PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bumper Crowd?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bumper Crowd?  (Read 6366 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Bumper Crowd?
« on: April 25, 2007, 12:51:34 PM »

It states on John Laidlar's ever-excellent website that "Altrincham FC are hoping for a bumper gate" for the Aldershot game on Saturday......but are we honestly expecting many more than the usual suspects to turn out for this one?

It would be nice to think that we could attract over 2,000 spectators, as Tamworth did last Saturday, but the eternal pessimist in me just doesn't believe that this will happen.

Have any additional incentives been pondered over to tempt locals through the turnstiles? 

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Bumper Crowd?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 12:53:58 PM »

I don't think we had a big crowd against Grays(?) at the end of last season so I don't think we will this time either. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 01:00:08 PM »

I don't think we had a big crowd against Grays(?) at the end of last season so I don't think we will this time either. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Slightly different circumstances I think this time. Last year it didn't really matter what happened on the pitch as we were already mathematically safe (in theory at least).

I think we will get a decent crowd but nowhere near 2000. There is the incentive of free entry for under 14's which is good, but I really feel it would have been beneficial to offer slightly cheaper prices on the gate for adults as well. A lot of regulars would gladly use whatever money they save on the gate to either buy drinks in the bar or throw in the half time buckets. It worked for Tamworth last week and I'd like to have seen us try the same thing.

The game hasn't been as well promoted in the town as it might have been.

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 01:01:26 PM »

Here at work, people are talking about our big game on Saturday and wishing us luck.  However getting these floating punters through the turnstiles is a different kettle of fish.  It’s a problem clubs such as Alty have had for years, the majority of football ‘fans’ around here would rather be a ‘Radio Red’ or follow City via Ceefax.  It’s sad but true.

2000 for Saturday?  I think we would do well to get that to be honest.

COME ON ALTY

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 01:04:05 PM »

If you remember the KIddy game when we got relegated, hardly anyone turned up 7-800 , so have my doubts.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 01:06:06 PM »

The club should have done a two for one offer so regulars could bring a friend free., this is the best way to double the gate.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 01:22:12 PM »

I'm going to get on my soapbox now so I apologise in advance:

"Altrincham F.C. are hoping for a bumper crowd..."

In real terms what has actually been done to try and achieve this?

It's like me saying "I'm really hoping for a big wage packet this month" and then sitting on my arse and doing no overtime.

Fair enough, the incentive has been offered to under-14's and this is great. However, to bring in supporters other than the same old faces the game needs to be advertised outside ofthe usual media (namely the Messenger and the website).  Yesterday I took the time to put together a simple poster and letter to fax to various local schools in an attempt to drum up extra support for the game. I found myself asking "why isn't this being done already?" We're our own worst enemy sometimes and all it requires is a bit of common sense. I don't mean any offence to the people who work really hard at the football club on a daily basis but simply saying "We're hoping for a big turnout" is not going to yield the required numbers when Saturday comes. Let's hope I'm wrong. 

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 01:25:08 PM »

If you remember the KIddy game when we got relegated, hardly anyone turned up 7-800 , so have my doubts.

Incorrect.

The attendance for the Alty v Kidderminster game that day was 1,761.

Admittedly, Kidderminster brought a few that day as Champions.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 01:27:17 PM »

Incorrect.

The attendance for the Alty v Kidderminster game that day was 1,761.

Admittedly, Kidderminster brought a few that day as Champions.

my mistake i thought it was around 1300.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 01:27:31 PM »

I'm going to get on my soapbox now so I apologise in advance:

"Altrincham F.C. are hoping for a bumper crowd..."

In real terms what has actually been done to try and achieve this?

It's like me saying "I'm really hoping for a big wage packet this month" and then sitting on my arse and doing no overtime.

Fair enough, the incentive has been offered to under-14's and this is great. However, to bring in supporters other than the same old faces the game needs to be advertised outside ofthe usual media (namely the Messenger and the website).  Yesterday I took the time to put together a simple poster and letter to fax to various local schools in an attempt to drum up extra support for the game. I found myself asking "why isn't this being done already?" We're our own worst enemy sometimes and all it requires is a bit of common sense. I don't mean any offence to the people who work really hard at the football club on a daily basis but simply saying "We're hoping for a big turnout" is not going to yield the required numbers when Saturday comes. Let's hope I'm wrong. 

Slade Green Alty,

You have hit the nail exactly on the head.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »

The Messenger ARE doing some excellent publicity.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 01:34:55 PM »

That's good to hear! The Messenger have been fantastic for a long time now and that looks set to continue for a long time to come.

I just wish we could branch out a bit as the Messenger only targets a relatively limited audience.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 01:37:09 PM »

Gary,

The Messenger support has been consistently laudable since Mike Crockett set the ball rolling.

But, be honest, how many people do actually read that paper rather than line their budgie's cage with it?

Are we just hoping for a bigger attendance or is something being tried to create it?

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 01:44:02 PM »

The letters page of the Messenger is an excellent read, I thoroughly recommend it.

As for promotion of the game perhaps all of the various junior football clubs that have visited over the season should have been given free tickets for Saturday's game. Similarly it may have been an idea to give free tickets to all those kids that play for the newly formed Altrincham junior teams.

Although the free entrance for U14s is laudable I can't help but think that it may have been better to extend it to U16s, the financial loss would have been minimal compared to the greater number of bodies through the turnstiles.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

baldrick

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 01:47:55 PM »

Grays and Halifax both got disappointing attendances last night and i think this trend will continue on Saturday. Special offers are ok but you can't bribe people into giving their support on a long term basis. Most of the kids i have seen at recent games don't even watch the match. Television has produced a generation that never attend a live game.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bumper Crowd?