PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FAO Liam Brownhill
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FAO Liam Brownhill  (Read 5867 times)

Alty365

FAO Liam Brownhill
« on: July 09, 2008, 05:17:39 PM »

From the Messenger Website:

New Robin ready to rise

By Connor Murphy »

CHRIS Denham has experienced that sinking feeling in the past and it’s something he’s keen not to experience again any time soon.

A key player at Droylsden last season, the tricky forward spent the entire campaign scrapping it out in the lower echelons of the Blue Square Premier.

And ultimately it was all in vain, as the Bloods suffered the dreaded drop - a frustrating finale for Denham, who was impressive despite his side’s struggles.

Following Droylsden’s relegation, several clubs - including big-spending Rushden and Diamonds - battled it out for the 25-year-old’s signature but he eventually plumped for Alty.

Some might see that as jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire but Denham certainly doesn’t.

Speaking exclusively to SAM Sport, he said: “Last season was hard work because most weeks you were trying to pick yourself up after another defeat to try and prepare for the coming game.

“When you’re at the bottom of the table, your confidence is low and you need people there to look after you and put an arm round you. You always need picking up.

“That’s definitely not what I want this season, I don’t want to be down there again. Getting beat week in, week out is not what I want to be doing.

“Our aim has to be to get safe as soon as we possibly can and then, depending on how we’re playing, get as far up the table as we can.

“Alty have been reprieved three years in a row so everyone here, including the new players, has a point to prove.”

But from what he has seen at the club so far, Denham believes Alty have what it takes to survive in the Blue Square Premier on merit.

He said: “I’ve been impressed by the players Graham (Heathcote) has brought in.

“I know Kevin Street well and he’s been about for years and has plenty of experience. Dale Johnson was always a handful when he was at Droylsden last year and all of the other players brought in should add to the team as well.

“But I’m looking forward to playing with the likes of Colin Little as well, there is some real quality in the squad.

I’ve been impressed with the set-up here and the training is a lot better than I’m used to, we should be at peak fitness by the start of the season.

“The squad are all getting on well together and it’s been really enjoyable so far.”

Although Denham was often singled out as Droylsden's stand out performer last season, the player himself believes he never quite reached his full potential.

Goalscoring is one area in particular where he sees plenty of room for improvement and believes Alty is the perfect club to continue his development.

He added: "I know Graham and he's been asking me for a few years if I'd be interested in joining Alty.

"He rang me again this summer but at the time I was still umming and ahhing over my future.

"But when I decided to stay part-time, I respect Graham so I went back to him and said I wanted to join.

"It's a big club and I'm excited to be here. Now I just want to do my best for Alty and the fans can be sure that I'll give my all whenever I'm out on the pitch.

"I'm not sure where I'll be playing yet though and where I'll fit in. Last season I played wide right but because we were on the back foot so much I didn't get the chance to go forward as much as I'd like.

"There's a possibility I could play up front this season and I am definitely aiming to score more goals than I did last season."

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: FAO Liam Brownhill
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 05:25:28 PM »

Far too many long words in that article.

You will need to translate it into text speak so that Mister Brownhill will be able to comprehend it all....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

The Fan

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 06:49:44 PM »

Quickly broken down into "Brownhill speak" it reads: "U maid a big missteak bye tayking the muney insted of luking to beter urselve in a hy-er leege"

Roman

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:26:05 PM »

Wow its amazin how much brownhill's decision has got to you 3 weeks after and your still carrying on its now time to move on and forget about it.

Mr Denham obviously has his own views on how to progress but Part-time over Full-time football, training 2 times a week over 5 times a week i think he would have come on a lot more playing full-time football, i mean look at Lewis Chalmers he is a 100 times the player he was at alty because of full-time football...now he is someone in my opinion who has made a wrong decision.

But i for one wont slag him off as that is his decision, and everyone has there own opinion

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:45:55 PM »

If he looked at his options and decided to keep his job outside of the game and stay part time, Altrincham are the best part time side in the north. Simple fact. As was proven by the 6 points and 5-2 aggregate scoreline against Droylsden last season. Quite an easy decision then I think. With Garry Hill's track record as a classic 'sh*t or bust' merchant (Hornchurch, Weymouth) I don't think you could blame him for turning down the Direones.

