighton (h), Stalybridge (a), Frickley (a), Stalybridge (h) - followed by home draw with unfancied Buxton.  Finished second behind Macc that season.  Our first 3 home games attracted crowds of 3395, 3719 and 3812.

3-2 victory at Ellesmere Port....followed by a 4-3 defeat at Buxton in the seventh league fixture.

So a win tomorrow makes it our best start since 1962/3 by my reckoning.

Did we draw or lose game 7 in 1962/3?

roytonmike

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2013, 09:48:51 AM »

... we never have!!
77-78 Worksop (h), Lancaster (a), Scarboro (a) (from 1-0 down with 10 men), Gateshead (h) - but followed by 3 draws and then consecutive home defeats by Frickley and Buxton.  Finished in second place a long way behind Mossley
67-68 New Brighton (h), Stalybridge (a), Frickley (a), Stalybridge (h) - followed by home draw with unfancied Buxton.  Finished second behind Macc that season.  Our first 3 home games attracted crowds of 3395, 3719 and 3812.
Drew 1-1 at home to Stafford.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2013, 09:35:53 AM »

... we never have!!
Drew 1-1 at home to Stafford.

Thanks Mike....so a win today & we match our start to 1962/3.

Do we know if that was our best ever start?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2013, 10:01:13 AM »

65/6 must be out best overall start.  When the draw was made for the 3rd round of the FA Cup in December ( away Wolves), we were still unbeaten in ALL competitions.  I will look at where we were after 6, 8 and 10 games later. 

However the sting in the tail re 62/3 (and why I missed it in looking for 5 wins on the bounce) was that we finished mid table with a woeful second half of the season
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The last time we won the first 5 league games in a season...