PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Perspective
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 5589 times)

markecky

Re: Perspective
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 10:14:54 PM »

All threads on this forum either end with some carry on style joke thats about as funny as herpes or someone with a completely radical view generated because they love the manager/hate the manager.

I thought it was about Altrincham Football Club.

I am starting to realise why only about 30 of our 750 hardcore actually post on here.

And before calling me names "Non Leaguer", have the decency to read my posts properly where I was actually agreeing with you.

This forum drives me to drink.

Apologies for taking the post further off topic from what was a superb point, well made.

Maybe the positive nature of it upset people.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 10:30:35 PM »

All threads on this forum either end with some carry on style joke thats about as funny as herpes or someone with a completely radical view generated because they love the manager/hate the manager.

Top bombing!  :D
Come on Alty!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 10:58:38 PM »

Cheers Joe for the comment. Feel free to join the "happy clappers" who toe the management line.

Did they sing I believe?
Ha ha brilliant top tune as well
ParkINson's red and white army

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 12:34:54 AM »

Despite today's match (which I didn't see) I am still very optimistic about how this season will end. I saw us against Wimbledon and Luton -2 of the best teams in this league - and we gave them a game. As others have pointed out, we are 5 points from safety and it's a month before Christmas. We are a lot more positive and sleeves rolled up than the shambolic start. We have nothing to lose. Things are improving and there's time.

RocketDan

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 11:26:32 AM »

Thinking that we can pick off games at will against unfashionable sides is not the best plan. We need to go out instilled with the view that we will win each and every game we play. Otherwise we fall into the losing habit and the task gets harder.

Even the most optimistic fan wouldn't have expected anything other than a loss yesterday, perhaps the scoreline flatters crawley, perhaps it doesn't. My point is this, all teams have points targets for the season, for us it's probably about 50 points. Realistically the easiest and most likely way of achieving this is by beating other struggling teams. The next four games Cambridge (away), Forest Green (home),  Tamworth (away), Histon (home) are far more important than matches against Crawley because its a double effect - Not just do you fail to pick up points, but the teams you are chasing go further ahead. Perhaps not cambridge but the other three are genuine 6 pointers we MUST win. Less that 7 points of of these four games would be disastrous.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to win every game, compare our situation with Wigan away at Manchester United yesterday, certainly a big gap in their level of expectations from the game. Wigan tried but ultimately were beaten by a better team. Robert Martinez can't be too down because any points  picked up at the big boys is a bonus. They must set targets for every match at the start of the season in order to meet there long term goal, anything gained on top of this is a bonus.

On a side note to put a positive spin on things.....

Our form from our last 5 games is W2-D1-L3   
7 points from 5 games, this is on a par with Fleetwood, Mansfield and Grimsby.
Play-off contenders.

brian1925

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 01:42:53 PM »

A forum is a place where fans can voice opinions. Here is mine. Yesterday we lost 7-0. It doesn't matter who it was against, it was 7-0 and that is very depressing. Nevertheless, our next 4 games are a bit better, so I guess all we can do is echo RocketDan's sentiments and hope. Perhaps overnighters should be saved for games we feel we have half a chance in and the money saved spent on bringing in some much needed cover at the back?

markecky

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 01:45:59 PM »

A forum is a place where fans can voice opinions. Here is mine. Yesterday we lost 7-0. It doesn't matter who it was against, it was 7-0 and that is very depressing. Nevertheless, our next 4 games are a bit better, so I guess all we can do is echo RocketDan's sentiments and hope. Perhaps overnighters should be saved for games we feel we have half a chance in and the money saved spent on bringing in some much needed cover at the back?

If you are saving overnighters for games you feel you have a chance in, then you are effectively making a list of games you'll lose.  Any manager who did that would and should be sacked.

I'll say it again, as McKenna said on Wednesday, he goes into every game believing he can win it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 01:48:33 PM by markecky »

brian1925

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 02:02:16 PM »

I understand the point you're making Ecky, but surely we have to be realistic. It'd have been a miracle if we'd taken a point from Crawley yesterday and that's not just said with hindsight. A don't know whether a new loan centre back would have made much difference yesterday, but it may in the next few games, which are absolutely vital for us.

markecky

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 02:15:56 PM »

I understand the point you're making Ecky, but surely we have to be realistic. It'd have been a miracle if we'd taken a point from Crawley yesterday and that's not just said with hindsight. A don't know whether a new loan centre back would have made much difference yesterday, but it may in the next few games, which are absolutely vital for us.

Fully agree mate and we as fans (as we do) are allowed to say "we don't have a prayer tomorrow".

I know Kenny is trying to get players in as much as we want them in.  It must be very frustrating for him.

Lets hope Smithys injury is not a bad one...

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 04:18:46 PM »

This table makes interesting reading: http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/table10.htm

We've played one home game against a team in the bottom half of the table. That was against Barrow and we won 2-0.

Of the five defeats that we've had at home four have come against teams that are at the moment in the top six.

If you compare it to this table from last season it's quite possible that things won't look much different: http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/table09.htm

Last season we won 22 points in home games against teams in the bottom half of the table (although we also had five away wins against teams in the bottom half, a task that may be tough to repeat). We've only played one of these games so far!

The biggest challenge will be not throwing in the towel before these games have even been played. Keeping positive isn't necessarily blind optimism, believing the team are capable of winning these games could be important for the morale of the club in general.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 04:27:17 PM »

This table makes interesting reading: http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/table10.htm

We've played one home game against a team in the bottom half of the table. That was against Barrow and we won 2-0.

Of the five defeats that we've had at home four have come against teams that are at the moment in the top six.

If you compare it to this table from last season it's quite possible that things won't look much different: http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/table09.htm

Last season we won 22 points in home games against teams in the bottom half of the table (although we also had five away wins against teams in the bottom half, a task that may be tough to repeat). We've only played one of these games so far!

The biggest challenge will be not throwing in the towel before these games have even been played. Keeping positive isn't necessarily blind optimism, believing the team are capable of winning these games could be important for the morale of the club in general.

Of everything I've read in the last few days on here, this post has got me thinking the most. Very interesting comparison, thank you.

Bath Alty

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 07:34:44 PM »

That is what my occasional 54 point par table tries to do, i.e. allow for ease of fixtures played by both us and those around us.  Earlier in the season the difference was more marked but we are still just about OK on that basis.  The table comparison above is much more striking though
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:38:51 PM by Bath Alty »

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 08:17:46 AM »

I still think we have every chance of getting out of this.
There are at least 4 teams (probably more) in this league that we are superior to, as long as we believe in ourselves we could be out of the bottom 4 by Xmas.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Perspective