You enjoy going to watch Liam in front of 250 vs Hucknall on BH Monday and we'll take the 3000 plus vs Wrexham.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:18:28 PM »

Please can we get off Liam's case once and for all.
The lad had made his decision at this moment in time to join another club so lets just respect it.
I dont recall either Liam or Alty "shutting the door and bolting it permanently" which is what some "fans" on this forum are intent on doing.
Unfortunately Alty's history isnt that of a local team with local heros.
I can reall many Alty lads that were good footballers but didnt get past trials for the Robins, when the first team squad was full of Scousers (I am
referring to days when we didnt have either a Youth Team or Reserve side).
Liam is an Alty lad and I wish him the best.

Alty365

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 09:39:46 PM »

I dont recall either Liam or Alty "shutting the door and bolting it permanently" which is what some "fans" on this forum are intent on doing.

That is simply not the case. From a personal point of view I am just flabbergasted that he felt joining Droylsden would be preferable to coming here from a point of view of furthering his career. Denham's comments simply serve to illustrate how wrong his decision was. Inferior training at a smaller club does not seem to be the best way for him to progress in my eyes.

As an aside, this forum is here for people to express opinions whatever they might be. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't give you the right to try and shush people up and stop people criticising Brownhill for what was a very odd decision. I really hope he enjoys the eery silence and muted applause at the Butcher's Arms next year. 

Roman

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 11:13:41 PM »

Liam made a decision and has his opinion like you have your opinion on his decision its not for you or anyone else to criticise it you can only offer your opinion only you dont catch liam coming on slatting your opinion or slatting you personally do...

as for alty being better than drolysden this is not the question what liam believes is better for his career is and at this moment in time he views drolysden as a better place to be to continue his upward curve

I just think the people who come on here a criticise his decision are boring and obviously have nothing better to do...

why dont you place on the forum all the decisions you have made in your life and mark them as good or bad its most probably like the majority are bad ones....

when chris denham signs professional forms for a league club i will gladly say the decision i thought was wrong to join alty was right and my opinion was wrong but lets see what your saying if Liam signs professional forms for a league club in the future...you are likely not to say a word as you will probably still be criticising this decision.

all in all just pathetic sad little people with nothing better to do...think i can only recall about 4 people on here with some sense to be fair

markecky

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 11:36:01 PM »

Do you check for new posts hourly?

There are 800 - 1000 Alty fans out there...if one posts on a forum why do you presume its the view of everyone?

There are 500 Alty fans who have probably never heard of Witton's left back.

The subject has been done o death.  He went to Droylsden because Dave Pace said they would win every week and offered him more money and a wedge in his hand for his holidays.

I can't see why it needs such analysis.

Roman

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:47:49 PM »

Yea i sit here all day everyday waiting for a post....

i never stated it was the view of all alty fans if you read the post properly i mentioned the fans on here and how it was the majority of them...

you are right with one thing it has been done o death the subject so why do fans still come on here talking about it?? must have meant more to them than they let on haha

Players look better in a winning team than they do in a losing one...

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 01:10:47 AM »

Agreed Roman -  Liam's  made his decision, good luck to him. That said don't criticise Alty fans for getting annoyed about his view of our club, team, manager, tactics and prospects for the coming season. Line drawn??

thegazelle

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 01:16:25 AM »

this upward curve??
wasnt he on city books then witton then droylesden doesnt appear to be an upward curve to me

Narcissist

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 07:26:34 AM »

On a slightly more positive note, can I just say that i'm massively impressed by Denham here. The club should take some PR lessons from him!!!

He says exactly what we want to hear, and I firmly believe that he's not just saying it to get off to a flyer with our fans. There's a real buzz around the club and with his belief we can kiss the relegation dog fight goodbye this season!!!

The Fan

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 07:30:25 AM »

"I just think the people who come on here a criticise his decision are boring and obviously have nothing better to do..."

Well I just think that the people who come on here (from other clubs seemingly) who criticise Altrincham fans for having a pop at money hungry left backs ..... are even more boring and clearly have even less to do that they do.

It's a forum for voicing opinions. That is what it is for. Apologies if everyone doesn't agree with yours but if I want to say that black is white, sun is rain and that anyone who joins Droylesden over Altrincham is clearly doing so for the money and not for the good of his "so called" career - I WILL.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 07:32:10 AM by The Fan »

markecky

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 08:37:50 AM »

Jacksons boat win every week.

I agree, Denhams article was exactly what I wanted to hear. 

Maybe he had been locked in a room with the new press team  ;D
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FAO Liam Brownhill